Samsung Pocket S5300 doesn't work on AT&T data package!?Support

1. norranun

norranun New Member

First of all, I had used the at&t prepaid sim that has data package in it on my LG phone, then I got my new Samsung Pocket today, so I think I would use the same sim card on the new phone and let's see what would it be.

In fact, when I used my LG phone, I had never been able to use internet anyway. I went to AT&T store and asked them whether my LG phone was compatible with AT&T data package or not. They said my LG was not compatible with its data package.

Now I got my new phone, Samsung Pocket S5300. I wanted to know what was going to happen if I used the same sim card on my Samsung Pocket. The result was still the same; my Pocket still could not be able to use internet on this sim card, so I went to the store one more time to ask them what was wrong with my phone. However, this time it's not my old LG phone, it's a samsung pocket s5300 that is running on gingerbread 2.3.6.

They said my phone was not bought at AT&T store, so it's not a registered phone. Therefore, It is impossible to use internet since my phone was bought form somewhere else other than AT&T store. They were right; I bought it from Amazon. Till now, I still haven't been able to use my internet on the phone even though I've had data package in the sim card.

I also contacted directly to AT&T customer care personnel and had a conversation with him for an hour. He tried to help me at his best by telling me to reset APN and stuffs to get the internet to work, but the problem has still been unsolved. Finally, he said maybe my S5300 Pocket does not support 3g, so the only thing I can do was saying thank you to him.

I can only use wifi hotspot so far, and it's not convenient for me at all.

I just want to know if there is any way I can use internet on my phone on AT&T data package that I've had.
    Any exotic suggestions or ideas are welcome since every way I've tried is useless.

Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

I'm baffled they didn't resolve the issue or give you a new SIM. :confused:
    This is certainly an issue for ATT to fix and I'd press them a little harder if you're a paying customer. Even buying the phone from Amazon shouldn't affect your plan or anything.
  3. norranun

norranun New Member

The personnel did ask me to reset APN and also try to activate my sim card again. He also told me to create new APN and ask me to write down the codes as he dictated one at a time. But the problem still persisted.

Well, he didn't tell me about giving new sim card.
  4. cenn

cenn New Member

The Samsung Galaxy Pocket supports 3G on the 900/2100 bands in Europe/Asia. AT&T in North America runs their 3G on 850/1900 bands. So it's a hardware issue. The phone doesn't have the proper radios to work on 3G here and no sim card change will help. It just has the radios to work on AT&T's 2G band. So best you would get is Edge data speeds on 2G. Any of these unlocked gsm phones you find online for sale, first make sure the UTMS/3G band support states 850/1900. A lot of the world phones for sale are 900/2100 bands.

But yeah, it would be nice if North America could get some love in the budget Android dept.
    breadnatty08 likes this.
  5. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the info, cenn!
    I hope this helps out the OP.