• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy SII LTE (skyrocket) (unlocked) upgrade to ICS

shivker

Lurker
Nov 15, 2012
Hi Champs,

I have been struggling to upgrade my UNLOCKED (but NOT rooted) Samsung Galaxy SII LTE (or Skyrocket) (model no. SGH i727). As indicated in Samsung official site, I tried to upgrade using Samsung Kies software but I could n't succeed. The loading of upgrade components itself was highly inconsistent with it freezing at different percentage values of loading (0%, 60, 91%, etc). Only once entire loading was completed (showing 100%), however thereafter a prompt saying 'Connectivity between your mobile & computer no longer exists' (though nothing was disturbed). Fortunately my phone is live on Gingerbread!

I would be extremely grateful if somebody could guide me in this regard. Also please confirm chances of mobile becoming dead in the event of unsuccessful upgrade and possibility of reverting to original Android version- Shiv

Hi guys,
I have a UNLOCKED (NOT ROOTED) Samsung Galaxy SII LTE (Skyrocket). My attempts to upgrade to ICS thru Samsung Kies failed. I did not reset my phone to factory settings before upgrade attempt. Perhaps, could this be the reason for my upgrade failure.

Please tell me if I reset my UNLOCKED phone to factory settings, will it get locked? I had bought this phone from Amazon.com as unlocked phone.

Upvote 0
Hi shivker :hello: and welcome to the forums.

Since you're 2 threads were very similar I merged them into one.

A factory reset won't change your phone being unlocked. Unlocking is more sim related, not software related. Neither should you need to do a factory reset to update with Kies. Since it is usually a good idea to do a factory reset after an update, it wouldn't hurt to try before an update.

Kies softbricking a phone has been known to happen. Especially if you lose connection during the update process. It is usually not hard to recover from using Odin or Kies' Upgrade & Initialization tool.

You could try rebooting both your computer and phone and try Kies again.

Upvote 0
Thanks Mr Atmazzz, for your prompt reply and encouraging words. I shall try yet again & revert to either disturb ot thank U based on the outcome.

One clarification please - When I try to check for update from phone setting option thru net, the prompt says 'current software is upto date. You may try after 24 hrs". This is despite my phone still riding on Gingerbread. However interface with Kies software prompts that firmware upgrade is available.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones