• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Prevail headache repair problems UGH

mikecintel

May 25, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Yes currently I have my Samsung Prevail in repair and is going back and forth. They are NOT doing their jobs what so ever. My problem started in January 2012 when my faceplate the buttons were not working and I had to send in back for repair and then I got it back and everything worked.

May 9 2012 another problem and it the battery it will not charge and I have 2 battery and it always charges to 100% and it is full. When I plug it into a USB port it is not charge and it is decreasing. I plug it into the wall charger and it is still the same. I had sent it back to Samsung again. May 15th got back the phone and this time when I plug my USB data cable the computer will not recognize the Samsung Prevail at all. I had used it on 5 computers and the entire 5 computer will not recognize the device at all. This time additional to that problem I charged my batter and it goes to only 81% and it says "completely charged". I thought it was 100% fully charged but no it is not fully charged at all. BOTH batteries have the same issue. Send BOTH batteries back to Samsung with the phone. Told Samsung to test the batteries and to test thoroughly with the phone. Got a call from Samsung yesterday and I asked them did they test the two batteries and they said "NO" we did not test the two batteries and we need the device also. I said I have sent BOTH the batteries and the device back to Samsung for the test. I asked them WHY THEY DID NOT TEST THE BATTERY. They replied to me "I don't know". I was shocked how they replied me. They also said they changed my speakers and mean while I don't any problems with my speakers. You heard of the saying if it is not broken don't fix it... Well obviously they are fixing something that is NOT broken. Today June 5,2012 they will send the phone back to me and they said if there are problem send it back to us and we will evaluate the phone further. Let's see what happens. Will update on what happens. So far I send the phone back 3 times already. Today June 8,2012 and I received my Samsung Prevail back. Now I am going to try and recharge my 2 batteries and what happens. Well I did try the batteries and guess what....THE PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED. It goes to 80% and it says charged again. I have two batteries and Samsung has give me NEW batteries and still the same problem it will not fully charge. The computer still will not detect it and I think my data cable has a problem and I will send back for Samsung for an exchange for a data cable.

Today (June 11,2012) called Samsung and spoke to level 2 and the lady and she apologize profusely. Well she upgraded me to the 2nd day air. She wrote in my notes this is the 4th time repair and that sent to RSI (Repair Service Inc) **special instructions**. The lady wrote like this:

*06/11/2012//16:20:55//STACL2018//Telephone//Customer*
1) Inquiry:
4th time repair, upgraded shipment 2nd air, sent rsi special instructions

2) Resolution:apologize, apologize, apologize ZZZ05

June 14,2012 the phone has arrived to Samsung and today June 15,2012 they are testing the phone and I was shocked when I look at my ticket because they said my LCD screen/Touchpad was scratch and before it was not scratched before I had the screen protector on already. Also where is my Data Cable? I have sent my Data Cable but I don't see it in the notes below.

This is what it says:
*06/15/2012//14:03:52//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
6/15/2012 1:03 PM-Edmond: The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced PBA
*06/15/2012//11:10:17//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
LCD/TOUCHPANEL CAME SCRATCHED
*06/14/2012//14:49:19//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
6/14/2012 1:48 PM-Esmeralda Vera: Accessory: BATTERY,CHARGER
*06/14/2012//14:49:17//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
6/14/2012 1:48 PM-Esmeralda Vera: The unit has been received. Pack Condition: Fair Packaging (Orig. Box & Cushion)

When I came back from work today I saw that Samsung CLOSED the ticket and it is DONE repair. I was what the heck and they finally replaced the phone. They should have done that the second time I send it back. Now they said that it failed Quality check and it should be a long time ago like the second time it was sent.

It said this:

*06/15/2012//18:46:30//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
6/15/2012 5:46 PM-Julio P: The unit is shipped.
*06/15/2012//18:46:28//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
6/15/2012 5:45 PM-Julio P: No hold amount
*06/15/2012//18:42:05//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
6/15/2012 5:41 PM-Kathy Moffett: The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced PBA - Replaced Unit
*06/15/2012//18:41:03//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
replacement A0000029CA26D3
*06/15/2012//18:40:10//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
6/15/2012 5:40 PM-Kathy Moffett: The Unit did not pass Quality Assurance Check.

Then I called Samsung and they said they have to transfer me to Executive team so I can replacement my cable and they told me they NEVER received my Data Cable. They LIED because I sent the battery, charger and data cable all in one package and now they said they never received? Give me a break. Will update what happens when I get my phone back and what happens to be data cable.

Today June 18,2012 I called Samsung and they said OK they will send me a replacement cable and I should get it in 3-5 days. Finally I got my phone on June 19th,2012 and now I will wait for my cable to see if the charging problems goes away. Today June 25th,2012 Finally I got my replacement cable and YES it does charge and I don't have those issue anymore. I have 5 more months left and I pray that there are no more problems with the refurbished phones.

I had Samsung before and it was with Sprint in 2006 and it was the Samsung A640. BOY did I had problems but and they dragged it out until it was out of warranty and they said sorry we cannot help you because the warranty is out. The phone was NEVER fixed and still has problems.

Not sure what the charging issue is. As for the computer recognizing the phone, do you have the Samsung USB drivers installed on the computer?

It looks like you have this well documented. Hopefully you have all of this written down with the paperwork to prove what you say. I don't know about where you live but here in Bakersfield, Ca., we have free legal assistance for issues such as these. If they keep trying to screw you around, I would look in to taking legal action. You might end up getting a new phone plus a little extra to boot. You would be surprised how fast a company will move after being contacted by a lawyer about a problem when a product is still under warranty and not being handled correctly.

1 more thing about dragging an issue out until the warranty is void. As long as the issue is reported while under warranty and not fixed, it doesn't matter if the warranty runs out or not. By law you are still covered. Just a little information for future reference.

Upvote 0
Not sure what the charging issue is. As for the computer recognizing the phone, do you have the Samsung USB drivers installed on the computer?

It looks like you have this well documented. Hopefully you have all of this written down with the paperwork to prove what you say. I don't know about where you live but here in Bakersfield, Ca., we have free legal assistance for issues such as these. If they keep trying to screw you around, I would look in to taking legal action. You might end up getting a new phone plus a little extra to boot. You would be surprised how fast a company will move after being contacted by a lawyer about a problem when a product is still under warranty and not being handled correctly.

1 more thing about dragging an issue out until the warranty is void. As long as the issue is reported while under warranty and not fixed, it doesn't matter if the warranty runs out or not. By law you are still covered. Just a little information for future reference.
same goes for the company i work for if you call in before warranty runs out then the service con'ts until taken care of even after warranty is out.

Upvote 0
Hi Webiker 7,

Thanks for the info. Yes I do have the cable that came with my phone and also the USB drivers are installed correctly. What do you mean a "little extra to boost"? Getting a new phone is great but I will stay away from Samsung now because before I had a A640 phone and the support is bad. Five years later I got a Samsung and still the support has NOT improved. What a shame for a company that has a lot of people buying their products.

Upvote 0
Hi Webiker 7,

Thanks for the info. Yes I do have the cable that came with my phone and also the USB drivers are installed correctly. What do you mean a "little extra to boost"? Getting a new phone is great but I will stay away from Samsung now because before I had a A640 phone and the support is bad. Five years later I got a Samsung and still the support has NOT improved. What a shame for a company that has a lot of people buying their products.

I wrote "a little extra to BOOT" not Boost. lol :p

In other words you may get a little something extra to compensate for being without your handset and the problems you are going through (distress, anxiety, ect.). Usually the company will just upgrade your product.

The courts aren't too grand on large companies taking advantage of individuals when their product is still under warranty. They should have just sent you a new handset the second time instead of continually sending you a product that was faulty. They are at fault because they aren't giving you what you paid for. A fully functional device. ;)

After growing up in a family owned and operated retail business, I've learned a few things when it comes to products, their warranties and how to deal with large manufacturers. I had no choice,lol, I was the middle man. :D

Upvote 0
wetbiker i Think ive read my question before but dont remember where. My girls prrvail has been crap from day 1. I tricked it out and it acted a lil better. Got worse after a few months. Unrooted now. Question is...if i do warrenty can they tell if its been rooted before?
prolly not and they won't even take the time or effort to make a big deal out of it.

