• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung vibrant dark pictures test

sammyv you argue your point so much like unless everyone agrees iwth you, youre their enemy. your opinion is not the right one. so stop forcing it upon others as if it is. led flashes are nice in situations but they oversaturate everything. you own a vibrant yet you DOWNPLAY it every chance you get. I'm tired of it. I enjoy half of your posts and the other half make me wish you werent here. I am seriously tired of your negative bashing posts. its like you dont know which side your on. You can back it up as being a 'realist' or 'telling it like it is' but i see it as you just being a hypocrit. return your phone and get something else. and if you chose to dislike me over this post, i dont think i have any room left in my "Give-a-damn-container"

You push and push and push like your word is rule.

I'm not enemy's with Robo21. The controversey comment was an inside joke that I'm sure Robo21 got. Infact I have private messages with Robo21 with no sticks or stones ever thrown.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Upvote 0
make your point on one sentence. dont drag it on and on.

The vibrant is a great phone. rather than downplay it at every turn, talk about good stuff for once. every thread i see you in its negative.

Sorry you feel that way, I have many posts that advocate the great features of all the Samsung Galaxy S phones. Some might even call me a Samsung Fanboy. However, I like to keep it real, I will point out flaws, and talk about Vibrants strong points as well.
Case in point, the following thread I made a comment on 7.28.2010 about the amazing camera.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-vibrant/135900-camera-worse-than-camera-blackberry.html

Also don't you think now you are the one pushing your opinions? Make my points in 1 sentence? Yes sir.

Anyways, back to the phone.

Upvote 0
Drama queen, you would start controversey. J.K

In all seriousness, I have to disagree. I do not think LED flash is unncessary, nor is it obsolete. On the contrary it is a newer feature on phones.

Here is the undeniable truth, anyone who says otherwise has an over inflated opinion about the night mode feature on the Vibrant.

So the truth is, night mode works fantastic, AS LONG AS THERE IS SUFFICIENT LIGHT already pre-existing in the environment. The Vibrant is able to amplify this pre-existing light, and produce nice night time images. Again, I will stress, there needs to be some light source.

Now, here is where the Vibrant has a major handicap. If there is not sufficient pre-existing light in the background, the Vibrant will produce dark unusable photos at night.

The Vibrant is a hip new phone, obviously young people are going to be using it, it should have had a flash.

Case in point, I was recently at a gorgeous bar in LA. The entire place is dark, and only lit with light from Candles and fireplaces. The only area with actual light is the bar itself. Taking photos of friends, sitting right next to me, or standing 2 ft in front of me came out basically pitch black. The candlelight and light from the fireplaces did not provide sufficient pre-existing light, for the Vibrant's night mode to be able to amplify the light.

Any other phone with a flash, like my prior HTC or bold 9700, both take stunning photos at night, especially of close subjects in dark settings, something the Vibrant simply cannot do, unless you provide sufficient background light.

For me, the Vibrant is useless as a camera at night when I am at social events. Oddly, many of the places I go, are very dimily lit, many with candles, or very very dim ambient lights.

In retrospect, you are right Sammy, my statement was a hasty exageration. Flash is not "obsolete." I was caught up in the exuberance of seeing how nice the night shot/low light capabilities really are with the Vibrant. I can see how a flash would be useful in close-in situations with insufficient light for proper exposures at the night shot settings.

Points well taken.
cheers2.gif

Upvote 0
an led flash on the phone would be good if, yes like you and sammy said, if your suject is within the 6foot to light them up. but in other situations where the white led wont do much, thats when the awesome iso settings of the vibrant would come to play.

and my apologies for the hasty words. (people bashing this phone for what ever reason sometimes takes me to the brink. my vibrant is my 2nd love)

Upvote 0
an led flash on the phone would be good if, yes like you and sammy said, if your suject is within the 6foot to light them up. but in other situations where the white led wont do much, thats when the awesome iso settings of the vibrant would come to play.

and my apologies for the hasty words. (people bashing this phone for what ever reason sometimes takes me to the brink. my vibrant is my 2nd love)

Exactly, the range on an LED flash is limited but nonetheless useful if your subject is within that range. Then again, at some dimly lit events it might be obnoxious to fire an LED flash - it might be inappropriate. I can see where the option would be beneficial.

Agreed, the Vibrant's phone is hardly "useless" in low light as some have said. As we have seen in this thread it does a remarkable job in 'night shot' with minimal noise for such high light sensitivity.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of a nightmode over flash b/c flash really IS obnoxious in some settings. If they could continue to improve it I think it could be great.

Sensor sensitivity will continue to improve and filter down into point and shoot cameras. To get an idea of leading edge, take a look at the Canon EOS 5D Mk II, it offers excellent low light sensitivity at very low noise levels. That camera is capable of mind bending low-light photography.

Upvote 0
is there a way to keep it in night mode?

i went cosmic bowling the other night and got to try it out for real but i had to keep resetting it to night mode kind of a bummer when trying to catch a "kodak moment"

without night mode
2010-09-18%2022.03.04.jpg

with night mode
2010-09-18%2023.30.14.jpg

i told them to hold still ...
2010-09-18%2023.25.02.jpg

Wow! Night mode adds a chick! How come my phone doesn't do that???

Upvote 0
I like the idea of a nightmode over flash b/c flash really IS obnoxious in some settings. If they could continue to improve it I think it could be great.

I like the idea of having both options. While Night Mode is awesome, it shouldn't be a reason to omit the LED flash, which has many other uses besides picture taking.

Here are a couple of recent comparison shots between normal and night mode:

2010-09-26000802.jpg

2010-09-26000818.jpg

Upvote 0
how can I get this option I can't find it on my phone. Help please

Just go into the camera mode, hold the device in the landscape position, press the small right pointing arrow on the left side of the screen (next to the Tmobile logo), this will bring up several more buttons, press settings, press "None" under Scene mode, then select "night" from the list.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones