samsung quality?Support

Last Updated:

1. tcseacliff

tcseacliff Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have never owned a Samsung phone, but have not heard stellar reviews for many of them. most reviews are pretty harsh on the quality, etc, of Samsung. is it possible they got it right with the galaxy S or is it just a pig with lipstick? I had a similar experience with Sony Ericson, good looking phone , lousy experience . I am hoping the Galaxy S is as good as it's specs. I don't want to waste an upgrade.

Advertisement
  2. EliC

EliC Well-Known Member

I have the samsung alias and think its a great phone. Now its NOT a smartphone, to its hard to judge them as a smartphone maker.

tcseacliff likes this.
  3. jgoose

jgoose Member

Hey, it's funny you say this because I have had many friends say the same thing. Personally I have owned samsung, motorola, and nokia. I have to say that I have never really had a problem with a Samsung phone. I loved my SGH-D807 and would still be using it if I hadn't cracked the screen on it.

I think you have to be careful what you read and hear, also not every phone is going to be a solid performer. Look at Motorola's track record and then the Razor came out, HUGE flop, but they still had other good products. Samsung and there last big release for smartphones (Omnia 2) overall had great hardware and capabilities but was restricted with Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5.

I personally love my Samsung product, if the specs of the phone meet your requirements I would not shy away from trying a Samsung. Of course there are a lot of other good options to, at the end of the day you decide based on whatever final reasons.

One last thing, as far as the Galaxy S goes, I think this is going to be a great phone from Samsung, they have the hardware but this time more important they went with a solid operating system. (reason why Omnia 2 did so poorly) I think there will be many happy customers when this hits shelves.

tcseacliff likes this.
  4. tcseacliff

tcseacliff Active Member This Topic's Starter

My kids have had razors, Nokias. they were good then not so much, but in other countries, still huge. we don't always see their best phones in the states. my sister has an impression. very well built but the ui not impressive.but from all the reading the galaxy S seems excellent. I have a Blackberry now, but really looking for what the Galaxy and android is offering. thanks for the in put guys, I am so looking forward to the Android universe.

5. rtimi

rtimi Member

To me every manufacturer has a problem or the other about certain products especially when the software isn't from them like windows or android. Windows mobile is a great OS but because it was built on an architecture for so many different specs, it has a problem fitting every thing and also the architecture was so old Samsung had to bring in their skins to make it user friendly which makes it hard on the hardware when two seperate skins running at the same time.

My suggestion is get the samsung since it already has the best hardware so far on an Android and also I have been using the first omnia since Verizon came out with it and have no issues. Granted it ran a little slow due to the overhauling of skins but have since revamped that by removing all bloatware and things not needed.

Now the Galaxy S is much better since they learnt their lesson from the past by adding a skin to what matters the most and also Android already having some user friendliness to it.

6. pdafan

pdafan New Member

Personally I have great experience with Samsung phones so far. I owned Samsung Omnia, i780, Omnia2 and I find the hardwares superior. In fact, I dumped HTC in favour of Samsung because overall they are value for money for the hardware. HTC is overpriced in my opinion although overall in terms of hw/sw they are good. The only thing Samsung does not do well is their software. However, on Windows Mobile platform I have lots of flexibility to change.
    I am confident Samsung Galaxy S will be another great product from Samsung, judging from the specifications released so far. I am also looking forward to owning my first Android Samsung phone to replace my current WM6 Omnia 2.

7. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

My only experience was with a Blackjack II. It was a piece of poo.

8. chrissyd

chrissyd Well-Known Member

All my experiences with Samsung have been well lived. My fiance owned the Behold 2, and although he loved the phone there were hardware issue's with the flash. None the less he has owned many Samsung, I owned a few and neither of us had any severe issues. Compare them to other top phone manufacturer's and that may produce different results, but that's a different topic. Give it a try and if you don't like it take it back within your carrier's stated return policy.

9. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

It is not their products that scare me it is the support. I bought a Blu-ray player from them in the early days of the format and there were regular firmware updates needed. Well they did not get them out in a timely manner. And with a smartphone you need those updates and I have no confidance they they will get them out. They seem to release solid items at low prices and then donot support them. Just look around and you will find plenty of info about this with electronics.

10. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member

don't have any experience with samsung's support on phones, but on computer hardddrives they own the market - the only supplier i know that offers direct support on their for warranty issues - ie log in, get an RMA number and send it in.

as far as this phone, i've had my eye on it but will probably wait a few months after it's out to see if any issues float up, like the nexus one (what a disaster). but suspect samsung will be putting their best effort on this phone, as it looks like they want to own the market. When they did that with TVs, they set out to design the DLP (Digital Light projection) TV - within 3 years they had accomplished what they had set out to do so well, sony & texas instruments partnered with them, obtaining licenses to use their technology.

Samsung can do it if they want to, and i suspect they want to, but that's only speculation on my part.

11. deeoh1084

deeoh1084 Well-Known Member

same here i didn't have any bad experience with Samsung except Samsung Behold (the first one t919) but i had samsung e105, e715, t809, t629, behold, and now i have behold 2 i didn't like the stupid touchwiz but ever since BH_MAN came out with bunch of roms i love it!!!! i'm using his 1.6 no touch wiz and it's running great so far but i only had good experiences with Samsung except stupid behold..... also, i had Motorola RAZR, HTC Mytouch, and used HD2 (for 3 days), Motorola Cliq (for about a week) but i still went back to my samsung phones because mytouch was getting slow and lots of force close and Motorola Cliq same thing it was getting slow and screen wasn't working well (after the update too) and i work for T-Mobile too but overall Samsung has been my first choice so far and it's been great to me and my family

12. dyh

dyh Well-Known Member

I had 2 Samsung i730s. The i730 was the first smartphone I used. I bricked one on accident, but the phone hardware was excellent for the time and both of those phones performed well. There was a memory leak issue, but as far as I remember for the time period it was the best phone I could get.

The HTC Touch Pro I have now, while being an upgrade in some ways, is disappointing considering I got it in late 2008.

This time I hope to make my upgrade last with the Galaxy S or Pro (or other alternative) as they look like nicely speced devices. I also don't care if it looks cheap. I just want it to be resilient in terms of build quality. For me a phone/portable computer is all about function over form.

It seems a lot of the complaints have to do with not supporting the phone after release and updating to the latest Android OS. Hopefully they will support these models and at the very least update to 2.2. I've read they're supposed to update all new Android Samsung models to 2.2.