• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung S5 running out of memory problems!?

tommysport

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
Hi all,

New poster here. I'm in the UK, have an S5 that I've had for around 14 months now. It originally had a Sandisk 64GB SD Card in, but in December it decided it didn't like it all of a sudden and didn't read anything. Luckily my PC still reads it so I got all my files. (32gb worth...)

Anyway, moving on, the problem now is I am running out of memory. I have a new SD card in there, and have saved every app possible to the SD card, I also have all my photos etc onto my SD card (therefore trying to keep my phone internal memory free.

However, I keep getting the insufficient memory warnings coming up and I literally can't think of any other way to free my phone up? It's not like I have loads of apps or anything installed either. I would be really grateful for any help on this! Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about:

Screenshot_2016-02-06-09-07-51.png

Screenshot_2016-02-06-09-07-58.png

Screenshot_2016-02-06-09-08-04.png

Screenshot_2016-02-06-09-08-20.png

Screenshot_2016-02-06-09-08-37.png

Screenshot_2016-02-06-09-08-48.png

Screenshot_2016-02-06-09-08-57.png

Screenshot_2016-02-06-09-09-10.png

Any help would be really appreciated, cheers !!

So to avoid any confusion, you are not the original poster's in this thread, correct?

Probably best that replies to your question go to your linked thread, as it's probably a different problem. I've posted a quick comment, but have to go offline right now so hope someone else will have a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I can't see the images, but that may just be my browser. I have to get up stupidly early tomorrow so can't really try anything else to look at them tonight.

From your post on the other thread I can see you have 510MB free internally, which is why you are getting the messages - a Samsung phone tries to keep 500MB free as working space, so won't install an app if doing so would leave less than that. Different manufacturers set different limits for this. But without the images I can't guess why you have so little (my suspicion is apps storing a lot of data, but that's just a blind guess).

Upvote 0
The image below identifies apps and app data as the problem:

Screenshot_2016-02-06-09-08-20.png

The mismatch between the 9.9GB of space used there and the individual apps shown in the other shots is pretty large. So the question is what is actually using the space (i.e. what is the system storage menu classifying as app data that the application manager isn't)?

Suggestions:

* Sort apps in the Application Manager by size and look at the largest, just in case something obscure is taking up a lot of space (most likely app data rather than apps themselves)

* Install an app called DiskUsage and see if you can spot the large files using it (it provides a graphical view of storage usage). If there are some really big files here, that app should show them as long as they are not in a root-only partition.

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones