• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung vs HTC in quality

I would never buy another Samsung phone after the lack of support for the Galaxy S. I'm not so bothered about the delays to the Froyo update as such, more with the fact that there were/are massive bugs with the original Galaxy S firmware that Samsung completely failed to acknowledge / apologise for.

no phone will give support for very long. The only support that is long lasting is from the community. Since Android has such a huge community, and even galaxy itself has a large following, I was never too concerned about software support. I chose galaxy S because it had the best hardware (minus the GPS which might be hardware or software issue).

Upvote 0
I think I understand when people question the 'build quality' of a device like the SGS. I know to some it seems like an odd concept that a device has to have some 'heft' to it...but it just seems to be the nature of things when it comes to devices like mobile phones. I did a lot of pondering and research before finally deciding on the SGS as my choice. After getting my hands on one I checked out the hardware very closely and found no issues at all. The form and fit (build quality) were both excellent.
Within a few days I also noticed that the device felt extremely light...almost too light....and...since I live in a humid climate I noticed that it was often just too slippery in my hand. My solution was a black silicone rubber case that adds just enough to the size and feel of my SGS that now...it just feels 'right'.
So, weight in-itself does not determine the level of quality of a device,...but it seems that it must 'feel right' to the owner.
Adding the non-slip silicone case worked for me. It didn't add any 'heft' (weight)...but it did add to the proper 'feel'.
As for the GPS problem, the KIES (crap) program, and the extremely slow roll-out of the Froyo (2.2) firmware update.......all of that should have and could have been handled MUCH better by Samsung. These three issues alone have caused many SGS owners far to much frustration and grief. And,...either Samsung really isn't interested in dealing with these issues in a timely and satisfying manner....OR....they've got a piss poor Public Relations department.
So, yes,...as some have mentioned it would seem that Sammy has an image problem but I still love my SGS.
I confess,....the 4" Super Amoled display got me..it's awesome.

Upvote 0
i would like to say samsung is the world's best producer in hardware... and i would like to remind you all that taiwan (htc) is the best producer in softwares and computer parts. However hardware that koreans develop will always be one step above taiwanese.

here are some facts:
iphone 4 's screen -> from samsung
samsung = 1st in hardware, mobilephone, TV
LG = worlds best screen producer and it is used in samsung mobile phones.

however htc is only known for htc sense and its built quality...

google decided to give samsung a chance to produce nexus fone because they werent happy with nexus one's multi touch other little things, and samsung has nearly perfected those mistakes.

i would have to go with samsung but i still like htc even though battery life is really bad

facts:

1. samsung
2. nokia
3. LG
4. Apple
5. Motorola
6. Sony Ericsson
7. Blackberry
8. Alcatel
9. Sharp
10. Siemens
11. INQ
and so on...

Upvote 0
Samsung gets marked down because they use plastic, which itself is a bit silly. I've never had a problem with the build quality, I also remember drop tests with the phone after release and it held together very well, more than most phones will be able to handle, the fact it's very light probably helped.

So I think it's all nonsense to be honest, people obviously have their own preferences to but that's all it is at the end of day.

People seem to forget about the OLED screen and great hardware actually in the phone, the Galaxy S is still a fast phone and I would take one over the the latest HTC offerings even now, excluding Sensation of course because it's not available yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones