• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung is no longer exchanging for new Note 7's

D

Deleted User

I bought my (Verizon) Note directly from Samsung online. When I called their 800 # this evening to set up the exchange of my phone, I was told that now that the government is involved, they are no longer able to exchange for new models. My only option was to exchange for an S7 or Edge, or return my Note for a refund. I really don't want the smaller phone, so they are sending me a shipping label to return my phone. Kind of sucks, but I guess now I'll just wait for the next big thing.

There are no new Note 7's to exchange for. The process will take longer than we all want. Unless they force a person to return the phone (and I do not have a Verizon store closer than at least an hour away, I got my phone via fedex delivery), there will be a lot of people keeping their N7's until the new/fixed stock of N7's are available. So no, you can't swap for a new N7 right now - there are none to swap for.

Upvote 0
Until today, all recent reports have stated that Samsung would provide customers with loaner phones until the new models become available. Now it seems as though they have no intention of continuing to make new models. Or they just figure they'll take their chances that we'll wait and not go buy another brand. Their loss, I guess.

Upvote 0
I agree this process is one big clustered mess. If there aren't some class action lawsuits I will be surprised and disappointed. I think the percentage of phones that might have a problem is extremely, extremely small - but that isn't the point at this stage. The point is, since there IS a recall, Samsung NEEDS to have a uniform recall process that gets new and remedied Note 7's into current Note 7 owners hands as quickly as possible. Samsung should fulfill the recall for the current owners FIRST before starting to sell any new Note 7's once they have been built and approved for sale by whatever agencies are now involved. What we have now is a process so disjointed that not a single company that sold us the phones (be it Verizon or whoever) seems to have any actual answers on what to do. Sorry, bringing your phone in for an S7 is NOT a good enough option. Because you know they will try to find a way to make you stuck with the already 6 month old S7. We bought a NOTE 7 for a reason. If I wanted to buy a 6 month old phone I would have done that when it first came out.

Upvote 0
I went into my Verizon store today, again (3rd trip), to get my me exchanged n7 per conversations I had with Samsung and Verizon.

Last week I called Samsung, the woman stated that new replacements were shipping this week and that the site should have them on Sunday. So, on Sunday I headed to Verizon to get this over with. Turns out she was misinformed. The Verizon employee informed me that they hadn't received any new n7s and that they should have them on Monday. Well, today is Monday and I went in to get this taken care of.

The Verizon employee I had today kind of laughed when I mentioned that one of his counterparts told me to come in today. He mentioned that there is no official word from Samsung about any date to expect new phones. He did explicitly day that Verizon will allow a double exchange to take of their customers, and that they are invoicing everything directly to Samsung. I had him double check, then I spoke with a manager and yes, Verizon is allowing the double exchange.

So, here I am with an s7 "loaner". I've been a Samsung loyalist since the first note and waited to upgrade from my note 4 for this n7. If I don't get what I purchased Samsung will forever lose a loyal customer.

Upvote 0
I went into my Verizon store today, again (3rd trip), to get my me exchanged n7 per conversations I had with Samsung and Verizon.

Last week I called Samsung, the woman stated that new replacements were shipping this week and that the site should have them on Sunday. So, on Sunday I headed to Verizon to get this over with. Turns out she was misinformed. The Verizon employee informed me that they hadn't received any new n7s and that they should have them on Monday. Well, today is Monday and I went in to get this taken care of.

The Verizon employee I had today kind of laughed when I mentioned that one of his counterparts told me to come in today. He mentioned that there is no official word from Samsung about any date to expect new phones. He did explicitly day that Verizon will allow a double exchange to take of their customers, and that they are invoicing everything directly to Samsung. I had him double check, then I spoke with a manager and yes, Verizon is allowing the double exchange.

So, here I am with an s7 "loaner". I've been a Samsung loyalist since the first note and waited to upgrade from my note 4 for this n7. If I don't get what I purchased Samsung will forever lose a loyal customer.
I did the same as you, updated from the Note 4 to the Note7. I've since returned my Note7 and await my replacement. If they won't give me a Note7 I don't know I'll do.

In the meantime I've rooted my Note 4 and installed a full Note7 rom. It's almost flawless.

Reactions: J_Hansen
Upvote 0
I've now read that there will be no replacements, that they're going to just abandon the Note 7 and wait until the Note 8 next year. It is difficult for me to believe that Samsung is just going to crush and destroy 3 million Note 7s that will be perfectly good phones once the battery is replaced. The conspiracy theorists are drinking a little too much caffeine today, I think :p

Upvote 0
I've now read that there will be no replacements, that they're going to just abandon the Note 7 and wait until the Note 8 next year. It is difficult for me to believe that Samsung is just going to crush and destroy 3 million Note 7s that will be perfectly good phones once the battery is replaced. The conspiracy theorists are drinking a little too much caffeine today, I think :p
If this is the case they wont be getting my N7 till the N8 comes out then.even tho mine says made in Korea (which is supposed to be the bad ones) it works fine so far and does not get extremely hot even when playing games when it is plugged to the charger. The hottest its been was 106°

Upvote 0
After a useless visit to US Cellular, where I had to bring them up to date on the Note 7 recall, it really struck home how completely disjointed, disorganized and opaque the process has become, notably since the CPSC intervened. I completely agree with their intervention, however, as they are serving as our advocates to ensure the replacement products we receive have been carefully vetted out and safe. The problem is that this means a significant delay in our receiving replacements, which sucks. The USC saleswoman yried to convince me that they could give me an S7 as a loaner, but not really… it would be an exchange (the swap out advertised with $ reimbursed) but she swore that I could then "exchange" it for thr new Note when it came available. Right.

I then went to one of the salespeople at a local Samsung dept in Best Buy and got one of the first honest responses I've received so far: There has not been a deadline designated for returning phones via the Exchange Pgm. He had heard that Verizon didn't expect to announce any plans or time frames until after end Sept. He is not returning his Note 7 until new replacements are in hand, and said that the vast majority of customers have the same plan in mind. He said that Samsung has not indicated any target date for new Note availability.
He also said that they are advising owners to NOT use the micro/USB C convertors, and instead use the OEM or another cable which meets allo specs and standards. I found a great article on AA explaining why this is critical.
I've decided to hold onto the N7 until they are replaced; having this Samsung rep tell me that he plans to do the same kind of sealed my decision.

I love this phone, dammit!! ;-)

Upvote 0
Please share the link.
If this is the case they wont be getting my N7 till the N8 comes out then.even tho mine says made in Korea (which is supposed to be the bad ones) it works fine so far and does not get extremely hot even when playing games when it is plugged to the charger. The hottest its been was 106°

Upvote 0
After a useless visit to US Cellular, where I had to bring them up to date on the Note 7 recall, it really struck home how completely disjointed, disorganized and opaque the process has become, notably since the CPSC intervened. I completely agree with their intervention, however, as they are serving as our advocates to ensure the replacement products we receive have been carefully vetted out and safe. The problem is that this means a significant delay in our receiving replacements, which sucks. The USC saleswoman yried to convince me that they could give me an S7 as a loaner, but not really… it would be an exchange (the swap out advertised with $ reimbursed) but she swore that I could then "exchange" it for thr new Note when it came available. Right.

I then went to one of the salespeople at a local Samsung dept in Best Buy and got one of the first honest responses I've received so far: There has not been a deadline designated for returning phones via the Exchange Pgm. He had heard that Verizon didn't expect to announce any plans or time frames until after end Sept. He is not returning his Note 7 until new replacements are in hand, and said that the vast majority of customers have the same plan in mind. He said that Samsung has not indicated any target date for new Note availability.
He also said that they are advising owners to NOT use the micro/USB C convertors, and instead use the OEM or another cable which meets allo specs and standards. I found a great article on AA explaining why this is critical.
I've decided to hold onto the N7 until they are replaced; having this Samsung rep tell me that he plans to do the same kind of sealed my decision.

I love this phone, dammit!! ;-)
Sammy told me last night that once the government inspects the new ones that they have which should be this week then they can start shipping them out which they said would be Monday or Tuesday next week and i should be able to get one by the end of next week,but the one i have isnt going anywhere till i have a new one in my hand

Upvote 0
Based on some of the things I'm reading, it sounds like Samsung is just about ready to start shipping replacement Note 7s!

Of course, things will be a little slower in the US, simply because the government is involved. But I just called Samsung and was told that they expect the Consumer Product Safety Commission to sign off on the replacements next week... and the phones to be distributed by the end of the month.

We'll see!

Upvote 0
Yep just got it as well... here is a copy of it:

Your safety remains our top priority

As part of our voluntary recall, Samsung is announcing that new Galaxy Note7 replacement devices will be available in the United States at most retail locations no later than September 21, 2016.

The company received approval for its exchange program from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and has announced an official U.S. voluntary recall of the Galaxy Note7. We strongly advise all customers who have Galaxy Note7 devices to replace their current device with a new device under the terms of the U.S. Note7 Exchange Program.

Through the U.S. Note7 Exchange Program, you can:

1. Exchange your current Galaxy Note7 device with a new Galaxy Note7 as approved by the CPSC; or
2. Exchange your current Galaxy Note7 for a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge and replacement of any Note7 specific accessories with a refund of the price difference between devices; or
3. Contact your point of purchase to obtain a refund.

Details can be found at www.samsung.com/us/note7recall or contact us toll-free at 1-844-365-6197, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We regret any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your cooperation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones