• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop reboot loop

I have done the factory reset, still rebooting. I have also install Lollipop via Keys, thought everything was OK for a while, but phone keeps rebooting. Any advise please? I am desperate!! My phone is still it's not rooted, still under warranty.

Thank you for your post.

There are currently 35 different models of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and over 3,000 different stock Samsung firmware versions, worldwide, covering 3 different Android platforms, Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4 and Android 5.0.0. Not all issues will affect all models or firmware releases and your answers to the following questions will help in the forum's answers to your specific query.

#1. Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S5 that you have and which Android version you are on.

#2. Your current Firmware, (not just Baseband), version .

To locate your current firmware version, go to the stock, Samsung, dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

This will give you your, "Version", details in full, usually 3 lines of information, AP: CP: CSC:, which may all be relevant.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone Info and it will give you, under Firmware Info... PDA, Baseband, CSC, versions.

#3. Also helpful would be your carrier, (service provider), location, (UK, India, Russia, USA, etc: ), and if your phone is rooted or not and running a custom ROM, (give details).

Thanks. The above helps us to help you and hopefully someone will be able to reply to you shortly. :)

For more information, see, 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours???

(TIP If you are a poster it is a good idea to mention your model number and firmware version in case this has a bearing on your problem.

Better still, if you have 25+ posts to your name, you can go to the black bar at the top of this forum and click on your
Username, which will show a drop down menu. Just select, "Signature", and you can enter in the signature box the details of your phone, i.e. - "Galaxy S5 G900F".This ensures that your device details are shown in every post you make. You can update this as often as you like and will help other users immediately identify your phone and firmware.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Robin Fosse
Upvote 0
Hello all

The same happened for me today , I did ota update to 5.0 and then the phone keeps rebooting, I somehow found out that turning off the wifi will do the trick and sofar no reboot of the phone is happening and looks like working normally, except I have no usb connection to try to force new update via kies and no wifi connectivity, if I enable wifi it goes for reboot in 5 to 10 sec. but try disable wifi..

I just registered as i have the exact same problem here.
Installed the Update yesterday (OTA) after i downloaded it 3 days before, but had to free same space and backuped photos.
But i never expected such shit to come and so i did noct do a complete backup of sms,wa,threema etc pp

So i have to thank you very much! i hope i can backup my data with usb before doing an hard reset, as i need wifi as all of you.

Are we the only ones here having this issue? i typed my fingeres bloody by searching for this problem in german forums etc pp. couldnt find anyone having it.

Upvote 0
KIES is showing me a new Update. Some suggestions? Did anyone of you got this?

I looked at Kies 3.0 and it does show that Verizon has a new release...
it is not an update (my opinion)

I refuse to allow it to ever happen, posh on 5.x

now that it is showing on Kies, it makes me wonder IF the install were done via Kies, if that would negate all the crap of the downloading it twice via OTA. That alone could help prevent some botched installs for folks.

any tried this when you went from 4.4.4 to 5.0 via Kies on a Verizon phone?

I would still highly suggest that you do a FR on the 4.4.4 phone before you allow the 5.0 software to install. IMO, leaving a lot of junk on the phone (apps, etc) is causing a lot of unneeded problems.

Upvote 0
FR highly recommended. But think about the amount of Ppl having this phone.
Why do they allow such a update without FR before? And most of the people doing an OTA Update surely dont know anything to do...they wont find android forums at all unfortunately.

So i think if Samsung does it...it has to work! It is no PC with Hardware in Custom Style.
It is a 600$ Phone!

i would not have installed th eupdate if there wasn´t a push message :(
Ok, sorry for OT!

_________

Did the OA3 Lollipop after backing up everything (USB worked for me with some difficulties with KIES as it switched WiFi on). No difference to NL9 as far as i noticed.

Will try FR and reinstalling apps at the weekend. But i think its more an gApps Problem than from the Apps.

@Robin Fosse everything working for you after FR and installing as new device? Google Sync on again?

Upvote 0
Most of my messages (sms) were backed up through Samsung's Cloud. Cant remember ever saying yes to it, but I'm not complaining. For images, I always use dropbox sync :)

Install SuperBackup, it will make backups that you can store locally, on the extSDcard, email to yourself, send to DropBox, and more.

I do not depend on just one kind of backup, I use this one as my primary daily or weekly backup, and Kies 3.0 as my Restore the phone backup.

With Kies, I do not worry about backing up the images or the apps because it takes sooooo long for Kies to run. I am primarily interested in using Kies as a System Backup of the phone to a certain point in time when the phone was working correctly.

SuperBackup is so fast, other methods aren't needed. Just be sure to store your backups in more than one place. Never put all of your eggs in one basket.

* Super Backup : SMS & Contacts, apps and more - Android Apps on Google Play

Upvote 0
@Robin Fosse everything working for you after FR and installing as new device? Google Sync on again?

After installing 5.0 and doing Factory Reset and setting it up as a new device it works like a charm.
After this I could sync with Google. I lost all settings for all apps and had to reinstall all apps, but I think it was for the better; got to clean up alot of shit on mye phone and battery has improved drastically. Not sure if 5.0 or clean install is to thank for this!

