Samsung Moment/AcclaimSupport

1. dogkat1

dogkat1 New Member

I am considering both Sprint and US Cellular, though leaning towards US Cellular because they have better voice and data coverage in the rural area I live in.

Supposedly, US Cellular will release the Samsung Acclaim next month and from the limited information I have seen it seems like a rebranded Moment.

As I understand it, the Moment initially had battery life issues and the wait for 2.1 was long. In the Moments current state, even though it is not a top of the line android, are owners satisfied with its performance?

Is the screen size and resolution adequate for web browsing? Is the 800MHz processor sufficient for most apps?

I would like to be able to easily browse the web (including videos), play music, have decent call performance, and use interesting apps like the Sky Map.

For reference I have the Palm Centro (screen is too small, battery life is poor, and it locks up fairly often) and my wife has the Samsung Rogue (similar size to the Moment, but higher resolution AMOLED).

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

You will be happy. I am and if it is a rebranded moment there is a lot of custom stuff you should be able to take over. Cricket users have been ok so far.
  3. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 Well-Known Member

The Acclaim is different, at least physically, from the Moment. It has a trackpad (like BlackBerry's Curve 2), there are no call send/end buttons, and where the Moment's 2 soft buttons sit, the Acclaim has a menu button (left) and back button (right). Below these (where the send/end buttons reside) are two other soft buttons, home (left) and search (right).
  4. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

There are slight differences, but it appears that Samusung is using the basic internal hardware of the Moment on a number of phones. The only things that would concern me about the phone are the gps and the radio. The Moment generally suffers from a relatively weak gps receiver which makes it far less useful as a navigation device than its competitors. Some say theirs works great but I've played with about 10 units myself and they all had identical gps performance, which is to say poor. The biggest problem with this phone by far is what is referred to as cdma lockup. This is not as universal as the gps issue, but far too many devices suffer from some form of the problem to call it slight. The phone will sometimes completely disconnect from all data streams and nothing short of a reboot will bring it back. For myself, the problem happens only after turning of wifi. At some point the phone will go int a faux airplane mode. Many complain about lockup occurring randomly at any time. My work around is to reboot whenever I quit a wifi session. Unless you need the phone right this minute, I would suggest waiting a few weeks and watching the forums to see if the lockup problem is resolved in the new models. Every device out has issues. But with a more sensitive gps and no lockup, this isn't a bad phone.