• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Tab S Retail Mode

Hey guys, I just today purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S from Tiger Direct. They only had one model left, and it was the floor model. I said I would get it, since they knocked the price down quite a bit. They handed it over in the box etc. However, its stuck in Retail mode. I contacted them about it, they told me to factory reset the device. However, that administration retail mode prevents that, and I can't even power off the device. What do I do? Is there any way to reset it?

So what happens when you hold in Power for ~10-15 seconds? Does it reboot?
And when you try to factory reset from settings, does it ask for a password or what?
Nothing happens when holding anything down. As for the factory settings, its just greyed out. It says there is a device administration account on it. However, when I try and deactivate it, it just is greyed out as well.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
So you've checked in settings, security, device administrators to see if there's one there you can uncheck?
That's really weird that this mode has blocked the ability to reboot by holding in Power, I didn't think that was possible tbh
There is one there I can uncheck, its Samsung Retail Mode. However, when I try and uncheck it/deactivate, it won't let me. Its SM-T700

Upvote 0
Ok I found this http://www.dorylabs.com/deactivate-remove-galaxy-s5-demo-retail-mode/
And from reading that it's going to involve reflashing the tablet with factory firmware using a PC (it's loaded with a different firmware (operating system) from stock consumer units).
So they should never have sold you it in that condition and unless you're comfortable using the odin software on a PC then I'd just take it back to them.
It's very do-able if you wanna get your hands a bit dirty but they seriously saw you coming when they sold you that tablet :(

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
If you read that link and follow the info, the only thing that should be different for you is the firmware you flash using Odin (for the tab s instead of the s5) so, as I said, it's do-able and fairly safe to do :thumbsupdroid:

I'd at least follow the steps they say until using Odin and see if that works and even if you take the next step and try flashing it, if it fails it should just fail and you should still get your money back. If it works you've got yourself a bargain

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I should imagine that resetting from retail demo mode was made intentionally difficult, because after all they don't want people factory resetting the shop demonstration models. It can't be done just by playing with, pressing buttons, and manipulating the device itself.

Having the thing stuck in retail demo mode, could rather like buying a shirt and them not removing the anti-theft security tag. I've had that happen, and the only thing could do is take it back for them to remove it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So how did you factory reset yours?? Please help...
For the demo mode? Make sure your device allows debugging. Download the Android SDK. Then open a command prompt in the sdk folder once its downloaded. Connect your device and make sure its noticeable by the command prompt by doing adb devices. After that, do adb reboot and hold power button, volume down, and home button while it reboots. If that doesn't work, use the command adb shell, then adb wipe data. If that doesn't work, use the first step combined with the 2nd. Meaning use the wipe data command while its reboot and hold down the buttons. Thats what worked for me.

Upvote 0
For the demo mode? Make sure your device allows debugging. Download the Android SDK. Then open a command prompt in the sdk folder once its downloaded. Connect your device and make sure its noticeable by the command prompt by doing adb devices. After that, do adb reboot and hold power button, volume down, and home button while it reboots. If that doesn't work, use the command adb shell, then adb wipe data. If that doesn't work, use the first step combined with the 2nd. Meaning use the wipe data command while its reboot and hold down the buttons. Thats what worked for me.
Hey Summit14, could you please list step by step process to reset my Tab S 8.4 that is stuck in retail mode? I just bought the display model from the store I work at for $25 and can't figure out how to reset it.

Upvote 0
Hey Summit14, could you please list step by step process to reset my Tab S 8.4 that is stuck in retail mode? I just bought the display model from the store I work at for $25 and can't figure out how to reset it.
If you are unable to perform a factory reset through the settings menu,can you do it via the device's recovery?

Instructions for that can be found here.

Upvote 0

hi Summit14
my tablet is galxy tab s 8.4 retail mod, please help me to remove retail mode step by step.
please :(:(:(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones