• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 or Asus TF300T

Cocax

Lurker
Sep 16, 2012
I've been researching A LOT and I'm still pretty undecided between the Asus Transformer Pad TF300T and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I want the tablet mainly for college (browsing sites and videos (often with multiple tabs open), reading (sometimes rather heavy) pdf's, docs e powerpoints, taking some notes, etc.) and for some entertainment (web browsing, email, youtube, music and movies). It should be noted I'm not much of a gamer.

So far, what I found was this:
-The Asus has 32gb of memory (with the added bonus of the Asus WebStorage that I think will add to the 32gb of WebStorage provided by my Asus notebook - HUGE plus for me since I need to carry heavy documents to college and need to trade them frequently between my pc and tablet)
-The Asus has a superior processor (but will it be noticeable when browsing with multiple tabs and with really heavy pdfs or just with gaming?)
-The browsing in the Asus one is a bit slower (despite the superior processor)
-The Samsung has a better battery and with less consumption both in standby and heavy working (which is a plus)
-The Samsung has better speakers (not so important to me)
-The Asus has better cameras, both front and back (again, not so important)
-From the numerous reviews I've read, I think the Samsung has a more sturdy plastic construction while the back of the Asus is a bit cheap and the Asus OS/software is a bit more unstable (some freezes and whatnot)
-Asus seems to be more diligent with updates than Samsung (I'm thinking a future Jelly Bean update)
-The Asus TF300T seems to have more community for development than the Galaxy Tab 2. Am I wrong?

I've got the Samsung for a few days and it has been responsive and all, but I haven't done any heavy work on it yet. I can trade it for the Asus next week (they are the same price, without the dock), but I don't know if I should.

What would you advise me to do, based on the usage I want from the tablet? Should I keep the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 or trade it for the Asus Transformer Pad TF300T without the dock?

I want a 10.1 tablet. Also, those tablets are not yet available in store in my country. I'm not interested in buying online because, as I said, I currently have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, so my only option is going to the store where I bought it and trade it.

So, again, the choice is between the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and the Asus Transformer Pad TF300T.

Upvote 0
I want a 10.1 tablet. Also, those tablets are not yet available in store in my country. I'm not interested in buying online because, as I said, I currently have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, so my only option is going to the store where I bought it and trade it.

So, again, the choice is between the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and the Asus Transformer Pad TF300T.

i understand. i was stuck with your situation about buying it in the store than online.

i ended up buying online the galaxy note 10.1 just because its a lot better then the ones they had in stores.

for your decisions it all comes down to what your going to do with the tablet.
watch movies/clips? play games? multitasking ? reading?

Upvote 0
Games certainly not. It's going to be mainly for reading and annotating pdfs, docs and powerpoints (sometimes rather large ones), browsing the internet (often with lots of tabs open at the same time), watching youtube videos, facebook, tumblr, email, etc, and also to listen to music and to watch movies - often lots of these at the same time.

My main doubt is this: with this kind of use, will I take advantage of the Tegra 3 (since I won't be using the tablet for gaming purposes)? Because if the TI dual-core processor of the Samsung is enough (and will be enough for years to come), I'll actually prefer it since the browsing is faster and smoother (don't know why, but it is), it has a better battery life, seems to be more stable and has a more sturdier construction.

Upvote 0
Games certainly not. It's going to be mainly for reading and annotating pdfs, docs and powerpoints (sometimes rather large ones), browsing the internet (often with lots of tabs open at the same time), watching youtube videos, facebook, tumblr, email, etc, and also to listen to music and to watch movies - often lots of these at the same time.

My main doubt is this: with this kind of use, will I take advantage of the Tegra 3 (since I won't be using the tablet for gaming purposes)? Because if the TI dual-core processor of the Samsung is enough (and will be enough for years to come), I'll actually prefer it since the browsing is faster and smoother (don't know why, but it is), it has a better battery life, seems to be more stable and has a more sturdier construction.

Tegra 3 is for gaming its a gaming graphics chip.
id go with the galaxy tab. but if you can save enough for the galaxy note 10.1. it would fit your needs with multitasking .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones