• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Vibrant System Update (Not 2.2) Released [OTA Discussion]

cowppl

Sep 24, 2010
Ok, so I may be leaving the USA soon. I plan on unlocking my phone and going out of the country with it. I don't know how long I may be gone.......maybe years, so here are a few questions.

1. I plan on going South Africa. According to this site, both the phone and 3g should work perfectly right?

GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

2. I have seen an app to unlock the Vibrant. It is by DaGentooBoy from XDA. Its called Samsung Galxy S Unlock. Would it be better for me to use this app or to just request T-Mobile to give me the unlock code. Are there any pros or cons for using either method.

3. If the OTA update or Froyo don't come out before I am gone, will I be able to get an OTA over wifi while I am in South Africa. Just to clarify, I will be using a local sim over there. I will discontinue from tmobile when I leave the US

I know nothing of rooting. This is my first smartphone, so if possible I would be hesitant of doing any updates via the computer that requires me to loose all my info. I have too many apps and saved games and settings to download again so its just a scary thought of loosing it all.

4. Will google navigation work overseas. I have heard people say yes and no. I am hesitant to buy apps like co-pilot as they cost a lot and have mixed reviews, so I wanted to find out about this.

Any help would be appreciated

I will attempt to answer two of your questions.

2. I have seen an app to unlock the Vibrant. It is by DaGentooBoy from XDA. Its called Samsung Galxy S Unlock. Would it be better for me to use this app or to just request T-Mobile to give me the unlock code. Are there any pros or cons for using either method.

The app will work fine.

3. If the OTA update or Froyo don't come out before I am gone, will I be able to get an OTA over wifi while I am in South Africa. Just to clarify, I will be using a local sim over there. I will discontinue from tmobile when I leave the US

I'm not entirely sure but I believe the update has to be pushed out from tmobile, so I'm going to go ahead and say that you will not be able to get the update.

Upvote 0

Just get the unlock code from T-Mobile, if you have been with them at least 40 days, they give it to you. They are super fast with the Vibrant, they are having a 24hr turn around time for providing you the code via email. If worse comes to worse, it will take 14 days. Then you can compare this code to the one via the app by DaGentooBoy, maybe it's the same code, but just put in your request with T-Mobile, you will have it within 24hrs most likely.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I may be leaving the USA soon. I plan on unlocking my phone and going out of the country with it. I don't know how long I may be gone.......maybe years, so here are a few questions.

1. I plan on going South Africa. According to this site, both the phone and 3g should work perfectly right?

using a local sim over there. I will discontinue from tmobile when I leave the US
I have not taken my Vibrant out of the country, but I did take my T Mo Blackberry out of the country frequently and specifically to South Africa. Everything worked well, so I expect the Vibrant will too. Good thing you are using a local sim, roaming is really expensive there.

Upvote 0
well, I am going to give it a go, I will let you guys know if it works or not. wish me luck!

well got my battery up to 85 and its still saying I dont have enuff charge, I guess I will let it fully charge.. should be about half an hour or so..

I am just really happy this is the GPS fix, no more messing around with it.. I will be sure to test it right away and update..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones