Samsung Galaxy Tab Specifications

Last Updated:

1. DellThunderSmartphone

DellThunderSmartphone Guest This Topic's Starter

;)

Android 2.2 running TouchWiz 3.0
    7-inch TFT LCD with 1024 x 600 resolution (WSVGA)
    Weighs 380 grams
    1GHz Cortex A8 processor
    16GB or 32GB internal storage
    microSD expansion for up to 32GB additional storage
    Front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera and rear 3 megapixel camera with flash
    4,000mAh battery

Advertisement
  2. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Guessing the VZW verzion will be the lower 16gb, since they tend to get go that route- case in point 2gb on the Fascinate.

3. jfoey22

jfoey22 Well-Known Member

Is the processor supposed to be better than the Snapdragon? Same Clock Rate.

4. kmq

kmq Member

Price: way out of my budget.
    I really wanted it but not if it's move expensive than iPad (i don't care about phone part, cams or microSD)

5. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

6. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I don't think they would price it more then the iPad , that just wouldn't e a good move

has there been anything mentioned about the price or release date?

7. rushmore

The internal memory of the Tab is just 2gb for apparently all versions? Seems the carrier version is a gimped version of the wifi models releasing later.

Advice: Do NOT buy this unless you want another contract and data line. Cheaper and better feature options with the wifi versions. And most importantly- NO contract.

My guess is the carrier versions will either fail or displace sales from phones. Either case, minimal if any overall growth adding this device. For each month the wifi version is not released, the Tab will fail to make a dent in iPad.

ChiTown,

Of course it is more expensive due to $30 a month Android data contract for two years. That alone will make it more expensive than the iPad. Even if free, the carrier versions are FOOLS GOLD. If you can afford the extra data line- cool, but 90% of folks will have common sense and buy a 4.3" phone that covers phone and tab functions- in one device, with ONE data line and ONE contract.

8. alex182

alex182 Member

Still looking for a source on the 2GB and disabled bluetooth news. Any input guys?

9. rushmore

It is in the carrier specific pubs that were posted (Engadget?). It lists all the features and then two of the ones I looked at (VZW & Tmo) showed 2gb internal and 16gb card provided.

The wifi-only versions are supposed to be 16gb and 32gb options PLUS the microsd.

10. ChiTownJim

Only way I'd get this was a WiFi only version , a carrier specific 3g one really has no use. I can always use my phone to get any data on the run or if I need the bigger screen wifi teather

11. alex182

alex182 Member

One thing to think about also is that when it hits carriers, it'll be subsidized, meaning that you're not just paying the $30-ish for the data plan, but also payments on however much the carrier fronted for the subsidy plus their interest/profit margin. In all likelyhood, I can't see these things having less than a $60/mo contract between the service and subsidy payments.

12. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

I had access to a Tab for about 4 days. It does indeed only have 2GB. See this photo I took.

Attached Files:

13. tubemonkey

tubemonkey New Member

Crippled right out of the gate. Way to go Samsung. You really know how to kill a product line.

Carrier subsidized with mandatory monthly fees and only 2GB of storage??? How utterly insane!!!

Just mass produce these things with full specs and sell them in stores like netbooks. Data plans and contracts should be optional.

14. rushmore

Wifi versions are supposed to be sold in two flavors: 16gb and 32gb and both have microsd slots to add more, just like carrier versions gimped with 2gb.

Wait for the wifi versions. Will be same or less total price, more media space and NO contract. If a device was ever designed to fail, the carrier versions are that device.

15. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

even with it subsidized, the amount paid through length of contract just is not enticing, especially when you can only use mobile network and not wifi.

as for 2gb internal, i think that's hardware limitation (possible android 2.2, also?) i believe either the captivate or vibrant is having issues running apps with larger, slower internal storage. remember, this tab is just a phone with larger screen.

i think samsung is giving themselves too much credit. this is going to backfire, i believe.

the real android tablet will come out later with more appropriate hardware and OS. right now, these are just glorified smartphones (and ironically, no phone option and, with the tab, no wifi either).

16. rushmore

Media sites and blogs keep touting the 16gb and 32gb internal space from the original spec sheet Samsung marketing pushed. I think either they are referring to the wifi version, or only the Euro version has the extra memory?

Would not be surprised if the latter were the case.

17. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Well-Known Member

I know the Streak came with 2G too internal, but some people have swapped it out for 16G or 32G, they recommend to only go to 16G internal because the 32G versions are currently slower.
    Unless you can go without the phone plan, then it is $40/cheaper with a Data Only plan & a VOIP phone. :D Just not sure if it all works yet, but I am NOT adding cost to my plan for any device. :eek:

18. linzgeneral

linzgeneral Well-Known Member

Of course it is more expensive due to $30 a month Android data contract for two years. That alone will make it more expensive than the iPad. Even if free, the carrier versions are FOOLS GOLD. If you can afford the extra data line- cool, but 90% of folks will have common sense and buy a 4.3" phone that covers phone and tab functions- in one device, with ONE data line and ONE contract.[/QUOTE]

Well, said. My sentiments exactly. That's why I appreciate my EVO so much, it is my tablet and a lot more. The only thing I am looking forward to is an EVO 2 with perhaps a little bit bigger screen or better resolution though the current resolution is just fine. The manufacturers are getting seriously carried away with the price of these tablets. Good luck selling them....

19. ChiTownJim

So disapointing , I don't know why they jsut can't release a WiFi only with 16,32 and 64 gb storage . 2gb that's just awful

20. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

The Sprint version is even worse - no 4G. And all US Tabs will be missing the phone function, which pretty much kills ANY appeal of the carrier version.

21. Tech Addiction

Tech Addiction Well-Known Member

I am eligible for an upgrade on my Mifi with VZW. I think this would be a great opportunity to get out of the $60.00 data plan of the Mifi and use the Tab as a Wifi HotSpot. The data plan I supose would be $30.00 although I just read on Engadget that VZW will institute tierd data plan pricing in the coming months. No telling how much my Incredible will cost me for data in this case. Big read loves to stick it's hand in your wallet.

22. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

Do the iPad have phone functions?

23. jabooh1

jabooh1 Well-Known Member

I don't believe so, no.

24. trask21

trask21 New Member

I'm glad I found this forum, I can't believe it only has 2gb of memory what a joke, I just cancelled my order with Sprint.
    Who designs these things? Why not just put 2k of memory and save another $3.00.

25. Tech Addiction

Tech Addiction Well-Known Member

This thread is old. T Mobile has 2gb for OS like all Tabs but another 16gb on-board for storage and an empty microsd card slot. VZW and Sprint have only2gb on-board for OS and no on-board storage and give you a 16gb microsd card for app storage.