Also, I don't think Samsung is to blame for this...
From what I understand this is caused by the user, some settings or apps installed
(This is just what I believe.. :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: headda and ironass
Upvote 0
Over the weekend I tried upgrading my Samsung S4 from KitKat to the latest version of Lollypop through Kies3. Half way through the installation (after download), I used to get the message 'PC cannot recognize the device' (or something similar as I don't remember the exact wordings). I tried thrice and it failed all the times.
I then upgraded directly on my phone without connecting to the PC. Ever since then, my phone continuously reboots on reaching the lock screen i.e. the sequence is as follows [The phone starts booting with the Samsung Logo -> After about 8 seconds, the phone reaches the lock screen -> Within the next 3 seconds the phone reboots]. The sequence repeates continuously. I remoeved memory, sim and tried SAFE modes, none were successful. I disabled WiFi switch on the top of the screen and this issue stopped. But whenever I enable WiFi, it again start rebooting. I am currently managing only with 3G, I hope a fix will be released soon if this is a known issue.

Upvote 0
Over the weekend I tried upgrading my Samsung S4 from KitKat to the latest version of Lollypop through Kies3. Half way through the installation (after download), I used to get the message 'PC cannot recognize the device' (or something similar as I don't remember the exact wordings). I tried thrice and it failed all the times.
I then upgraded directly on my phone without connecting to the PC. Ever since then, my phone continuously reboots on reaching the lock screen i.e. the sequence is as follows [The phone starts booting with the Samsung Logo -> After about 8 seconds, the phone reaches the lock screen -> Within the next 3 seconds the phone reboots]. The sequence repeates continuously. I remoeved memory, sim and tried SAFE modes, none were successful. I disabled WiFi switch on the top of the screen and this issue stopped. But whenever I enable WiFi, it again start rebooting. I am currently managing only with 3G, I hope a fix will be released soon if this is a known issue.
I never tried disabling WiFi...
I'd just do a factory reset and be done with it :)
At least you can backup what you need and save screenshots of apps installed and homescreen and whatnot.

Upvote 0
Hey you guys,
I got the same issue here, with my fiancee's S5! Reading this thread, I realized that the reboot issue was associated with the wireless settings. So, between reboots, I turned on the airplane mode (or offline mode) and the phone rebooted one more time and a system alert appeared saying that there was an error with the update and telling me to connect the phone to kies to update again or take it to am Samsung store. I connected it to kies 3 and the software automatically told me that there was an system update to my phone. It's now downloading the update, but I'm pretty sure it will work! I'll let you know other wise!

I hope I could help a little bit!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Is it possible to do the downgrade, but keep all files, apps and docs?? If so, what part of the firmware should I upload to the phone, and what not? I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have! I'm not using my phone for close to two months now :/

Peace!

Devvie
twitter.com/devnullius

Post-edit: I also asked the question here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...downgrade-samsung-galaxy-s5-i-m-bootloop.html

You appear to have the stock, unbranded, Samsung firmware for the Netherlands, CSC code PHN. You seem to be in a boot loop for whatever reason. Have you tried wiping the cache partition of your phone, as per the instructions in #1.3 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide? This will sometimes solve the boot loop problem.

You can flash the stock Samsung firmware to your phone, using Odin and the instructions and video, contained in the links of #1.11 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. However, as with any flashing procedure and considering we do not know what is causing the boot loop in the first place, there are no 100% guarantees that you will not have to do a Factory Data Reset in the end.

Below are both the stock Samsung firmwares for the unbranded Netherlands model, CSC code, PHN. Check that this matches your CSC code. See #1.8 of
40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide for how to do this. Please read both of the Dummies Guides, carefully and thoroughly before proceeding.

Android 5.0 unbranded Netherlands...

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country Netherlands
Version Android 5.0
Changelist 77433514
Build date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 04:39:10 +0000
Product code PHN
PDA G900FXXU1BOB7
CSC G900FPHN1BOB1

Android 4.4.2 unbranded Netherlands...

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country Netherlands
Version Android 4.4.2
Changelist 2089850
Build date Fri, 22 Aug 2014 05:12:00 +0000
Product code PHN
PDA G900FXXU1ANH6
CSC G900FPHN1ANH1

Upvote 0
Today it's time... I lost my spare phone and it's time to finally restore my S5 after the OTA PITA update :(

I indeed have a SM-G900f PHn according to tech support in the Samsung Store.

I was able to disable wifi after many tries by enabling flying mode; it took a bit longer after the reboot to reboot once more so for 40 secs I thought I had it partly solved. It wasn't; still rebooting. Though once in a while I can actually browse some options and stuff before it restarts. Strange part is, despite flying mode is enabled, I *sometime* see wifi on once more: in those cases the reboot indeed if very fast. Sometimes wifi stays off, then I can browse some settings. All folders and apps are still there (until the restart)

According to you guys there is NO guarantee that data won't be erased by downgrading? If data is erased is not decided by Odin nor Odin's settings nor by the image I use to flash the phone? If so, what makes / decides if data stays or gets wiped? Before trying to flash Android 5 once more or even downgrade to 4... I'd like to understand how this works and what's going on.

:) Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Today it's time... I lost my spare phone and it's time to finally restore my S5 after the OTA PITA update :(

I indeed have a SM-G900f PHn according to tech support in the Samsung Store.

I was able to disable wifi after many tries by enabling flying mode; it took a bit longer after the reboot to reboot once more so for 40 secs I thought I had it partly solved. It wasn't; still rebooting. Though once in a while I can actually browse some options and stuff before it restarts. Strange part is, despite flying mode is enabled, I *sometime* see wifi on once more: in those cases the reboot indeed if very fast. Sometimes wifi stays off, then I can browse some settings. All folders and apps are still there (until the restart)

According to you guys there is NO guarantee that data won't be erased by downgrading? If data is erased is not decided by Odin nor Odin's settings nor by the image I use to flash the phone? If so, what makes / decides if data stays or gets wiped? Before trying to flash Android 5 once more or even downgrade to 4... I'd like to understand how this works and what's going on.

:) Thanks!

The prime reason for losing information after updating or downgrading is if a Factory Data Reset is needed to boot the phone up. It is essential that you back up your phone before attempting either of these. See #2.1 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide for how to prepare for a Factory Data Reset. Since the international model of the Galaxy S5, G900F, on Android 5.0 firmware is, by-and-large, very stable it could be your own user apps and settings that may be causing the issue. I would recommend doing a Full Wipe+Factory Data Reset to check out your phone, before attempting to downgrade, which may not solve your problems in any case. See #2.3, #2.4 and #2.5 of the aforementioned guide for how to do this.

You are on the PHN firmware which is unbranded stock Samsung for the Netherlands. If you wish to download this and flash it to your phone, you can do so by downloading the firmware below and use the instructions and video contained in the links of #1.11 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country Netherlands
Version Android 4.4.2
Changelist 2089850
Build date Fri, 22 Aug 2014 05:12:00 +0000
Product code PHN
PDA G900FXXU1ANH6
CSC G900FPHN1ANH1

Please take the time to carefully and thoroughly read both of the Dummies Guides as will answer most questions.

PS: I'm also thinking about the Galaxy S5 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update... Any chances to flash that version (hoping to solve the wifi bug) and keep all my settings? If so, which firmware version should I use? A download link would be greatly appreciated :)

Android 5.1.1 has not been released for the G900F model or, indeed, any non carrier branded models and may well be skipped in favour of Android 6.0.

Upvote 0
Thanks ironass. I'm gonna study the guides once more, see what I learn there.

One question for now: "if a Factory Data Reset is needed to boot the phone up"

Factory data reset is a user conscious action, no? I understand that a factory resets wipes data. What I don't understand (from my previous S3 experiences) is why flashing a firmware sometimes leaves data intact and sometimes removes all data. So where is that decided? :)

Upvote 0
I finally have an error, translated from Dutch:

Updating software failed.

Unable to update firmware. Try again with a PC Program (Kies) or go to a Samsung servicecenter.

I got that error in Safe Mode where I had to disable wifi too (or otherwise it would reboot again).

I'm curious where the firmware update failed then; cause it can boot and show everything as long as wifi options aren't enabled / looked at. Of course I cannot backup anything from safe mode; all apps seem to have disappeared, despite their folders are all still intact.

Upvote 0
Quote: "See #2.1 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide for how to prepare for a Factory Data Reset"

Really?? That's no help. As I stated, I know I should have backed up. I haven't. I won't deal with it either. I try to SOLVE this stupid problem, which *I* didn't cause in the first place ;p Mentioning it here after the fact, explicitly, well... That's just mean! Same for "#2.3, #2.4 and #2.5"

So again: I will NOT do a factory reset!!!

Upvote 0
Another question: from the dummies S5 models guide....

"SM-G900F
.. non carrier branded and lightly, (0, 1, 2 or 3 removable apps and possibly a boot screen), carrier branded. This phone, along with the, "H", model below can be considered as Samsung's benchmark handsets since the hardware can not only run the Android firmware with Samsung's TouchWiz overlay and apps but also the limited carrier branding. So called, "bugfix", updates for these unbranded models is therefore very easy for Samsung to release and can be as often as every 4-8 weeks. Because there is the option of unbranded firmware models, carriers tend to try and keep abreast of the updates sent to them by Samsung."

Does this mean I can pick the (?US) T-Mobile firmware 5.1.1 from here? https://www.androidpit.com/galaxy-s5-android-update There they have 1 S5 model that got the 5.1.1 update. I could not find any other 5.1.1 firmwares for S5 models though. Is that correct? Or is Ironass correct with "Android 5.1.1 has not been released for the G900F model or, indeed, any non carrier branded models and may well be skipped in favour of Android 6.0."

Upvote 0
You cannot flash G900T, T-Mobile (USA), carrier branded firmware to the G900F model. They are 2 different models as shown in the Dummies Guide. ironass is always correct... except when he's wrong! :rolleyes:

Canadian, G900W8, and AT&T, G900A, models are also on Android 5.1.1.
Ironass wrong!!! Surely this isn't possible, next to my wife he's always right! Phil

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones