• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S5 I'm at my wits end!

Caroline5

Lurker
Jun 11, 2016
I bought my first S5 around February 2015. At first it worked wonderfully, until of course Lollipop was installed.
Since then, no matter how many factory reset etc that I do, nothing is getting resolved and they can't find anything wrong with any of the refurbished phones they send me. I have gone through about 6 phones and they now want to send me another. The last two phones have been the worst. Slow service, people unable to hear me, extra letters and spaces thrown in that I did not type, screen freezing, gets hot, automatically turns off WiFi which then eats up my data, constantly scanning for signal even when I am standing right by modem. Both my husband and my daughter have s5s and neither is having issues like this. Verizon has had me do several factory resets, they have run diagnostic tests, put it in safe mode.
I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do!

You've pretty much hit all the obvious troubleshooting fixes. If your system partition becomes corrupt or infected, then a factory reset won't fix it. However, you say you've been sent replacement phone(s) so I doubt it would happen over multiple devices. One additional, maybe a bad lot got through and they replaced it from the same batch, but more than once? Not that likely.

And, if you say that your husband's and daughter's S5's both work fine ... and you have the same model, carrier and Android version, then I've got to think that barring the highly unlikely chance that you've been sent a series of lemons, then its something with your account or an app you have installed that's causing the problems.

While Verizon phones use their SIM for LTE data only and are still CDMA for everything else, it might not be a bad idea to get a new SIM card and have your phone re-provisioned for their network.

You might try, just for the time being, creating a new Google account and then performing a factory reset and using the new account for a week or two without installing apps to see if the problem lies in the setup and not the system.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones