• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung getting ready to release a Galaxy Nexus+ ?

I strongly (but respectfully) disagree. I've not had any issues with my GSM G-Nex, and I think it's an amazing phone. :)

+1. I went from a Galaxy Prevail (nice for beginner, but limited) to a ZTE Warp (loved it, until it started freezing and rebooting all the time) to an LG Marquee (way too laggy) to the EVO V 4g (don't get me started on that POS) to the GNex. It destroys all of those, as well as my wife's iPhone 4s. I've had zero issues, I love the screen, and it gets fantastic signal here on T-Mobile. Couldn't be happier with it.

Upvote 0
I'm going to disagree with you. The Google Galaxy Nexus is quite good; while it has some issues they tend to be relatively minor. The problem with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus is that it isn't actually the Galaxy Nexus, but rather a kludge of a device that has the basic GSM Nexus hardware retrofitted with the CDMA/LTE radio, larger battery, etc. Just they called the device, despite the fact that it has a different battery and is slightly larger, by the same Nexus name.

I think the real answer is to make sure there is an actual Nexus version that is designed as a CDMA device. Not to mention a CDMA Nexus that is updated directly by Google.

The GSM galaxy nexus is quite good, the verizon galaxy nexus is not quite good, granted it isnt samsungs fault for the updates... although on some parts it is, but the way the hardware works, that would be samsungs fault.
you even said that the galaxy nexus isnt that, but a device with the gsm hardware but retrofitted the cdma/lte radios. wouldnt that still be samsungs fault for not creating an entirely new phone based on those radios when they would sell more in verizon than they would through GSM?

I have my opinion as do others here, and i respect those opinions, i just feel samsung is slipping from its basic element of making a good phone for everyone. I just hope that google does release mulitple nexi from different manufacturers and then i will not have to worry about the samsung nexus, i just hope motorola is in that mix somewhere.

I strongly (but respectfully) disagree. I've not had any issues with my GSM G-Nex, and I think it's an amazing phone. :)

im glad you do not have an issue with your device, you quite possibly got one of the only good ones... i know from personal experience through real life that a few of my friends are on their 3rd nexus, and still have the same issues with the microphone cutting out, and one has bluetooth and wifi issues which are horrid!
but each phone is different. and the only device that i have never had too many issues with was my Droid X, i just feel that the phone i bought, isnt the phone i bought...

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
The GSM galaxy nexus is quite good, the verizon galaxy nexus is not quite good, granted it isnt samsungs fault for the updates... although on some parts it is, but the way the hardware works, that would be samsungs fault.
you even said that the galaxy nexus isnt that, but a device with the gsm hardware but retrofitted the cdma/lte radios. wouldnt that still be samsungs fault for not creating an entirely new phone based on those radios when they would sell more in verizon than they would through GSM?

It would be interesting to know whose fault it is. I've seen some claim it is Verizon's fault. The reasoning that Verizon didn't want to be "left behind" and demanded Samsung make a version of the phone to Verizon's specifications. I suspect we will never actually know if it is Samsung's fault, for not doing the engineering to make the phone well, or Verizon for placing demands where engineering it properly became impossible (both in terms of amount of time to develop the Verizon version as well as making demands of specifications that would not work within the Nexus phone). And Verizon, as the largest of the US mobile providers, does have a lot of influence to make these types of demands.

I have my opinion as do others here, and i respect those opinions, i just feel samsung is slipping from its basic element of making a good phone for everyone. I just hope that google does release mulitple nexi from different manufacturers and then i will not have to worry about the samsung nexus, i just hope motorola is in that mix somewhere.

And I have no issue with more Nexus phones, a selection seems like it would be good. My only worry is that Google maintain a Nexus standard, that doesn't become compromised by trying to manage too many devices. Having different choices, as well as healthy competition between the manufacturers, would seem to be a good thing for consumers.

im glad you do not have an issue with your device, you quite possibly got one of the only good ones... i know from personal experience through real life that a few of my friends are on their 3rd nexus, and still have the same issues with the microphone cutting out, and one has bluetooth and wifi issues which are horrid!
but each phone is different. and the only device that i have never had too many issues with was my Droid X, i just feel that the phone i bought, isnt the phone i bought...

As for Petrah, she has the GSM Nexus, so it stands to reason she doesn't have an issue. ;)

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
I agree that they initially planned only GSM Galaxy nexus and CDMA version was kind of rushed since Verizon came on board later. We don't know whose fault is greater for CDMA version's issues. My guess is that Samsung had to fit the CDMA radio configuration of Charge into GSM Nexus hardware to meet release timeline for ICS instead of developing new dedicated radio for Verizon version.

Anyway Nexus phone and CDMA carrier don't seem to get along well so far. It's always the GSM phone first since that's global standard. If Google indeed goes multiple Nexus phones, maybe they better use Motorola for verizon one and Samsung, LG for GSM ones instead of having each maker do both GSM, CDMA. But I'm not holding breadth on that.

Upvote 0
I agree that they initially planned only GSM Galaxy nexus and CDMA version was kind of rushed since Verizon came on board later. We don't know whose fault is greater for CDMA version's issues. My guess is that Samsung had to fit the CDMA radio configuration of Charge into GSM Nexus hardware to meet release timeline for ICS instead of developing new dedicated radio for Verizon version.

Anyway Nexus phone and CDMA carrier don't seem to get along well so far. It's always the GSM phone first since that's global standard. If Google indeed goes multiple Nexus phones, maybe they better use Motorola for verizon one and Samsung, LG for GSM ones instead of having each maker do both GSM, CDMA. But I'm not holding breadth on that.

Here is (IMO) an interesting discussion about the CDMA/LTE issues that the gnex seems to have, discussing choice of radio chipsets, cdma, and vzw.

http://androidforums.com/verizon/591727-connecting-dots-samsung-verizon-radios.html

Reactions: VoidedSaint
Upvote 0
Here is (IMO) an interesting discussion about the CDMA/LTE issues that the gnex seems to have, discussing choice of radio chipsets, cdma, and vzw.

http://androidforums.com/verizon/591727-connecting-dots-samsung-verizon-radios.html

that was a good read, and kinda lets you see both are really at fault... verizon for joining the game late then demanding their stuff be there on time... though it also makes you wonder could sammy have added better radios in it to begin with?

so naturally fringe area (as i am on occasion) my signal is going to suck and therefore my opinion on the nexus will be dim, however still does not address the silent mic issue nearly all of my nexi have been plagued with...

Upvote 0
that was a good read, and kinda lets you see both are really at fault... verizon for joining the game late then demanding their stuff be there on time... though it also makes you wonder could sammy have added better radios in it to begin with?

so naturally fringe area (as i am on occasion) my signal is going to suck and therefore my opinion on the nexus will be dim, however still does not address the silent mic issue nearly all of my nexi have been plagued with...

My guess is that my experience has been very similar to yours. I'm on verizon gnex #3 and I don't have the reboot issues with this one but I still have signal issues and the silent mic (more and more often). When my gnex works properly it is almost perfect, but that is pretty infrequent. As a phone it is almost unusable at times. Funny thing is that I haven't been able to decide for sure whether I go with my flawless razr maxx or seriously flawed gnex.

I blame mostly Samsung for my problems. This phone had so much potential (for me) but I'm at the point where I doubt I'll ever consider another Samsung phone again.

Reactions: VoidedSaint
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
My guess is that my experience has been very similar to yours. I'm on verizon gnex #3 and I don't have the reboot issues with this one but I still have signal issues and the silent mic (more and more often). When my gnex works properly it is almost perfect, but that is pretty infrequent. As a phone it is almost unusable at times. Funny thing is that I haven't been able to decide for sure whether I go with my flawless razr maxx or seriously flawed gnex.

I blame mostly Samsung for my problems. This phone had so much potential (for me) but I'm at the point where I doubt I'll ever consider another Samsung phone again.

believe me when i tell you this, you are not alone on those issues, i havent had the data drops yet, or the silent mic bug on this phone yet, but it may be a matter of time.

I dont use the phone much, but when i do it seems to happen, so only time will tell now.

Reactions: ALurker
Upvote 0
considering apple just won a major victory against samsung for it's GN phone, among many other patent infringements, it might be a while before we see a new GN, if ever.

Maybe not a GNex, Xperia Nexus lol

Edit: additionally this will get held up in appeals forever, and Samsung will still release its next line of phones. Whether or not a Nexus device is going to be sold by Samsung, that's another story

Upvote 0
Maybe not a GNex, Xperia Nexus lol

Edit: additionally this will get held up in appeals forever, and Samsung will still release its next line of phones. Whether or not a Nexus device is going to be sold by Samsung, that's another story

LG is one of my other favorite companies (we have tons of LG appliances in the house, including my flat-panel gaming monitor). I wouldn't mind seeing Google and LG come up with a badass unlocked GSM phone.

Upvote 0
I personally never liked Motorola for their design and build quality. But i think this is going to change since Motorola Mobility now owned By Google.

Google itself said that Motorola should focus on quality rather then quantity because as far as i know Motorola went with a completely unusual market strategy by feeling the market with tons of not so good phones

The Motorala Photon is an awesome phone; spec and build-wise and had nothing to do with a Google/Moto marriage.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that I need a great phone anymore. The GN might be the last one for me. I'm using my Nexus 7 so much more frequently these days that the GN is just for making phone calls and tethering to the N7. I know I will ditch Verizon no matter what because they are just awful in so many ways especially their treatment of a nexus device. But I will also save a lot more money by going to a cheaper carrier like virgin mobile with unlimited data. My next phone should probably be half way great. A nice strong battery, 4G, no hassle tethering and I'm set. Don't care about the camera, storage, hdmi, screen resolution etc.

Upvote 0
considering apple just won a major victory against samsung for it's GN phone, among many other patent infringements, it might be a while before we see a new GN, if ever.

The Nexus wasn't part of this recent case. You may be confusing this case with the earlier ban of the Galaxy Nexus for the universal search feature. Apple wants the Galaxy S 4G, Galaxy S2 AT&T, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S2 T-Mobile, Galaxy S2 Epic 4G, Galaxy S Showcase, Droid Charge and Galaxy Prevail banned right now.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that I need a great phone anymore. The GN might be the last one for me. I'm using my Nexus 7 so much more frequently these days that the GN is just for making phone calls and tethering to the N7. I know I will ditch Verizon no matter what because they are just awful in so many ways especially their treatment of a nexus device. But I will also save a lot more money by going to a cheaper carrier like virgin mobile with unlimited data. My next phone should probably be half way great. A nice strong battery, 4G, no hassle tethering and I'm set. Don't care about the camera, storage, hdmi, screen resolution etc.

Depending on your location, I would recommend going to a GSM prepaid (T-Mobile or Straight Talk) over Virgin Mobile. The problem with VM is that their network is overused leading to extremely slow download times. For example, for me in Houston, my experience was maybe a tad worse than PC Mag describes, where they talk about 3G download speeds being lower than 144 kbps over half of the time (basically, dial up speed).

Now, having said that, there are cities where Sprint's network is good, and it should improve as they get LTE rolled out -- though Virgin will not see LTE for at least another year, they will remain on WiMax. OTOH, the advantage of a GSM carrier for prepaid is that you can always switch carriers, if you feel the need to switch, and keep the same phone.

Upvote 0
LG is one of my other favorite companies (we have tons of LG appliances in the house, including my flat-panel gaming monitor). I wouldn't mind seeing Google and LG come up with a badass unlocked GSM phone.

Agreed. The new Optimus G just announced seems to have killer spec that's even better than GS3. I hope LG gets shot at Nexus with phone like this.

Also I think Google needs to switch to Qualcomm chip for next Nexus. Their new S4 line of chips support GSM, LTE, CDMA in the same chip, which will make update process easier for any version.

LG Optimus G Officially Announced: 4.7-Inch Screen, S4 Processor, 2GB RAM, Brings The Sexy Back

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones