• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S6 How do I stop my text messages from displaying a preview in the notification bar?

I just got the Samsung Galaxy S6 today. I upgraded from a S4. My text keep showing a preview in the status bar & I can't figure out how to turn it off. Does anyone know how to fix this? Its important because I use my phone for work & can't have something silly showing up at work. :(
I am looking for the same setting and I can't seem to find it either!

Upvote 0
click on your messages app, click on the "More" tab, then click Settings, click on "notifications" tab and then make sure your Pop-up display is off and this should solve your problem. You'll still receive your texts and they'll still arrive in the notification field but that god awful pop up will be gone. Hope this answered your question everyone.

Upvote 0
With much annoyance, a ton of trial, error & Probably 50 test text I've got my pop ups stopped. I disabled the stock messenger & was still getting the pop ups in the 2nd screen shot.
The first one is before disabling it.

I think the second pop up was coming from a pre installed app called "privacy protector" by US Cellular.... I had to go to apps > privacy protector > disable notifications. kinda funny a supposed privacy app that shows your text.

I installed "Chomp Messenger" to replace the stock one. It seems ok.

The third screen shot is a text with chomp as my default messenger.

I would still prefer the standard android messenger if any one can figure it out. I'm all ears.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-12-00-15-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-12-00-15-15.png
    902.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Screenshot_2015-04-11-23-58-26.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-11-23-58-26.png
    941.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot_2015-04-13-07-45-42.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-13-07-45-42.png
    634.4 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
I just got the Samsung Galaxy S6 today. I upgraded from a S4. My text keep showing a preview in the status bar & I can't figure out how to turn it off. Does anyone know how to fix this? Its important because I use my phone for work & can't have something silly showing up at work. :(

open your messager (text) and go to more (top right) then settinge and tap where it says notifications/on and there is a setting to turn off pop up

also to stop it displaying on your lock screen
Go to settings and then sound and notifications then to lock screen notifications and set it to not show notifications on lock screen

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your advice, time and effort. However, none of these solutions work. The name of the contact and the message details are still appearing on the status bar. I have turned off the notifications from the lock screen, I clicked hide info now it just says new message. I am trying to figure out how to make it say just new message on my status bar (notification panel) not the details.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones