• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Moment - Android 2.0 Availability?

I talked with a Samsung technical support person on the phone today, and he said they are planning to consistently upgrade the Android OS, to the newest available, on the Moment with OTA updates. He did/would not give me any time frame.

Of course this is not in writing, but I suspect Samsung will do the updates, it will just take (what seems like) forever.

Upvote 0
I talked with a Samsung technical support person on the phone today, and he said they are planning to consistently upgrade the Android OS, to the newest available, on the Moment with OTA updates. He did/would not give me any time frame.

Of course this is not in writing, but I suspect Samsung will do the updates, it will just take (what seems like) forever.
An OTA Update contradicts everything that has been said up to this point. Sammy, Sprint and HTC have all frowned upon doing OTA updates. So you might not want to put too much faith in that info.

Upvote 0
Oh, THOSE updates.. gotcha. In that case, forget what I said. Im still thinking about OS updates.

I specifically asked about updates to the OS and the tech support guy was very clear in saying they would be updating the OS from the current 1.5.

So, decide if you can trust the tech support guys (I've talked to my share of ones who will say anything), then decide if you are willing to wait an indeterminate amount of time.

My contract on Verizon is not up for another month, so I am being forced to wait and see.

Feel free to give them a call and see if you can get better specifics.
Mobile phones
1-888-987-HELP(4357)
Mon - Fri : 7am - 9pm (CST)
Sat : 9am - 6pm (CST)

Upvote 0
I'm a big dummie, what does 2.0 do that 1.5 doesn't? I think this phone is great. I had an Instinct and there were lots of updates to it that really improved it over the time I had it. From everything I've read 2.0 will be available on line sometime early in 2010. I guess ignorance is bliss because I'm having a blast with all the apps available.

Upvote 0
I'm a big dummie, what does 2.0 do that 1.5 doesn't? I think this phone is great. I liked my Instinct and there were lots of updates to it that really improved it over the time I had it. From everything I've read 2.0 will be available on line sometime early in 2010. I guess ignorance is bliss because I'm having a blast with all the apps available.

Besides some UI enhancements, screenshots in the market, and other minor tweaks, there's this:

YouTube - Google Maps Navigation (Beta)

Upvote 0
I don't trust Samsung, bought the first 46" 1080P LCD they made and found out after it was too late to return that "Samsung has chosen to not offer firmware updates for this product. If I want HDMI 1.3 support I need to purchase a different model"! No explanation, just left out in the cold! Oh, and my TV was a current model number when they released the 1.3 compatible units.

So this is weighing heavily on my decision between the Hero and Moment. If Samsung will take that attitude with one product, whats to stop them from doing it again.

Upvote 0
I don't trust Samsung, bought the first 46" 1080P LCD they made and found out after it was too late to return that "Samsung has chosen to not offer firmware updates for this product. If I want HDMI 1.3 support I need to purchase a different model"! No explanation, just left out in the cold! Oh, and my TV was a current model number when they released the 1.3 compatible units.

So this is weighing heavily on my decision between the Hero and Moment. If Samsung will take that attitude with one product, whats to stop them from doing it again.

Those are two different divisions of Samsung. Though I can see how it would be alarming. I doubt they would do that to us. Look at the Samsung Instinct, it's been out-dated for over year now but still gets firmware updates (or was haven't had it in awhile).

Upvote 0
Those are two different divisions of Samsung. Though I can see how it would be alarming. I doubt they would do that to us. Look at the Samsung Instinct, it's been out-dated for over year now but still gets firmware updates (or was haven't had it in awhile).

But you have to look at how popular the product is also. The instinct was actually a decent seller and they had promotional push behind it. Where the Moment didn't even have any ads and I didn't even know the phone existed until I saw it at Best Buy. I'm afraid if sells don't pick up samsung wouldn't support as much because of the smaller user market.

Upvote 0
But you have to look at how popular the product is also. The instinct was actually a decent seller and they had promotional push behind it. Where the Moment didn't even have any ads and I didn't even know the phone existed until I saw it at Best Buy. I'm afraid if sells don't pick up samsung wouldn't support as much because of the smaller user market.

While I hope so, I kind of doubt it.

Upvote 0
While I hope so, I kind of doubt it.

While, it is true you have to look at product popularity. I had a samsung R510 back in the day, and was getting regular updates on that phone even after it was pulled from the shelves.

So I still doubt we will be left in the dust, but personally I'm an optimist. Plus, Samsung (mobile phones) has never let me down.

Upvote 0
I don't know much about samsung, but I look at it this way: they would be ******** to release a phone with an OS that is blowing up like android is, then not ever update it.
The whole thing about android is the updates and mods for it, why wouldn't they provide an OS update when every other phone manufacturer is?
BTW I do know for a fact that there is an update coming for both sprint android phones are getting some kind of update Q1 2010. No details on whether it is just big fixes or OS updates yet.
And the hero is supposed to be getting some kind of update soon from HTC for the problem with not displaying EVDO Rev A correctly.

Upvote 0
I don't know much about samsung, but I look at it this way: they would be ******** to release a phone with an OS that is blowing up like android is, then not ever update it.
The whole thing about android is the updates and mods for it, why wouldn't they provide an OS update when every other phone manufacturer is?
BTW I do know for a fact that there is an update coming for both sprint android phones are getting some kind of update Q1 2010. No details on whether it is just big fixes or OS updates yet.
And the hero is supposed to be getting some kind of update soon from HTC for the problem with not displaying EVDO Rev A correctly.

AdamR: I seriously agree with your statement. Google's Android OS is blowing up so rapidly that it wouldn't make any sense to have later updates for it's existing hardware (mobile phones) and software (Android OS). The Samsung Moment is currently at version 1.6, I would at least expect an update release for the 2.0 version later on. It's just the way things should be anyways. But I believe it will happen. :)

Upvote 0
Just a theory, but what incentive does Samsung have in upgrading the Moment to 2.0? The phone does what it's suppose to do...

1. Send and Receive calls
2. Send and Receive Text messages
3. Access Sprints optional services
4. Send and receive emails
5. Access the web

6. No exploding batteries
7. Working AMOLED
8. Sturdy case
9. Retain existing customers (probably some precentage)
10. Pursuade new customers (probably some precentage)
11. Take away potential Droid customers (probably some precentage)

If they hit these precentages, they're golden. Done deal.

So what is their incentive to pay a half a dozen software engineers to upgrade an already existing, working, and saleable device?

Wouldn't you rather put these engineers towards porting 2.0 into new hardware?

I'm starting to see Samsung as the new Sony of this decade. A company that has the resources and money to put out the latest. Whether it works or not - they can absorb it. Unlike Apple, Palm, or even Motorola. And being a direct competitor to Sony in almost every arena their out to do better.

With great Respect....
@Silverexpress: Well I'm sorry, but I do believe there is an incentive for them to release the 2.0 version of Android to the Moment.

The battery meter is not accurately telling the phone user the right amount of % battery usage left. It's giving the wrong %. Check the other threads on Battery Quirks for the Moment this Forum. Many believe that an update to the 2.0 version will certainly fix this bug. Don't get me wrong, the battery on the Moment is pretty awesome, but the meter and other third party apps with meters are currently faulty on the Moment. :eek:

Upvote 0
AdamR: I seriously agree with your statement. Google's Android OS is blowing up so rapidly that it wouldn't make any sense to have later updates for it's existing hardware (mobile phones) and software (Android OS). The Samsung Moment is currently at version 1.6, I would at least expect an update release for the 2.0 version later on. It's just the way things should be anyways. But I believe it will happen. :)

The Moment is currently at version 1.5......:thinking:

Upvote 0
Not sure if everyone has already seen this but this confirms that both the Moment and Hero will be getting updated. Whether the Moment will be to 2.0 is up for speculation but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Sprint: Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile Updates Coming - Gearlog

This is just rumor. But it was heard from someone inside Sprint. The sprint insider said that the Hero and Moment android phones will "probably" be upgraded at the same time, because management is worried what will happen if they upgrade the Hero to 2.0 first, only to get angry calls from the Moment owners "where is my 2.0?" The rumor is they are "probably" trying to upgrade both phones at the same time to avoid angering Moment customers. They mentioned that Sprint has historically upgraded similar models at the same time to avoid this problem. Make of it what you shall.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones