• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Security Policy Update problem

In the past several days, every time I tried to connect to a wireless network on my Samsung S4, I got the "unauthorized access has been blocked blah blah blah" message and I was asked to update my security policy. But when I tried to do that, it just said it was trying to connect to the server and spun forever.

I called Verizon who patched me into Samsung tech support and the women there had me do the following to fix it:

1. on your home screen, go to Settings > More > Applications Manager
  2. You'll see a bunch of tabs at the top of the screen. Swipe to the one titled All
  3. Swipe down until you see Security policy Update
  4. Press Security policy update
  5. On the next screen, press Force Quit
  6. Press Clear Data
  7. Power off your phone
  8. Remove the battery and wait 30 seconds. this is called a "soft reset" apparently.
  9. Re-insert your battery and power your phone back on.
  10. Next time you connect to a wireless network, you should get the same security warning message. But this time, when you click "Update security policy" it should actually work.
  11. Once you do that, restart your phone
  12. Test the fix by turning your wifi on and off and reconnecting. You shouldn't get the message anymore

So far, no new security updates warnings for me. fingers crossed

Upvote 0
This is doing my head in. Got really excited when I saw this post thinking I will sort it, but no, did not work for me. I did what wylreelguy suggested. I get the security information box when I connect to wifi, the only option I get is view apps. I have no idea which app I am suppose to be looking at and as far as I know I do not have apps from unauthorised sources. This is so damn frustrating but am not going to do a factory reset just for this.

Upvote 0
This is doing my head in. Got really excited when I saw this post thinking I will sort it, but no, did not work for me. I did what wylreelguy suggested. I get the security information box when I connect to wifi, the only option I get is view apps. I have no idea which app I am suppose to be looking at and as far as I know I do not have apps from unauthorised sources. This is so damn frustrating but am not going to do a factory reset just for this.

Are you sure you followed it to the letter? It didn't work the first time, but the second time for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones