Samsung Vibrant unable to download Apps from MarketSupport

Last Updated:

1. MoeVibrant

MoeVibrant Member This Topic's Starter

All,

I bought a used Samsung Vibrant yesterday with Android OS on it. My carrier is T-mobile and using T-Zones as my data plan.

I am having a hard time downloading apps in the Market app using WiFi. My google email address in the phone is listed as gmail.com and I am also receiving emails on my phone.

However when I go to Market app to dload and and install apps, it just gets stuck on the Starting Download. I don't know whats the problem? I've read other forums and I don't know what to do first.

Please help me out if there is a possible solution to this, because I am new to using the Android OS. Thanks!

Moe

Advertisement
  2. ciara_belle

ciara_belle New Member

i have the same issue - i can only download on data plan.. wifi just sticks at 'starting download'
    also i cannot login to google talk from wi fi - just data plan...
    which is extremely slow (we have only g here).

i even tested by having the downloads finally running (on data) and switching on wi-fi - bam it paused them all...

not fun.. any ideas?

i have seen bandied about about various ports that may need to be open on your router - but nothing from google themselves helping for this.

(i don't use google talk - was just seeing it was ts step in connection to google/market).

very frustrating
    android 2.1/1
    vibrant.
    fresh install

3. MoeVibrant

Hey Ciara_Belle,

I actually fixed my issue, and I'll do my best to help you out.

First off, check and see if you can download your market apps from other Open WiFi connections. I notice several times that other open WiFi connections i.e. cafes, bowling alleys, etc will download my market apps immediately. Hence, I knew it was my router at home which was causing the issue.

Also download this app called WiFi Analyzer on your Android. It analyzes all the WiFi parameters of the nearby WiFi connections. I used the WiFi analyzer app and it suggested which channels from my router are the best for radiating the WiFi signal. I had to manually go into my router settings and make the router channel changes and also the security encryption. Took me an hour or two.

Walla...life's been dandy since then! I've had no problems. I hope it helps!

I havent tried Google Talk on my Vibrant.

Moe

4. preali

preali New Member

I have a similar but different situation. I have a galaxy vibrant with t-mobile and have been able to download several apps earlier in the week. Today I wanted to download a clock app and it goes through all the motions of downloading and says downloading complete and in the applications management menu it shows the application but its size is 0 bytes. I have tried this with Wifi and cell link and both act the same. It appears that it happens with several different apps so the app is not to blame. As far as changing the Wifi settings, these work for everything else: webb, email etc only the downloads. Further I downloaded several apps over the previous days: Barcode scanner, lookout security, 3 different large scientific calculators(droid48, Realcalc, Andy86),Zedge, The weather channel, and all worked flawlessly. I removed the battery to do a hard reset, but nothing makes any difference. It makes me think that the problem may be in the servers at t-mobile but I'm open to any ideas or people who have experienced this problem before.
    ...Updated: One further piece of information, I have been running froyo or android 2.2 with no problems for more than a week so it has the latest software...I did some more experiments and while several apps behave as described a couple actually worked. I tried playing with the router ports and added 5222 to 5223 but it didn't make any difference. Worked: [juicedefender battery saver 712Kb,] Failed:[apk installer, fancy widget, analog clock widget]...
    ...After a couple more tries I was able to install Fancy Widgets... I apologize for this post, it appears that you have to try several times to get the downloads to work...The only utility of this post is to say that "if at first, second or third you don't succeed, try try again...it doesn't appear to have to do with 3G reception or WiFi the same erratic behavior occurs. I am a neewbie to smart phones and I guess I wasn't expecting this because the first few days it worked like a charm, then I had a long dry spell of not being able to download...all very strange : > o)

5. preali

preali New Member

One further piece of information, I have been running froyo or android 2.2 with no problems for more than a week so it has the latest software...

6. ciara_belle

ciara_belle New Member

Thanks for your kind reply Moe.

I have found that i have to reboot the phone several times before wi-fi w/ market works -- i have already opened the port on the router that i found in other discussions (5222).... for example i just managed to dl a new free app (google books) w/ no issues on wi-fi -- but many times if it's a paid app its pretty much impossible to dl over wi-fi.

i just finally updated to 2.2 (took Fourteen tries and Two phones!)... and had to do about 20 updates -- i finally gave up - started them and put the phone in the window for the best single. on edge - it took two days to dl them (thank goodness for unlimited plan).

i will try that app you suggest - thanks again :)

ciara

7. MoeVibrant

Hello preali,

I really don't know what to say in your situation, but I have the 0 byte issue i had was due to bad apps. Try uninstalling the most recent app you downloaded, and check to see if everything works fine. I still havent understood the whole interfacing issue with various apps working on one platform, which are developed by multiple developers. A lot of interference can occur that way...but thats just my 2 cents.

I have also been running firmware 2.2, and i havent had any problems dloading any apps. Just yday I dloaded and installed an app.

All this software nonsense makes my brain splatter, cause I am a hardware engineer. UGGH

Moe

8. preali

preali New Member

Hello Moe,
    I will try and see if some other apps work today. Everything else on the phone works and the apps were all downloading fine until yesterday. Good to see another hardware person on the board. I am retired now but was a hardware engineer for many years worked in telecommunication and networking. I currently live in silicon valley but am planning on moving out of state to reduce costs in my retirement. I try to keep up with the technology as it changes so fast. I am fascinated by the coolness of the barcode reader and all the other stuff on the t-mobile Samsung Galaxy S vibrant. I will let people know how I progress.

9. preali

preali New Member

..Updated: One further piece of information, I have been running froyo or android 2.2 with no problems for more than a week so it has the latest software...I did some more experiments and while several apps behave as described a couple actually worked. I tried playing with the router ports and added 5222 to 5223 but it didn't make any difference. Worked: [juicedefender battery saver 712Kb,] Failed:[apk installer, fancy widget, analog clock widget]...
    ...After a couple more tries I was able to install Fancy Widgets... I apologize for this post, it appears that you have to try several times to get the downloads to work...The only utility of this post is to say that "if at first, second or third you don't succeed, try try again...it doesn't appear to have to do with 3G reception or WiFi the same erratic behavior occurs. I am a neewbie to smart phones and I guess I wasn't expecting this because the first few days it worked like a charm, then I had a long dry spell of not being able to download...all very strange : > o)

10. dattack

dattack Well-Known Member

Could it be a problem with the market itself?

11. lagoa

lagoa New Member

I have a samsung galaxy vibrant using kies for downloads & connecting to my laptop. I downloaded from the internet a pay-for dictionary in portuguese and english to my laptop, then dragged the file into my phone. Now every time I want to use the dictionary, it says.... Replace application... thie application you are installing will replace another application. All previous user data will be saved. I click ok and then it says, do you want to install this application? And I have to install the application every time I want to use the dictionary. That is ridiculous. What can I do to access this dictionary file without having to install it each time? Grrrrr
    Lagoa... 25 October 2011