samsung trying to attract iphone users?General

Last Updated:

1. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Do you think that was the method to their madness behind this Samsung galaxy s device? Thinking that they would make something as close to the iPhone as possible for Android?

Clearly it was no accident LOL.

- same app screen
    - slides app screen the same
    - same looking app icons on app screen
    - same green phone icon
    - same bottom row dock space for 4 apps
    - same phone design and size (galaxy being slightly taller)
    - etc. (If I missed anything)

I find it comical because despite the similarities, the galaxy seems to out perform it on almost every level of comparison. Maybe not all

So is this supposed to be a phone for iPhone users who migrate to Android?

Advertisement
  2. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

It sure looks that way. That said it is much more powerful than the current gen iphone. I am really looking forward to seeing this device in person.

3. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Well-Known Member

Well, most people on this forum will be turned off by this, but as far as the general public I think they will gain more than lose people because of this.

4. ovenfresh

ovenfresh New Member

I currently have an iPhone and am looking forward to getting this when it comes to AT&T.
    I like my iPhone, its apple i can't stand, and with Jobs latest attack on Devs with his TOS update I've determined I'm through. 1 more month and I'm out of my contract and will be looking forward to getting this phone.

The fact that it resembles the iphone (black background, static bottom row) will actually help me transition and is much more appealing as a whole then what i currently have.

In short, devs made the iPhone big, not Jobs, and as a college level programmer myself, it took huge offense to what hes doing to devs, therefore I'm off to android :)

rtimi likes this.
  5. rtimi

rtimi Member

I have to agree with you. What I can say is if you used the omnia 1 which was made the same year as iphone 1 just without the black background you will see that samsung just made what was already there better.

6. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

I expect this phone to be the guts of the new Iphone.

7. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a feeling you're not alone...

8. deeoh1084

deeoh1084 Well-Known Member

yeah it's just the app menu that looks similar not the entire phone menu if you look at the home screen menu it's totally different and also u can change the iphone look alike app menu to list view but i am very looking forward to this phone

9. FuTuRe

FuTuRe Well-Known Member

being an iphone user yes they took a good design and unfortunately didnt bother changing anything it!!

having the first gen iphone i prefer an updated design but it still good, however theres no execuse to copy the UI exactly!!

i would love to have htc sense on this thing and yes it can be disabled.

super amoled is just awesome! i wouldnt even bother with an tft screen now and the evo is just way to big!

no led flash? bit silly having the best fone with all of the features and leaving out a lil flash! but i have never had a fone with a flash does it really make a big difference? i dont really take pics in the dark much anway! ;)

i believe video calling over IP will be BIG! and very strange android fones do not have a front camera doing this when windows/symbian have been doing this for years! unfortunately not over IP and with excessive charges! if anyone can do video calling well its apple! skype are belived to be working on mobile video calling so we should see this soon. if you are about to buy a fone i wouldnt get one without a front cam!

was originally hoping to get the incredible in the uk but of course that is not happening, however htc should have some new fones in H2 so maybe they will have something similar? who knows!

i do like the new iphone there is a small possibility i will get it but unlikely :)

i dont normally watch stuff on the fone but with a screen like that capable of playing HD xvid/mkv!

i actually overlooked this fone thinking it was a crappy iphone knock off from the picture boy was i wrong!

i am very surprised there is not a huge buzz about this fone like incredible i think a lot of phandoids just hate iphones lol

10. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member

doubt i'd miss the flash as a flash, but on the HD2 (i brought one home for 4 days) there are two LEDs for the flash, that also serve as a flashlight when needed - now that is handy feature

11. FuTuRe

FuTuRe Well-Known Member

i've always used the 'theres an app for that' screen flashlight ;)

12. deeoh1084

i don't think they copied the UI exactly... did u see the video of this phone? because the reason is it's just app menu that looks like the iphone menu but actually you can change the app menu to the "list view" and also if you look at the home screen it's completely different from the iphone i just don't like the fact that people think samsung copied the iphone's ui EXACTLY i agree it's similar but its not EXACTLY the same because u can change the view of this app menu and it's just the app menu that looks similar

13. FuTuRe

FuTuRe Well-Known Member

well that maybe true but the app grid is exacly the same even the dock icons at the bottom with a different colour! tut tut i dont think they should of gone that far!

hopefully we can customise with or without rooting :)

14. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

yes, apparently if you dare to show your list of applications as a grid of icons with the name of the program underneath you're copying windows 95 err I mean the iphone err I mean original mac err...icons!!! patented by the Amiga!

15. deeoh1084

LOL yeah i agree pretty much amiga is the one who originally developed icons and etc.... so u can't really say they copied who and who and who pretty everybody copied everybody and they all got it from the originally company who developed icons.....

16. tmzbeme

tmzbeme Well-Known Member

it looks like a cartoon kids toy ....they really went overboard with touchwiz 3.
    I would prefer the phone with stock android to all those cheesy big buttons.

17. deeoh1084

I don't know I think this new touchwiz 3.0 looks better than stock android but I guess everybody has different opinion or personal prefrence but it will be really nice if this phone had an option where u can change it to original android OS after reading ur post

18. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

true, both this and motoblur seem to be true skins over the OS. Whereas HTC atleast has made sense optional as an overlay. Well there's always rooting if it turns out touchwiz is horrible...

19. =KLRS=ZERO

=KLRS=ZERO Well-Known Member

or if you hate it just use a home replacement. there are plenty out there that look like stock and have themes! Oh, how i love android!

20. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

Dont like the UI then dont buy the phone, thats how simple it goes.

21. waspbr

waspbr Well-Known Member

for an open source OS, the UI is pretty irrelevant, if you want you can costumize it as you like it (may involve rooting). I am going to buy the phone mostly for its specs, the look of the UI is secondary.

Nevertheless, Toutchwiz 3.0 is getting some very good feedback

22. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Was that pun intended or did it just slip in...:D

23. EliC

EliC Well-Known Member

Clearly they are trying to attract iPhone users. I'm just suprised that they have not switched their case to the iPhone 4th gen looking case. As long as you are going to rip off a design it doesn't make sense to be using the outgoing style.

24. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Are we not forgetting the "iphone ui" has been around for ages, and all it is, is elements from other mobile platforms? Icons are icons lol...

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

25. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

People keep forgetting or are ignorant to this

[​IMG]