• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung S4 not charging properly.

booboo636

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
My battery was low so I charged it in car as usual until I got home. Plugged it in at home and a minute later I heard it beeping and lighting up(same beep that it makes when you initially plug the charger in). I unplugged the charger and looked at the phone and it said "safe mode" in bottom left corner. I googled it and told me to turn off and take battery out for 10secs and turn on again. I did so and same mode had disappeared. Put it back on charge and again in within a minute, it beeps and lights up.
1st of all, I have no idea what safe mode is or how/why my phone was in/on it.
2ndly, any suggestions on the charging palava???
Phone def has not been near water so no water damage. I use my car charger frequently so I know its not it. Could it be the charger in the house??

The charger I use downstairs always works with other phones and did with mine until last night. I plugged it in and went to sit down....and every other minute, it would randomly light up and beep (almost like I was just plugging charger in for the 1st time). I wasn't touching it and there was nothing running on it. Just plugged it in as usual. It's almost like a loose connection.... I'm putting it down to the charger (despite working before and still working on other phones), I tried it on my samsung charger upstairs and works fine.
I only mentioned the whole "safe mode" thing in case that had something to do with the problem. I don't know what safe mode is let alone how my phone got into it.

Upvote 0
If you Google S4 doesn't charge, you will find a Lot of discussions including a particularly long one on androidforums.com. Very common scenario is that the phone does not recognize that it's being charged or goes in and out of charging. They go through the usual suspects (phone charging port tab bent, bad cord, bad battery) . One thing several mentioned that I have experienced myself....for some reason you are MUCH more likely to have phone fail to start charging properly if you wait until it's very low.

My experience-After almost one month having this phone, my phone charged right every time until the first time I plugged it in below 15 percent. ....then had to try repeatedly to get it to charge. Note nothing was abnormal before I plugged it in, just decided to let out go lower than normal. Since then I Never let it go below 20 percent again and never had a problem again.

Upvote 0
Samsung phones are notorious for having bad charging ports...

I had mine go bad.

It definitely sounds like your port died by what you described. If its under warranty take it to a VZW to have it checked out.

If not, you can change the port yourself, I did mine, it took about 15 minutes. Just MAKE SURE you order the right port the VZW one is different from other S4's

There's videos on how to do it.

Upvote 0
If the car charger is working, then it's not the port in the phone that's bad.
You said that other phones work OK with the charger in the house. Are those older phones that don't have the high power input requirement that the S4 does? I'm wondering if the charger is not outputting enough to keep the S4 charging.
If you know someone else with an S4, you might try plugging in to their charger to see how it works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones