• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Samsung Reveals Docks, Cases for Epic 4G (Galaxy) Phones

YaBoiD

Android Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2010
Lauderdale, FL
Samsung Reveals Docks, Cases for Vibrant, Captivate, and Epic 4G - Yahoo! News

thumb_550_epic-4g-accessories.jpg

YouTube - Sprint EPIC 4G Accessories

thumb_550_samsung-galaxy-s-car-dock.jpg

thumb_550_samsung-galaxy-s-desktop-dock.jpg

thumb_550_samsung-galaxy-s-case.jpg

thumb_550_samsung-galaxy-s-battery-charger.jpg

Samsung on Wednesday announced some battery-boosting cases and docks for their popular Galaxy S line of smartphones, including AT&T's Captivate, T-Mobile's Vibrant, Verizon's Fascinate and Sprint's Epic 4G.
The new accessories include a car dock, a bedside dock, and a backup battery charger. The bedside dock comes with a new app, Desk Home, which kicks the phone into a bedside mode, lowering the screen brightness and offering easy access to weather, alarms and music.
The accessories will be customized to fit the different form factors of each of the four carrier models, Samsung said. The company didn't announce prices for the accessories, but they'll all be available on Samsung's Web site.
Both the Samsung Captivate and Vibrant come with free Google Maps Navigation, but they're not yet the best phones to use in your car. Both phones are waiting on promised updates to fix problems with their A-GPS reception, and they need an upcoming Android 2.2 update for their voice dialing to work with Bluetooth headsets.

Attachments

• epic-4g-accessories.jpg
    epic-4g-accessories.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0
Those are pretty nice. I wonder if Samsung will be better about releasing the "official" docks than HTC has been for the EVO. Originally, the docks for the EVO were supposed to be available on the release date, then July, then August (right after the 2.2 upgrade), now the latest rumor is sometime in September...LOL.

Evo car dock has been out for a bit now. it's just not in stores or being advertised.

Upvote 0
I'll have pics of my Epic in the ProClip Adjustable holder before the end of the weekend. I really don't understand their car dock. The bottom of the holder is fixed to cup the bottom of the phone and the top has to slide in to the male MicroUSB. That's just confusing unless the bottom clips are on some sort of spring. Personally I'm sticking with the adjustable holder that fits my bare Epic just fine and getting and up angled microUSB cable that can run behind the holder and not stick up like a sore thumb when plugged in.
rr-aumcb-xxgsml.jpg

No need for a custom holder that'll set me back another $60+ and only use for a year before I ditch the Epic and move on to something else.

And, like the official Evo holder it's probably a fail because I'm sure the cradle doesn't have a standard AMPS or Richter back to attach it to a dash mount from any of the mounting companies (proclip, panavise and such). So you're stuck with a suction cup that sits on your windshield or the top of your dash like an appendage.

Upvote 0
Well I did get the Soft Case :)

Trouble is, the rubber "soft" case is only soft on the outside. I love the charger (which anyone who owns this phone will need), but I haven't able to use it because I'm afraid I'll scratch the phone removing the soft shell with the hard plastic interior. Someone needs to make a great case for the Epic that's both effortless and safe to remove.

In the meantime, I'm considering taking back the rubber case tomorrow and getting the leather one (to which you've linked) instead.

Upvote 0
I think someone said the jack will work once the 2.2 upgrade comes out.

Also, did you download the dock app from the market?

Any updated ETA on the Froyo update? This is by far the biggest annoyance of waiting for it -- waiting on the audio connector in the awesome desk dock to be enabled. I can't really use the dock and listen to Pandora at the same time now (other than propping it up on the dock "backwards").

Thanks,
-- robert

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones