• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Moment Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastafarian

Pâtes avec votre foie
Nov 4, 2009
The Sea of Tranquility
Moment FAQ! A guide to common questions :

Samsung Moment User Guide

Samsung New PC Studio

Battery problems, quirks and issues: Read First

Moment 2.1 Update Thread

video-tutorial-how-install-samsung-moment-usb-drivers-windows-7-flawlessly

General Android Phone FAQ's

Android Forums FAQ

What is rooted/does being rooted mean?

More: http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/14136-moment-faq-guide-common-questions.html

Keep ALL Rooting/Rom/Overclocking etc threads in the Rooting Subforum:

All Things Root (Moment) - Android Forums

Comprehensive List of Known Issues:

- Camera preview does not display full scene that is captured in the image, especially noticeable in Google Goggles

- Phone will sometimes dial random contacts instead of the desired one when making a call to a contact with multiple stored numbers

- Pandora freezes phone (requiring battery pull) if headphones or power plug pulled out during playback

- Screen sometimes comes on with no input from user, draining battery

- Phone still has Airplane mode issue (may be hardware?)

- Proximity sensor is either broken by 2.1 or has a bug: screen stays on during calls and will sometimes turn off during use, requiring a finger over sensor to see screen.

More:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/15810-comprehensive-list-known-issues.html

Tips and Tricks for the Moment:

Battery Life:
-Ever since the CL14 update it has become unnecessary to bother with conditioning your battery to improve an accurate reading. in fact, the 'Topping off' method (meaning using the wall charger to charge it all the way up without pulling it off the charger at any time before it finishes, then switching it over to the USB charger to 'trickle' more power on top of that [if possible]) may be more trouble than it's worth. These methods were only necessary with the original CJ05 software that is no longer included in newly purchased handsets (in fact, it may not have ever been necessary, but rather may have been nothing more than a placebo effect in the first place).
-You may want to get a Passive app killer/manager (as-in, do not use it to constantly monitor app usage). The app killer/manager is an "at your own discretion" type of thing, not a necessity. So based on your own usage, it may not make a significant difference [credit: satinkzo]. The app killer will allow you to see all the apps that are running, and close them at your own discretion (because, when you close a program normally, it will often continue to run in the background). The killer/manager will also allow you to add some apps to an 'excluded' list so that you don't accidentally kill/close them. Some even allow the creation of app lists that are supposed to be auto-killed (keep in mind that the mere usage of this option may consume more system resources). Remember that active app killers that constantly run in the background (and appear in the notification bar) may consume more system resources/battery than they save. From personal experience I can say that I notice that my phone runs smoother without a constantly running app killer in the background. Though I do think it is a good idea to have one just for killing off high consumption apps (ex Sprint TV) that may continue to inexplicably run in the background after use. Just make sure you kill the killer when you are through with it;)
-Disable the Weather GPS (and instead assign it to your zip code). Hold down on an open space in your background, then select 'widgets', then open the large weather app, and change its setting to a specific area code rather than 'track location' (via GPS). This will save battery.
-Make sure you get the 'Quick Settings' app from the app market so you can quickly, efficiently, and easily activate/deactivate your Wifi/GPS/bluetooth.
-As with every phone, turn down your screen brightness all the way (or as far as you are comfortable). It's not as dim as you might think (certainly not as low as the 15% mode) and it saves battery. You can also set the brightness to auto-detect.
-Pretty much anything that uses GPS should be killed if you are not currently using it, and disable Wifi if you are not using that either.
-If you are having concerns with your battery, download 'Spare Parts' from the android market (free), it may assist you in tracking your battery consumption more efficiently.
-Pick up the app "screebl" in the market (check out the youtube video to see what is does). It may help with decreasing battery consumption... and it will help with preventing screen-timeout during use.

Chargers for your Moment:
-Keep in mind that your phone is using the ever-more common 'Micro USB' hub for charging and linking. This means that you need-not pay more for a Car/USB/Wall charger specifically designed for the Moment.
-There are suggested Sprint Car chargers sold on eBay by AZKOR20 (for about $8.99) as a good low-price source [credit: MrGadget256]. (Other suggested reputable/consistent purchasing sources are welcome).

Screen Protectors (as reported by Moment user experiences):
-The following prices typically mean: low price=Only Face, and high price=Full Phone (Front and Back).
-Phantom Skinz ($9.95 to $24.95 before shipping). So far has had the best reviews and application instructions of any that I have heard. With no 'orange peel' effect, and maintaining screen sensitivity.
-Clear Freak (6.99 to 12.99). Reported to not have a 'perfect' fit on the main screen, nor on the back side. Also reports of a feeling of reduced screen sensitivity and increased friction. Reported to have an 'Orange Peel' effect (a textured-looked not unlike an orange peel).
-Sprint Protectors (cut-it yourself, five for about $9.99). Essentially just thick packing tape. Good luck cutting it correctly yourself. Only works on the screen (will not work for full-coverage).
-InvisibleShield (14.99 to 24.99). No reviews as of yet.
-Best Skins Ever (?). Can anyone update me on their status?
Keep in mind that these screen protectors may degrade the sensitivity of your screen. Also keep in mind that, at least from my own experience, I have yet to hear about a screen that has been scratched.

Creating/Applying a Background:
-The wall paper does not equal the physical screen area x number of screens (while holding the height constant). The wall paper is only 2 screens in width if you are using a 3 screen setup. I believe it may also be the same with over 3 screens but I am not sure. Basically, it's not the size of the area that matters, it's the dimensional proportionality. Which seems to be close to height(3)by(5)width.
-Once you upload a background to your Memory card, hold down on an empty space in the background of your phone, and choose 'Wallpapers'. From there choose 'Pictures' and then select whichever you want. Once you have setup and have one selected, you can touch the edge of the 'rectangular selection' to proportionally manipulate the cropping of the selected picture, or touch the center of the 'rectangular selection' to move the area in a way which you prefer to center your background.

Themes:
So far, as personalization apps go, I only have experience with Open Home. Which, although it does come with a price on the android Market, is compatible with most all of the possible market themes. Including those for 'Open Home', 'aHome', and more.
-Keep in mind that personalization may allow you to use more than the typical '3' default home screens on android 1.5. However, it may come at the price of a slight decrease in processor performance.
-Setting new themes will allow you to truly personalize your new phone. Though just as a precaution, you may want to stick to more 'universal' or well known apps and themes, because many items on the android market may not yet be fully compatible with the Samsung Moment.
-Many users have been eagerly pursuing/requesting the 'Hero weather-clock widget. There is a fully compatible and available app on the android market for a price under the 'Beautiful Widgets (LevelUp Studio)' brand name. It is also the also available by weather widgets for $1.50, with a free add-on that creates the weather animation (minus the minute-flip) [credit: NOMster].

Updates:
-From market app updates to overall Moment firmware updates, it's a good idea to backup your apps/system/contacts/everything to your SD card. Just pickup a backup app from the market (I use 'my backup pro') and use it before you make an update.
-Sprint updates have a tendency to wipe your phone clean, so make sure you back up before you update. And ALWAYS backup your phone before going to a Sprint store with any problem. You never know how (in)competent your rep/tech may be.
-When you are in the Android market, ALWAYS read the comments on an app before you update! Not just the 'top three comments' but 10-20 of them! Always look for the answers to the questions; Is this update causing the app the force-close? Is the update causing the app to run slower? Is the new version causing system-wide problems? Is the app being discontinued? Is the most recent "update" just adding nothing more than advertisement banners into the app? Or is the update actually increasing the performance? Read the comments and learn what is happening. Remember that you are getting your app from an 'open market' which means the apps are mostly unregulated and you are responsible for what you download. Your fellow consumers are your friends, so listen and pay attention.;)
-KEEP IN MIND that some apps cannot be backed up! Some apps have a protected status in your phone and they will not backup. Make sure you check what kind of app you are messing with before you attempt the procedure in the next bullet point below.
-If there is a market update that you do not want, you may get tired of the market update reminders. If this happens, I suggest that you use your backup software (like mybackup pro) to backup the app to your SD card. Then uninstall the app from your phone. Then use the backup software to restore that app to your phone and re-install it. The end result will be that you have the app on your phone but it will be removed from the market list.

More: http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/20126-tips-tricks-moment.html

Reactions: weskimd
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones