Samsung Mesmerize First Impression / Advice RequestedGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jamoosh

jamoosh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings,

I have had my USCC Samsung Mesmerize I500 for a little over a week now and can't say that I am totally impressed with it. Firstly, I should say that this is not only my first android device but my first smart phone, so my expectations may be a little unrealistic. Please feel free to correct me at any time if this is the case.

I have to say that this is an amazing device with an enormous potential to be a hugely useful tool, however there are a few things that are inhibiting my ability to fully realize that potential. Input from anybody on this forum would be greatly appreciated.

a.) The first issue I came across is that the battery life seems to be much more limited than I had expected. I actually chose this phone over the HTC Desire (which I had been debating on getting) primarily because of the allegedly superior battery life. So far I have only been able to get a maximum of about 4 hours of use from the battery on a full charge (out of the box, though, I have been able to increase this slightly). By use, I mean a few phone calls and text messages, possibly browsing a few web pages, but the majority of the time, the phone has spent idle in my pocket.
    I have conditioned the battery--doing a full power cycle of the battery--and this may have helped some, but not as much as I had hoped.
    I took some other steps as well, possibly at the cost of the stability of my phone, to try to improve battery life, with mixed results.
    1.) Disabled "Live Wallpaper". I read that this can be helpful in improving battery life and freeing up system resources.
    2.) Removed the live widgets from the TouchWizard screens and installed a separate launcher application. I tried LauncherPro, Go-Launcher and Zeam, and of those, I found that Zeam runs the most fluidly on this phone.
    3.) I installed a Task Manager application (I know this is a topic of much debate and conjecture, but I have found that this alone had nearly doubled the effective battery life to about 8 hours or more, so it's a trade-off I am willing to make)

b.) The second issue I will bring up is the degree of "lag" or general slowness I have found in the user interface--when switching between screens, bringing up menus and prompts, etc--has gone from fairly annoying when I first purchased the phone, to abysmal at this time. Some of the steps mentioned above have helped the phone to run more smoothly, but not as much as I had hoped.
    The issue seems to be most specifically associated with the dialer application and the messaging application, which is fairly frustrating. I have the impression that these applications are tied in with the TWLauncher, Samsung's Touch Wizard, so I don't know if there is any alternative.

c.) Lastly, and possibly most importantly, is that the phone application tends to crash randomly and unexpectedly, for no apparent reason when in a phone call or when I'm done with a phone call. I receive the error message ""Sorry! Activity Phone (in process com.android.phone is not responding)"" and ultimately have to do a Force Close of this application. This is not good.

Finally, I would like the suggestion of the Samsung Mesmerize and Android userbase as to how I should proceed.
    My options would be to
    A.) Do a factory reset and hold out for the next firmware updates in hopes that they may be able to resolve the majority of the problems that I have experienced thus far with this phone.
    B.) "Root" the phone as outlined in various place and run a custom rom in order to hopefully eliminate some of the issues I have been plagued with.
    C.) Take the phone back and get a HTC Desire instead, as it is still under the 30 day guarantee period offered by the carrier.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

Advertisement
  2. USCellularAndroid

USCellularAndroid Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Mesmerize! I'll try my best to keep it short. ha

1) get rid of the task killer. The mesmerize has a pre-loaded management widget and task killer of its own. its called "Program Manager". It has great features to figure out the battery life issues. You can add it to your home screen by long-pressing on an empty space, select samsung widgets, then scroll to the bottom and click program monitor.

2) Check to see how often your apps are refreshing. Everything from your email accounts, weather, facebook, twitter, or what ever the devil kids are calling it these days (Family Guy joke), updates by itself in the background unless you tell it not to. You can change these by hitting "menu - settings" in most applications.

3) Make sure your bluetooth, wifi, and GPS are DISABLED unless you are using it. Only turn on these features when you want to use them!

4) something could "straight up" be wrong with your certain device. 4 hours is really low. I use mine all day, using the wireless modem feature, emails, text, etc, and I get a full days charge.

As for the apps crashing, that sounds like a factory reset should happen. I don't know if the person who set up your phone knew what they were doing (some uscc reps don't know jack about Androids). The initial setup process is key, in my opinion, to a good working phone.

I would also advice against rooting the Mesmerize. I know some have done it, but it seems like your treading water since not many people have experience with this phone... yet. It also voids your warranty with uscc. I'm waiting till someone ACTUALLY figures out how to root and get Android 2.3. Then I'll try haha.

From personal experience, I sold the Desire and bought the Mesmerize. I switched for the screen size, type of screen, wireless modem feature, swype keyboard, and samsungs media hub.

I hope that helps! Keep posting as I check this every day!

jamoosh and wooderd like this.
  3. dukeofbluz

dukeofbluz Well-Known Member

i had a desire for 29 days and traded for the Mesmerize and im very glad I did, the battery last a lot longer then the desires did. The post above says it all.
    Im at over 1/2 battery with 16 hours and use, including a lot of text, emails, some surfing and calls.

Good luck!

Duke

jamoosh likes this.
  4. salzybaby

salzybaby New Member

Okay, so I'm new to the forum but have been looking for mesmerize forums... This one seems to be the place to be. I picked up the mesmerize almost 3 weeks ago. I went to the store with my wife. We played with the mesmerize and desire for about 30 minutes and both chose the mesmerize even with the sales guy pushing the desire. It was his personal phone and his phone of choice. That being said we got two mesmerizes.

One battery issue. My wife is an xray tech. All of the walls are lead lined. To get and keep service in the break room area, it zaps battery. Mine, I have no issues. If the battery issue persists, uscc has the battery swap option. try a new battery. The task manager is very useful. Just hold down the home button and it will pop up. One of my coworkers has a mes and was having battery issues. When I opened the Task manager on her phone, there were about 10 apps running. closed them all and response immediately improved.

Managing Apps is important too. My Yahoo Mail was driving me crazy with updates every time I got spam e-mails... I went into the settings in the actual app and shut off the notifications.

Good luck, I hope it helps. I love the mes. It is the best phone I've owned. I haven't figured out the tethering thing yet but haven't needed to either.

jamoosh likes this.
  5. Aphiemi

Aphiemi New Member

What was said above about background applications is correct. I was having to charge my phone about every 12 hours (it would be down to about 25%), until I made a few application changes.

I was using Yahoo's mail app to check both of my Yahoo accounts (it does push, unlike the stock app) and the stock Email app to check my Hotmail account (it does do push for Hotmail if set up correctly). I dumped both of those and moved everything to K9 Mail (it doesn't do push for Yahoo correctly, but it's better than the stock app), and I just check my mail manually when I want to know.

That one change improved my battery life to around 30 hours of regular use (just occasional checking of e-mail, web, a short game or two, a few phone calls, etc) or over 40 if it's idle most of the time. :)

Check the task manager if you've been using the phone for a while. Some apps will stay in the background so they can launch quickly if they're needed, but if you're only using something once and don't plan on needing it soon, you can kill it afterward. The stock web browser does this.

jamoosh likes this.
  6. arsonone

arsonone New Member

I have had my Mesmerize for about two weeks now and I haven't had any serious issues with the phone. maybe once or twice it has lagged but not too bad. The battery life is outstanding, I only have to charge it every other day most of the time. However if I am playing games or heavy net usage it does tend to drain fairly quick. Some power saving options you may want to consider would be adjusting the screen back light settings (how long it stays lit) also a task manager would be helpful, I know the phone has one built in but it is somewhat limited as to what you can do with it. Try a task killing program that kills all apps you don't want running when your screen turns off (advanced task killer). As mentioned earlier the Wifi and GPS options tend to drain the battery fairly fast as well. Overall I would have to say this is probably the best phone I have ever had from USCC...although I still miss my BBM.

jamoosh likes this.
  7. dukeofbluz

dukeofbluz Well-Known Member

oh and i read on here also,,, if you go into a program,,, use the back button to get back to the home screen, if you just hit the home button the app stays running

jamoosh likes this.
  8. USCellularAndroid

USCellularAndroid Well-Known Member

like I said before, DON'T USE A TASK KILLER PROGRAM.

You can Google all day about how the Android system works, and how the ATK app is not needed anymore. Hence why there is one built into the phone.

Everyone remove the Advance Task Killer app you downloaded from the Market and watch your battery life increase!

jamoosh likes this.
  9. invest33

invest33 New Member

Amost every time I hit the power buton to turn my screen on, it asks for a password instead of me just swiping the screen. When our IT people setup my work e-mail thru our Exchange server using Outlook he said i had to enter a password so I did. But now every time I turn the phone on I have to enter the password. I cannot figure out how to turn this off. Any suggestions? We have other people at work using their outlook e-mail thru the exchange server and they do not have to enter a password.