Samsung posts a FAQ for sideloading Apps on Captivate

Last Updated:

1. CamaroZ28

CamaroZ28 New Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    Endoran and fearitself like this.
  2. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Wow... that's crazy. Wonder what it says about the relationship between Samsung & AT&T..?

3. vapor311

vapor311 Well-Known Member

side load wonder machine is way easier and doesnt require root either. Samsung actually gave you a much harder method lol

but its kinda cool they are telling people they can do it.

4. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member

agreed. I like that Samsung is giving a big F&$* you to att. someone needs to wake them up.

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

6. CamaroZ28

CamaroZ28 New Member This Topic's Starter

I never said anything about this being a easier or harder method. Simply wanted to let people know that Samsung seems to have no regard for AT&T not wanting you to sideload.

Besides, to me this is just as easy as the wonder machine thing because I'm used to working with CMD. The things Samsung asks you to download are just drivers and some development kits. For anyone familiar with working with this stuff, its not difficult at all.

7. pr0virus

pr0virus Member

I dont think Att minds. They just dont want dumb people sideloading stupid stuff to mess up their phones. If your searching enough to know the terms to look for, then you probably know what your getting into and dont need ATTs tech support to save your ass.

8. Aftashok

Aftashok Well-Known Member

nothing.... AT&T blocks sideloading to prevent people messing up their phones and them being responsible for insurance claims. if you at a later time figure out how to sideload and do something to your phone, AT&T cant be held responsible for that then.

9. JEF81

JEF81 Active Member

nube here...am rooted and am trying to load Titanium backup and saw the instructions below. I am not sure how to "open a shell." Please help!

• Yes the setting exists but Samsung hides it from the UI.
    • Here is how you can enable it. Be careful about single vs double quotes. Open a shell and then do:
    • su
    • First we can read the setting. A result of 0 means it's disabled:
    • /data/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/files/sqlite3 /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db "SELECT value FROM secure WHERE name = 'install_non_market_apps'"
    • Ok, so now let's enable the setting:
    • /data/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/files/sqlite3 /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db "UPDATE secure SET value = 1 WHERE name = 'install_non_market_apps'"
    • Done! Now it shall work, and (as a bonus) you can also install apps manually by opening ".apk" files ;-)

10. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

Thanks man for posting this; interesting bit of information that I wouldn't have known otherwise!