• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung S4 downloading app at only 2-3mbps

This is an example of the "hourglass effect" at work. That is, your throughput will only be as high as the weakest link allows. This means using 802.11n on a clear channel with a strong signal, CAT-5e or better cable between router and modem, etc. Even having a legacy device (802.11b/g) running on your router will reduce the aggregate speed on all router ports.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have a cable modem hooked to my Linksys e1000 wireless router via cat5e cable and to my router there is my Vonage adapter hooked to it with cat5e.. There are no legacy devices on my network... What do you suppose the issue is? According to speedtest app on my phone shows download speed of 16mbps and upload of 1.76.

Upvote 0
Strange, because it sounds like you have the good stuff. Are you using channel bonding on that router? It's a technique for getting greater bandwidth (and thus, speed), but it's only effective when the signal is strong and clear. It actually reduces throughput in the presence of interference. Try installing Wifi Analyzer to see if maybe you have channel interference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones