• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung MTP Win7

I have had my s3 for a year and a half practically and I was able to connect it to my computer without using kies. I rooted the phone a couple weeks after I got it and it was working fine until now. Last week I noticed I couldn't connect to it and assumed it was a phone problem because my camera had also been acting up. I decided to do a factory reset. The camera now works fine but it still cannot connect to my computer because MTP fails.

I attempted to connect it to my bf's computer and my brother's laptop and it works perfectly on both. I looked in device manager and neither of the computers uses Samsung drivers. Because of this I am positive it is a computer problem and was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar.

I did go through the xda forums and have yet to find anything that could help my particular situation. I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers. I installed WMP11. I have also tried different Samsung drivers and Kies. Nothing works. I appreciate anyones help. I don't mind taking out the sd card and transferring files that way, but it really bothers me that this was working and now no longer does. I can't think of anything that I've downloaded that could've affected it. :(

Hi Luvettes91 - welcome!

Other than rooting your phone are you still running a stock rom? Or have you installed a custom rom also?

One thing to check on your phone is whether or not USB Debugging is selected. I'm currently running a custom 4.3 rom so can't tell you the exact path location - but it should be under developer options in your settings.

I know for a while I struggled with mine not installing - but it was a long time ago and have upgraded laptops and phones since then...

Upvote 0
I have had my s3 for a year and a half practically and I was able to connect it to my computer without using kies. I rooted the phone a couple weeks after I got it and it was working fine until now. Last week I noticed I couldn't connect to it and assumed it was a phone problem because my camera had also been acting up. I decided to do a factory reset. The camera now works fine but it still cannot connect to my computer because MTP fails.

I attempted to connect it to my bf's computer and my brother's laptop and it works perfectly on both. I looked in device manager and neither of the computers uses Samsung drivers. Because of this I am positive it is a computer problem and was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar.

I did go through the xda forums and have yet to find anything that could help my particular situation. I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers. I installed WMP11. I have also tried different Samsung drivers and Kies. Nothing works. I appreciate anyones help. I don't mind taking out the sd card and transferring files that way, but it really bothers me that this was working and now no longer does. I can't think of anything that I've downloaded that could've affected it. :(

Easy fix...install the latest KIES software from Samsung's site. This one is specific for version 4.3...

www.samsung.com/ca/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP

Install and let it do it's business...It takes few moments to find the phone, but it will find it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Another thing to try would be to go to device manager on your pc and uninstal all the drivers for your phone. You may need to have it plugged in. You could also try putting it into download mode and connecting it to see if that helps bring up more drivers

MTP still won't connect :(... I have a feeling it may be Windows. I tried to download something from Microsoft and it said my copy wasn't genuine, even though I got it with my Sony Vaio:thinking:. I may just do a fresh install eventually. I just need to back up all my stuff.

Upvote 0
Didn't work either. I tried this earlier but gave it another chance. It's been "connecting" for about 10 minutes.

I actually had the same problem when I was using my wife's PC. Here's what I did.

Uninstalled the Samsung drivers...all of them. Installed Kies, stopped it from trying to connect...searched around inside the Kies application until I found something like install drivers from Samsung or something like that. It isn't hard to find, I think it's under tools, and you sound pretty technical. I let Kies install those drivers directly from the Kies software. When it finished, I rebooted the machine. Started Kies and connected my device. It took about 20 seconds to find it then I was able to browse my device from the explorer window, but Kies had to remain open. Weird and stupid, yes, but it worked.

Don't ask me how because all of my other PC's recognize the device without issue. She has a Lenovo running Windows 7 Ultimate...hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones