• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE Virgin Mobile Hot Spot Question

I just received my Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy 4G LTE phone last night. I rooted it this morning using the procedures mentioned in this forum (thank you all for the excellent documentation). When I am on LTE I am getting 15MB/s down and 9.2MB/s up, which are great speeds and I am very happy with it. The only problem I am running into is that I cannot seem to be able to turn the phone into a mobile hotspot.

I have downloaded numerous apps (Barnacle Wifi Tether, SVT-Lite, Wifi Teather and many more) yet none of them are able to activate the Wifi capability on the phone.

So my question is, is there another step that I need to take in addition to rooting the phone (apps asked for admin permission which I granted through SuperSU) or is there another app that I can download and try?

Any guidance and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: badboytoast
Thanks! This worked perfectly!

For future reference this is the process that I did to turn the phone into a Hotspot:

1) Rooted the phone using the instructions found on this forum
2) Installed the TrevE mod for Wireless Tether from xda forum
3) Change the Device profile to: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA/LTE)
4) Made sure that the Wifi Driver Reload 1 option was checked

Thank you all for your help!

Upvote 0
I'm NOT a "techie" and therefore need a bit of clarification about whether or not the Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE phone can be used as a hotspot. This *might* make the difference in whether I purchase it.

Haven't bought the phone yet (this will be my first smartphone) and VM website has the best price (on-line and retail) for brand new at $187.99

I'm also needing home internet service (currently picking up free unsecured line nearby but I'm limited to one spot in the entire house) so I've been researching my options . . .

A) I'm a very low end data user so probably would use no more than 2.0-2.5 GB data/month on BOTH my smartphone and laptop combined. Ideally, using phone as hotspot at home is best option and I'd pay either $35 (2GB) or $55/month (5GB) for VM's unlimited 4G plan ---- and I don't have to buy a separate hotspot or USB modem stick device.

B) Buy VM USB modem stick and pay for broadband data plan ($35) AND phone data plan ($35) to = 4GB data

CONS to option "B" - The VM modem stick sounds crappy, based on reviews and is nearly $50 to buy. ***T-Mobile sticks have better reviews and are cheaper to purchase (and I'm a current T-Mobile customer). I tried a CLEAR (or Clearwire, whatever their name is now) stick and the 1.5mbps download was RIDICULOUS!!!

So what's a girl to do??? Advice? Recommendations?

Upvote 0
I'm NOT a "techie" and therefore need a bit of clarification about whether or not the Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE phone can be used as a hotspot. This *might* make the difference in whether I purchase it.

Haven't bought the phone yet (this will be my first smartphone) and VM website has the best price (on-line and retail) for brand new at $187.99

I'm also needing home internet service (currently picking up free unsecured line nearby but I'm limited to one spot in the entire house) so I've been researching my options . . .

A) I'm a very low end data user so probably would use no more than 2.0-2.5 GB data/month on BOTH my smartphone and laptop combined. Ideally, using phone as hotspot at home is best option and I'd pay either $35 (2GB) or $55/month (5GB) for VM's unlimited 4G plan ---- and I don't have to buy a separate hotspot or USB modem stick device.

B) Buy VM USB modem stick and pay for broadband data plan ($35) AND phone data plan ($35) to = 4GB data

CONS to option "B" - The VM modem stick sounds crappy, based on reviews and is nearly $50 to buy. ***T-Mobile sticks have better reviews and are cheaper to purchase (and I'm a current T-Mobile customer). I tried a CLEAR (or Clearwire, whatever their name is now) stick and the 1.5mbps download was RIDICULOUS!!!

So what's a girl to do??? Advice? Recommendations?

I'd go with option A myself. I've been trying to get the CWM Tether working, but haven't been able to, with my Victory

Upvote 0
Well, option "A" is contingent upon being able to use the Victory as a hotspot.

***IDEALLY, I want to have a phone with hotspot capability so I can avoid paying for (2) data plans - one for phone and one for broadband (BB) for laptop - esp. since I'm such a low-end internet user. If I buy the Victory and find out I *can't* enable it as hotspot device, that would really suck but then I would resort to option #2 below. Too bad T-Mobile has caps on BB data usage and speeds slow once you reach limit. Virgin unlimited doesn't have this on 4G network, which I have in my area.

Option #1 - $45/mo. (Virgin unlimited data phone plan on 4G network using phone as hotspot for laptop access to internet). Avoids paying separate $35/mo. Virgin BB charge and purchasing hotspot device. AND no charge for making phone a hotspot either.

Option #2 - $75/mo. ($45/mo. Virgin unlimited data phone plan + $30-$40/mo. T-Mobile 2.5GB or 4.5GB BB rates). $20 or $25 for laptop stick. Would likely only need 2GB for BB service.

Option #3 - $80/mo. ($45 Virgin phone plan + $35 Virgin BB). Phone not hotspot device. $50 for laptop stick (not reliable stick)

So option #2 seems like the next best IF I can't use phone as hotspot but am hoping I can!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones