Samsung i9000 Galaxy S ~ 2GB ROM (1.8GB mentioned for storage)?General

Last Updated:

1. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here's a question which we should be looking at ~ the said 2GB ROM and how 1.8GB is mentioned to be left over for users to store Applications.

The thing is, ROM is Read Only Memory!
    ROM is used to store the initial program and instructions that run when the phone is powered or otherwise begins execution (a process known as bootstrapping or booting-up).
    All computer related hardware requires some form of initial accessible memory to record changes in its state as it executes. However, it can not be modified easily and once the Operating System files and other stored data which is shipped on the ROM is accessed it's only other use is for distributing firmware changes/updates to the systems operational use.

Therefore, how is it people are talking of being able to access the 1.8GB of ROM on the Galaxy S i9000 and use it to store applications?
    ROM and writing applications to it just don't go together hand in hand.

Advertisement
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I think its means its not write accessible to the user, whereas its the system installing applications to the internal memory.

3. Beards

If that is the case it would make it a first in how the system allows ROM to be handled.
    ROM is not shared memory, nor controlled by the user or the system OS.
    ROM is solely dependant on resident instructions which bypass normal writing instructions such as firmware updates.

No installed Application should be allowed to survive a hard reset.

4. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

Its probably an EEP-ROM ? or they just used the wrong term ?

5. Beards

As we know eeprom is often used to store calibration information or other data that needs to be available in the event of a power loss.
    We know it more commonly as Flash Memory but it seems such a large area (1.8GB) to be allocated as an eeprom chip.

You are probably right in that the term Samsung are using is most probably what is wrong here... that I would buy into.

Samsung themselves design their own chips so it would be nice to know exactly what this 1.8GB of data area is called.

EDITED:
    I came across a site here where it mentions the phone only having 6GB of memory.
    Now if you think about it, the phone comes with 8GB in total so if you say 2GB of that being allocated for system ROM (which we know is correct), that would leave 6GB for the internal extra storage which tallies with what is being reported in the article.

In other words it's not the 1.8GB left for the user but the remaining 6GB out of a total 8GB chip.

6. NZtechfreak

Maybe its a terminology thing, but where phones are concerned when people talk about ROM its usually a space where applications can be installed. If you look at the HD2 at GSMarena its listed as having a 512MB ROM (and 1GB for the T-Mo version), on my HD2 that space was available to install apps, I presume its the same here and they're just not using the correct term.

7. Beards

Fair point... I can see exactly where you are coming from.
    It would be nice though (and less confusing) if the industry could stick with the correct terminology for what is deemed ROM or at the very least explain the principle we have here.

... but then again, we're still waiting for so many details, anything could pop up. :)

8. galaxyS

galaxyS Well-Known Member

16 gb internal memory for multimedia, (music,pitures,vids, etc..)
    1.8 gb rom for apps/save the data
    512 mb ram to run the apps

9. NZtechfreak

Yep, we'll see soon (hoping to get my hands on my i9000 ~end of next week).

10. Beards

Yes, I know the facts for memory allocation..no problems with that.
    The query (which has part been answered) relates to the 1.8GB ROM.

NZtechfreak.
    Whilst I'm here ~ I had a look at my HD2.

This is my breakdown:-
    Total Storage: 181.47
    Used Storage: 172.18
    Free Storage: 9.29
    Total Program: 336.97
    Used Program: 201.55
    Free Program: 135.42

If you add together the Total Storage and Total Program this gives you 518.44MB