• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung S 3 with old version of android. Wont update..

icom100

Lurker
May 8, 2015
I have an s3 that has android 4.1.2 I rooted my phone and not being familiar enough to know better did not make a back up before I tried to remove some of the bloatware that came with the phone. My phone wont accept any updates now. It will start the update but I get an error and have to reboot back to the old android. Is there a way to update it to the newest available android for the s 3? I really can't afford to spend money on a new phone and need it for a lot of things I do to earn a living as far as aps etc. Any help for an old guy would be appreciated. If there is already a thread about this available, I will gladly read it if someone could point me in the right direction.
Brian

Its an SPH-L710. Its on Sprint network in USA. It was rooted but I tried to delete some bloatware. Its no longer rooted but still wont OTA update. Keeps hanging up on "unexpected content" in the form of a zip file. I can reboot but no update. Is it possible to update it using USB and my computer? Thanks again for all the help.

Upvote 0
Its an SPH-L710. Its on Sprint network in USA. It was rooted but I tried to delete some bloatware. Its no longer rooted but still wont OTA update. Keeps hanging up on "unexpected content" in the form of a zip file. I can reboot but no update. Is it possible to update it using USB and my computer? Thanks again for all the help.
No. Because the firmware it is on was previously rooted. You need to reflash it with stock firmware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones