Samsung vibrant dark pictures test

Last Updated:

1. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So i read somewhere awhile back that samsung backed up their reasoning for not putting a flash on the phone by stating that the camera and its options produce a much better night shot than using an LED flash that will saturate everything white within 6 feet. also claiming that the led flashes used in phones are only good for upwards of a max to 6 - 8 feet, which isnt near what an actual camera flash does.

Well i decided to put it to the test. two pictures from the exact same spot. one using normal camera, the other using the night shot option.

While sitting in my car at work after a delivery i decided to take this, 7:30pm central time Illinois

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/kineticsreborn/730normal.jpg

and this
    8:30pm (sun fully set)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/kineticsreborn/830normal.jpg

i think thats pretty freakin' awesome. I had the samsung behold 2 that had a 5mp camera with flash and night shots never looked this good.

I think its quite amazing.

Advertisement
  2. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

It does do a great job. I noticed all you need is a little light and the picture comes out great.

3. jkcheng122

jkcheng122 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

changed them to show as pics for ya.

mavictb likes this.
  4. 03machme

03machme Well-Known Member

I have said it over and over this camera alone is worth the price of the phone.

I took these today of the new football stadium being built here at north texas. Both taken at the same time only diff is the night setting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. HadouGhost

wow your pictures are stunning aswell!

6. nickdog670

nickdog670 Well-Known Member

Wow, amazing! If only night mode worked with video recording...

7. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

Very nice Ghost. Impressive. :)

8. Hurracayne_dre

Hurracayne_dre Well-Known Member

9. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

With ISO night settings as great as these who needs a crappy little LED flash? Now it's clear why the "flash" was omitted... it's unnecessary and obsolete.

10. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

amazing!!!

11. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

Took this today and i know it dont look like much but this is the confessional room for the Real World at the Palms when it was there some time ago and this room is pitch black. Walls and ceiling are black, light switch, plugs are black. Only white chair and carpet arent black..and those pictures but with no light, it is very dark in there. I still had to use a flashlight in there to do what i was doing so this came out well.
    There was a very low level light fixture on at the time when i took this. Maybe if i had a pic of it without night mode you would see what i mean but i didnt take one. Didnt figure id be posting it anywhere :p

[​IMG]

12. JackieRose

JackieRose Member

This is a pic I took at a restaurant with very poor lighting and the night shot worked perfectly, i was definitely impressed with the results

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

Very nice. And there is absolutely NO way that any type of mobile device's flash unit (LED or otherwise) would have the range to illuminate the human subjects in the far background. ;)

14. HadouGhost

That, and buffalo wild wings kicks ass!

15. wildblue

wildblue Well-Known Member

Thought the same thing. Also, very obvious in the parking lot and stadium pics. Reveals the typical phone "flash" to be a much weaker option.

16. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

Absolutely, and especially true given the low noise at the "night" ISO setting. Very impressive.

17. kbohip

kbohip Well-Known Member

The only time you would really need flash is in a situation where there is very little to no ambient light, such as in a dark club setting. There's no doubt about it though, this camera does amazingly well in low light situations considering the tiny size of the lens itself. I really hope no flash is the future for these phones. Sometimes in public places all the flashes going off can get annoying.

18. HadouGhost

also dont let anyone with a droid x or evo blast in your face about "i have an 8mp with flash"

because 1. we already have proven our camera at low light blasts theirs out of the water with flash.

and 2. to make them shut up about how they have 8mp compared to our 5

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

also a very quick sum up "you won't see any real improvement in your images by going from 5MP to 8MP. 3MP is sufficient for most people that make mostly 4x6" prints and 5MP will give you plenty of image to make up to 11x14" prints. The "extra" image you get with an 8MP camera does give you some cropping room but we've seen the overall image quality degrade above 5MP. The makers are putting more pixels on the same physical size image sensor and this leads to increased noise in the image in some cases as the adjacent pixels are closer to each other. More pixels is good but you need a physically larger imager such as those found in the dSLR cameras to make proper use of more pixels without losing image quality. The 6MP sensor in the Digital Rebel is physically 3-4 times the size of the 6MP sensor found in the fixed-lens consumer digicams. "

mavictb likes this.
  19. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

Exactly right on! Good post. [​IMG]

20. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Wow, I'm impressed by some of these!

Remember guys (who know who you are), play nice or find another sandbox to play in.

21. HadouGhost

I understand. I apologized and made bromance. Its all good.

22. the1who

the1who Well-Known Member

Ok, I think I have set my settings up right, but I think I might have missed something. I need to figure out how to do this correctly. I had a lit room but the picture still seemed dark, comparable to the first buffalo wild wings picture. What do I need to do exactly? I mean I am sure I'll google it, but I guess since I am here...

I found it, I guess I was doing it right...I just need to tune in where I can really take a shot inside with a small lamp as backlighting and when not to.

23. HadouGhost

while in night mode you can still adjust your white balance, saturation, and contrast to get it just right.

the1who likes this.
  24. GalaxyS_Superphone112

GalaxyS_Superphone112 Well-Known Member

Wow these pictures are amazing i took some of my own to try tosee if it really worked and shit it did its 445am im laying down on my laptop tv off light off and you can see an incredible difference ill try to post the pix later

25. HadouGhost

please do post!

Everyone, post comparison shots! these are fun!