Reactions: leftnut26
Upvote 0
wetbiker i Think ive read my question before but dont remember where. My girls prrvail has been crap from day 1. I tricked it out and it acted a lil better. Got worse after a few months. Unrooted now. Question is...if i do warrenty can they tell if its been rooted before?

I agree with Cwhatever. I can't count the times that I have read where people have restored a phone back to stock and sent it in for warranty issues. I've even read where quite a few have sent it in while still rooted and Samsung fixed their phone. I can't say with 100% certainty that they will fix your phone but If I were you I would send it in and not worry about it. Worst case scenario is that they say no and send it back.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. :thumbup::D

Reactions: leftnut26
Upvote 0
HI Wetbiker7

OK thanks for that info. I think I will write to BBB about Samsung Plano Texas because this is unacceptable. But anyway will update my story when I get the device and USB data cable from them because I will document this and it will be sent to BBB sometime soon.

I would. You paid for a fully functional device and that's what Samsung should provide you. I've used the BBB before and it surprised me how fast they can get the companies to take action.

I sicked them on Dell because I was having a similar problem. I had a faulty laptop that was in and out of the factory for repairs. Dell eventually upgraded me to a better laptop and I haven't had a problem since.

It's unfortunate but sometimes lemons slip through the cracks and make it out to the public. Sometimes companies are slow to repair or replace their defective product and a nice kick in the ass from the BBB or lawyer is needed in order to get them moving in the right direction.

Good luck and make sure that you have full documentation of all correspondence between you and Samsung. It will help the BBB with your claim. :D

Upvote 0
Update 7-22-12

Now the phone when someone calls me the phone will ONLY vibrate and there is NO ringtone. Sometimes there are no ringtone and I missed a call. The sound settings are NOT mute. Anyway I can't care anymore because I only have 4 months left. Boost mobile is coming out with NEW phones anyway so I can't wait.

Upvote 0
Update 7-22-12

Now the phone when someone calls me the phone will ONLY vibrate and there is NO ringtone. Sometimes there are no ringtone and I missed a call. The sound settings are NOT mute. Anyway I can't care anymore because I only have 4 months left. Boost mobile is coming out with NEW phones anyway so I can't wait.

I've got a Marquee and love it. :D

Upvote 0
I've got a Marquee and love it. :D

Wonderful and Congrats...Lucky you. I am going to wait and hopefully there is a Motorola Photon coming for Boost. I am trying to avoid HTC because let's of people have problems and with Motorola or LG if they can't fix your problem you can have a REFUND. With Samsung and HTC it does not say it in their policy. With LG and Motorola it does. So make sure if you are buying any kind of brand READ the WARRANTY policy. I always read them because if the companies say we don't do refund tell them to read there own warranty policy.

Anyway the LG LS730 is coming to Boost Mobile and someone mention a Motorola phone from Sprint is coming to Boos Mobile and I hope that is the Photon. With the new phones it runs Android Ice Cream Sandwich. With kyocera there are no refunds at all in their policy. The Kyocera is also coming to Boost and that is the Hydro.

LG warranty says this:

LG will, at its sole option, either repair, replace
or refund the purchase price.

Motorola warranty statement says this:

Motorola, at its option, will at no charge repair, replace or refund the purchase price of any Products.

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Wonderful and Congrats...Lucky you. I am going to wait and hopefully there is a Motorola Photon coming for Boost. I am trying to avoid HTC because let's of people have problems and with Motorola or LG if they can't fix your problem you can have a REFUND. With Samsung and HTC it does not say it in their policy. With LG and Motorola it does. So make sure if you are buying any kind of brand READ the WARRANTY policy. I always read them because if the companies say we don't do refund tell them to read there own warranty policy.

Anyway the LG LS730 is coming to Boost Mobile and someone mention a Motorola phone from Sprint is coming to Boos Mobile and I hope that is the Photon. With the new phones it runs Android Ice Cream Sandwich. With kyocera there are no refunds at all in their policy. The Kyocera is also coming to Boost and that is the Hydro.

LG warranty says this:

LG will, at its sole option, either repair, replace
or refund the purchase price.

Motorola warranty statement says this:

Motorola, at its option, will at no charge repair, replace or refund the purchase price of any Products.

I see that you've done your homework as far as the warranties go. Smart guy. ;)

If you run across a good deal on a Marquee, they are great phones and have a few great DEVs working over in that section.:)

Upvote 0
I see that you've done your homework as far as the warranties go. Smart guy. ;)

If you run across a good deal on a Marquee, they are great phones and have a few great DEVs working over in that section.:)

Hi

Yes I do check everyone as for the warranties go. Thanks but I would not call myself smart. I had a similar incident using a Lexar MP3 player and it was a USB battery that is rechargeable. It was in 2005. I got a player and the battery would drain quickly so I had to send back to Lexar and they send it 2 or 3 device and still the same. I asked them I want my money refund and they say no we do not that. So I had to tell them to read there own warranty statement and they still would not give me back. So I had to fight with them and finally they gave me back my money.

OK thanks about the Marquee. Someone told me that the Marquee the screen crack easily is that true. When I called Boost rep when I got my refurbish back to activate it that is what they told me and they said they had lot's of customer calling about that.

Upvote 0
Hi

Yes I do check everyone as for the warranties go. Thanks but I would not call myself smart. I had a similar incident using a Lexar MP3 player and it was a USB battery that is rechargeable. It was in 2005. I got a player and the battery would drain quickly so I had to send back to Lexar and they send it 2 or 3 device and still the same. I asked them I want my money refund and they say no we do not that. So I had to tell them to read there own warranty statement and they still would not give me back. So I had to fight with them and finally they gave me back my money.

OK thanks about the Marquee. Someone told me that the Marquee the screen crack easily is that true. When I called Boost rep when I got my refurbish back to activate it that is what they told me and they said they had lot's of customer calling about that.

I don't know of anyone that's had a screen crack on them yet.

Reactions: mikecintel
Upvote 0
UPDATE 11-18-12

Oh No! my Samsung prevail is having a problem again UGH! The front touch pad buttons are NOT working intermittently. It started on Saturday 11-17-12. I just called Samsung and I told him my warranty is until Nov 30 and they said NO it has been out of warranty since Oct 31 2012. I told them this is a replacement phone and that Samsung exchanged it for me and that my warranty should last until Nov 30. Then they still don't believe me so I gave them my last repair ticket and they looked at it. Then I had to be transferred 3x and I had to repeat 3 times and the rep said you will have to call back tomorrow and you will have to speak to Executive Customer service (The highest level in Samsung) to determine if your phone can be repaired because this is a replacement phone. I said OK. Ugh but this is so stupid of the original warranty on the phone is until Nov 30,2012 and they replace the phone shouldn't the warranty carry over to the replacement? I think so. Will update tomorrow 11-19-12. Let's see if they will repair my replacement phone I doubt they will because lousy customer service and they don't care about people warranty and they are all LAZY tech and customer service people. Can't wait until I get rid of this phone for good and switch to another carrier.

Upvote 0
Wow! The Prevail is one of the all-time best selling phones that Samsung has put into production. Of all the people I've talked with and know that own a Prevail, very few have had difficulties with it. I, for the life of me, cannot understand why you are having so much trouble. It's crazy. It's like a little black cloud is following you and your Prevail around. lol

The Prevail that I bought back when they first came out is still going strong. I ended up selling it to 1 of my best friends and he loves it. The phone is still going strong despite being dropped on several occasion and slammed by the trunk lid twice.

As a matter of fact, I so love the Prevail that I'm going to buy another one when Kmart puts them on sale for $30 on Black Friday. I'm going to try and see if my wife will use it. If she doesn't , I'll just keep it as a replacement phone and use it as an mp3 player or something.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I really do hope that you have better luck with your next phone.

Upvote 0
Wow! The Prevail is one of the all-time best selling phones that Samsung has put into production. Of all the people I've talked with and know that own a Prevail, very few have had difficulties with it. I, for the life of me, cannot understand why you are having so much trouble. It's crazy. It's like a little black cloud is following you and your Prevail around. lol

The Prevail that I bought back when they first came out is still going strong. I ended up selling it to 1 of my best friends and he loves it. The phone is still going strong despite being dropped on several occasion and slammed by the trunk lid twice.

As a matter of fact, I so love the Prevail that I'm going to buy another one when Kmart puts them on sale for $30 on Black Friday. I'm going to try and see if my wife will use it. If she doesn't , I'll just keep it as a replacement phone and use it as an mp3 player or something.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I really do hope that you have better luck with your next phone.

Hello Wetbiker 7,

LOL yes that is right. I always have trouble with Samsung products. When I join Sprint in 2006 the phone was a Samsung A640 and I had trouble with them too. Then I switch to Motorola V950 and I had ONLY one problem and it was the battery. Then for 2 years it was work well until the keypad is sticking so that is when I switch to Boost Mobile and back then they ONLY had the Samsung Prevail Android the first phone for Boost Mobile.

Anyway I called Samsung yesterday and I spoke to the executive and they said YES we will REPAIR your phone. I said OK. This is the 5th time I had to call Samsung!. At the end of Samsung warranty I have to count how many times I called Samsung while and I was with Sprint and Boost Mobile and I will post it here.

When I got home I called Boost Mobile and I told them what the problem was and they have a policy which I did not know they have is they will give a FREE complimentary phone :) 1 time ONLY with the following rules:

PAY ALL YOUR PAYMENTS ON TIME AND DO NOT MISS ANY PAYMENTS WITH THEM.

The rep I spoke too said I was eligible because I pay my bills on time. These are REFURBISHED phones which I don't care. Hey, if it is FREE you can't say anything. They phones they are Samsung (UGH) LG, Motorola and a Sayno. I asked them what the models are and he said the following:

1. LG 102
2. Motorola Theory
3. Sanyo innuendo
4. Samsung SEEK (UGH)

Now I am happy to have a FREE phone and I will switch to ATT with a SIM card phone because that way if I want to switch to a PREPAID carrier wtih a SIM CARD I can without buy a new phone unless if it is broken the phone. I will stick with Boost Mobile for now until the phone I want from PANTECH Magnus is release for ATT and the price drops for a 1 year contact. They still have a 1 year contract from ATT online ONLY. I just hope when I switch to ATT they still have a 1 year contract online still.

Will update when I get a FREE phone and how it is compare to my Android phone. Yes I know there are NO apps it but at least I still have a phone to use.

Mike

Upvote 0
UPDATE 11-24-12

Boost Mobile complementary phone DENIED.

Hi Everyone,

I just called BM (Boost Mobile) and I want to see if there are still an outages from Hurricane Sandy and that I told her that I was hit directly with the Hurricane. Anyway the rep said OK there are no outage in your area and that she asked me how many bars will do you have and I said I don't have a phone now because my phone is with Samsung and then I asked her what about my complementary phone? Then the rep said it has been DENIED by BM because you phone is still in warranty and that we will NOT SEND a replacement phone for you. The only way we will send a replacement phone for you is IF your phone is OUT OF WARRANTY and that we check that none of the towers are out in your area and your phone has trouble and then it is determine that we will send you a complementary phone. Believe it or not I am not angry because I am thinking of switching the carrier and then use a GSM phone and then unlock and go back to a PREPAID provider which uses ATT or Tmobile towers. I am just waiting for the Stupid Samsung phone to come back and activate. Then if there is a problem again I am out of warranty I will BM for a complementary phone. Then I have to see what happens. Now I am waiting for the Pantech Magnus from ATT to launch. I will subscribe to 1 year (ONLINE ONLY) and after 1 year I will unlock the phone and switch to a prepaid again. I just pray AFTER I get back my Samsung phone I have no problem again but with so many problem I DOUBT it with Samsung.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones