• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S4 No Access to SD Card after Reboot

tonic501

Lurker
Jan 4, 2015
Four days ago I rebooted the phone and the SD card was no longer available. Phone kept indicating "Checking SD card for errors...". The old SD card (see specs below) has been in the phone since day 1 (about 2 years now) with no problems whatsoever. Both phone and old SD card were encrypted from day 1.

Reseating the old SD card had no effect. The data on the old SD card is accessible from a computer.

I purchased a new SD card (see specs below), inserted into the phone and attempted to encrypt it. Encryption never seemed to complete and phone kept indicating "Checking for errors..." and "Encrypting SD card...".

I formatted the new SD card on a Win7 computer (ExFAT). I am able to access the new SD card via the phone as long as I do not attempt to encrypt it. Once I try to encrypt, I loose access to the card and the phone continually displays the "Checking for errors..." and "Encrypting SD card..." messages.

I would really like to encrypt the SD card and do not understand what may be the problem.. or why the phone suddenly didn't like the old SD card.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB SCH-I545 (just under 2 years old)
- Carrier: Verizon
- Android Ver: 4.4.2
- Kernel Ver: 3.4.0, dpi@SWDD6215 #1, Nov 4 23:03:49 KST 2014
- Build #: KOT49H.I545VRUFNK1

Old SD Card: SanDisk Ultra 64GB Class 10 U1

New SD Card: SanDisk Pixtor 64GB Class 10 U3

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones