Samsung Galaxy S4 not receiving or sending texts?Support

Last Updated:

1. jadatruong

jadatruong New Member

So apparently this happened about a week ago, and before that everything was fine. I was receiving texts fine and everything was normal, but I then found out that I haven't been recieving any of my friends or families texts and they havent received mine. I tried to restart my phone and delete all of my messages but it still hasn't worked. I also tried taking out the battery for 30 seconds and putting it back in. And tried taking out the sim card. This is my first samsung galaxy phone and I didnt switch this phone with an iphone. The people I text arent just iphone users, but ALL of the texts I received didn't go through from any type of phone. What do I do? I tried searching online for help but other peoples problems dont relate to mine. Please help me out if you can, and thank you in advance!

2. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like device problem. It sounds like your network problem. Even tho the phone shows the icon, there might be a problem on your carrier's end. Happened to me few times. The carrier support ended up resetting something on my account, and I would get my service back on track in manner of minutes.

I would give them a call, and explain the exact problem.

This might be a silly question, but did you by any chance (accidentally) turned of your DATA connectivity ?
  3. jadatruong

jadatruong New Member

Uuum, im not sure if I accidentally turned off my data connection. But if I did, where would I look to see if I did or not? But if all of it was fine, I should call them? If so thank you for youre help
  4. Ikenstein

Ikenstein Well-Known Member

I've been reading on the forums and a common problem is an auto update to the AT&T Messages app. It causes the problem you've described and disabling the app should solve the issue. If you're not on AT&T, try contacting your carrier as the previous responder suggested.
  5. jadatruong

jadatruong New Member

Uum, quick question, how do I disable the messenger app thing? I know that might seem stupid but I really have no clue. Lol. And thank you for your suggestion!
  6. ChuckFFarrell

ChuckFFarrell Member

Is there a third party app that will let you send and receive text messages without having mobile data active? Just got the S4 and it seems to only send and receive text messages if Mobile Data is enabled. Seems to be using up my data plan minutes? Never had this problem with my HTC Inspire (just saying).

I thnk the real issue may be that the HTC used Mobile Data when it had to (for an MMS for example) but the Samsung requires that Mobile Data be on all the time for SMS and/or MMS to work. If you're not paying attention, you could be out of WiFi range and inadvertantly using Mobile Data since it is on all the time. Do I understand the situation?