• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Rooting Guide

Hook

Ever since DU... ;-)
Mar 17, 2010
Northern VA, USA
Reactions: scary alien
I have my TAB S. I'm not yet ready to root yet, but when I am I will document what steps I took (assuming I will succeed ;) ). If there are other folks who have rooted this device, feel free to post what you did and, if you have found a good ROM or Kernel, tell us about that too. Hopefully we can end up with a collection of useful recommendations for others that come along. Or, heck, just for me. :D

Otherwise, I'm just going to end up talking to myself. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
So, I rooted my TAB tonight.

I used the instructions in the 3rd post of this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/cf-auto-root-chainfire-t2881826

I used Odin 3.09 rather than the version 3,07 that comes in the zip from Chainfire. This was because someone in post 99 of that thread mentioned that 3.07 had trouble with the latest (Nov 2014) update to this TAB and I had that. Everything went smooth as can be.

The one tricky part was that at first I couldn't get Odin to see/talk to my TAB S. I realized I probably needed to install the Samsung USB drivers which I have avoided because a) everything works fine without them and b) they tend to mess up my Nexus 5's ADB connectivity. However, for this they were needed. So I installed them, rooted and then did a Windows system restore to 2 hours earlier. ;) If I ever need the USB drivers again, I'll do the same.

Upvote 0
Hello All, I am a newby to rooting devices. But I have to tell you, I am getting frustrated with Samsung's restrictions. At this point I do not care about the warranty. Thinking about computers, I know manufactures are always releasing firmware updates for their hardware. I also know every now and then I will get updates pushed out to my Galaxy S5 phone and they are not always Android updates. If/when I root the Tab, will I still get Samsung updates "pushed" to the Tab? Or is that not really a concern? Will I still get the Android updates like my S5 phone, which was just updated to Lollipop?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones