Samsung Moment OverheatingSupport

Last Updated:

1. googleworldblog

googleworldblog Member This Topic's Starter

Alright, so I got a Samsung Moment last Sunday, and I like it... but if I put the phone in this leather case that I have and in my backpack... when I take it out it's gotten really hot. Battery meter reports around 43

Advertisement
  2. massiveian

massiveian Well-Known Member

Go download the app "spare parts" from the market. from there you can get an overview of what is running in the back ground. The reason your phone is getting so hot is because there is something that is running constantly using the phones battery and network. make sure your use wireless networks is disabled in your settings. What apps do you have right now?

3. googleworldblog

See that's the thing. I thought it may have been apps running in the background, but... the only thing that would be doing that is the Google Voice app and the Google apps preloaded on the phone. I have the Facebook app installed, but it's only set to check once every hour. I've got the free version of Advanced Task Killer running so I can kill anything that misbehaves, but other than that... not much.

4. bohnded

bohnded Active Member

Sounds like your phone is trying to overcompensate for lost or poor signal strength. I have the same issues when I am at Target: poor signal strength, phone heats up, battery drains more quickly trying to compensate

5. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

You might want to try swapping out the battery at a Sprint store... Running that hot isn't normal - unless you are running data and charging. Might be a bad cell in the battery.

6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Agree.

7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Double Agree.

8. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Triple agree. The hottest I've been able to get my battery/phone was up to 57C. That was with charging, streaming music, and playing bebbled. =D

But yea, triple agree on that.

9. googleworldblog

Seems like my dad's having similar issues with his Moment - anyone else here use a leather case? I was thinking it might have been the signal, but... well, I'll have to test it a bit more around my house where we actually do get a good signal.

And foodman... 57

10. BirdieMN

BirdieMN Active Member

I use a leather case to carry mine all of the time, I've never seen it get that hot. If you have good signal strength then it sounds like you've got something running in the background that is constantly transmitting data. Step one - get rid of your ATK program, they are worthless and chew battery if you leave them running all the time. Step two - download Spare Parts from the market. The next time this happens go into Spare parts and look at the battery history section. You'll likely find that your "Running" is at or near 100%. Look through the different kinds of usage and you'll see the culprits listed in order of how much they use each resource.

Podar likes this.
  11. rtkwebman

rtkwebman New Member

Ahhh so that is the problem! Every time I enter a zone or put my phone somewhere it can not get a signal then it gets HOT and drains the battery. I put the phone in airplane mode and now it stays cool. Thanks for identifying the root cause of this issue.

12. terminator0723

terminator0723 Member

I'm having the same issue. I just recently purchased my Moment from the Sprint store and my battery sucks. I've tried to cycle it several time with no luck.. I pulled it off the charger at 9 and it was back on at 12! It also get pretty hot under usage and charging. 45 degrees celcius right now. I've also noticed the phone likes to randomly restart when its hot or just freeze. Acccording to spare parts running was at 32%. But it just froze and restarted.. now its at 100%

13. dreze88

dreze88 Well-Known Member

14. terminator0723

terminator0723 Member

Hmm ill have to try it! Thanks!

15. Yirm

Yirm New Member

If you want to fry your phone (and who doesn't!) try putting wifi on while charging it.

16. musikat

musikat Well-Known Member

my battery routinely gets to 43c when I am browsing the web, with or without wifi (I use wifi at home due to poor signal). It stays cool when it is not being used. Is that normal or should I investigate a new battery? phone getting hot is one of my issues, the other being battery life, and I guess they are connected. It did this before 2.1 and still does after, although battery life is worse than before.

17. TekWar

TekWar New Member

I am having problems with my battery getting really hot after this 2.1 update. It didn't do that before. Seems to happen with the phone turned off and charging. I have very little installed, but it also seems to get much hotter than before the 2.1 update just running what it does. I do have a hard plastic case snapped around it. Running 44c right now with a couple of apps running. What is normal temp ranges?

It also seems like my battery life is crap again since the update to 2.1 after I had been getting great battery life after the "calibration" process after I first got the phone.

Why is it the update just caused me more problems than it solved? Although it hasn't gone in to Airplane Mode since the update. I guess that's a plus at this point.

The battery overheating and getting as hot as it did really worries me. Should I take it to the Sprint store and have them swap batteries?

Tek

18. musikat

musikat Well-Known Member

Well I took mine to both a sprint store and service center and both agreed that it was overheating. I am within my 30 day window so I am getting a new phone direct from Sprint. The more I think about it the more I think that if it doesn't come already installed with 2.1 I may forego the update this time around!