• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung PC Studio vs. Kies??

taylormah

Jul 21, 2010
So I went to download Kies native desktop software from Samsung's website, but I noticed there are another two different software available for dowload - New PC Studio, and PC Studio 3.1 .. They both also claim they manage messages, contacts, multimedia etc. A quick google search shows this question has been asked before, but there were no definite answers. My phone is not here yet, so cant test them. So does anyone here know??

So I went to download Kies native desktop software from Samsung's website....

Interesting question. First, I noticed you linked to the UK Samsung site. I looked on the U.S. site, and found that, in fact, the UK site is the only link. Weird.

Second the PC Studio 3.1 notes that it works "by connecting a Samsung Electronics Mobile phone(GSM/GPRS/UMTS) to your PC." I would think that this eliminates our CDMA Epic 4G Touch.

That still leaves the choice between Kies and the New PC Studio, which uses an old-fashioned USB as the connector. I am currently using the Kies (and it works great at syncing my music and Outlook contacts), but now I am interested in trying out the New PC Studio. I'll give it a test later today or tonight.

Thanks for the question!

Reactions: taylormah
Upvote 0
Thanks unplugged1. In fact, I owe you another thanks since it was you from whom I learnt Kies 2.0 can be used with our device too. I thought it was only for international version before reading your post about this great software. Do post back what you find out about that PC studio :)

Upvote 0
New PC Studio or Kies Desktop?

Out of the gate, the New PC Studio ("NPS") sort of flopped. At this time, NPS does not recognize the E4GT on the Outlook sync, the phonebook or the Scheduler. NPS does recognize the phone otherwise. I have not tried the Video Converter, because I have no video to convert, although it does sound promising.

The Phonebook portion of NPS is important to me so that I can sync my Outlook contacts with my phone. I do not want to use Google contacts because of the detail and photos available on Outlook. Also, I want to keep Google contacts off my phone because there are lots of people that I want Google Voice to recognize, but I have no intention of keeping a contact on.

Perhaps Samsung will add the E4GT to the list of recognized phones, but I can't count on that given that this looks to be a UK product.

Otherwise, NPS has a slicker interface and more controls. Like Kies Desktop, NPS connects to the E4GT either with USB or Bluetooth. (My PC doesn't have Bluetooth, so someone with a laptop will need to test how Bluetooth works.) The music syncing may not be real syncing, but merely transferring. The tutorial looks like there is a lot of file moving and it does not retain you settings for future syncing. Apparently, this program is more for moving files, and less for syncing files. I like the ease of Kies in that regard.

In conclusion, if you need to convert video or simply sync music, the NPS may fit your bill. I need to sync contacts with Outlook, so I will stay with Kies for now. Others who aren't so demanding may find the NPS to be the way to go.

If anyone happens to have videos the want to play with, give NPS a try and let us know how it goes.

On a related topic, those of you who use the Kies app on your phone may want to play with the Kies Desktop on the Samsung site. It does offer additional features, but it does not have the ability to sync through the internet like the app does.

Reactions: taylormah
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones