• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung why??

Hey hey guys!

I finally received the marshmallow update and what I've noticed was that the fingerprint scanner runs a little bit faster then previously. When it comes to battery life I think they improved because the wast of battery while watching a video is lower. That was my first day with the update, by the way I am talking about my product which is S6 Edge.

Have a good day!

Upvote 0
Hey hey guys!

I finally received the marshmallow update and what I've noticed was that the fingerprint scanner runs a little bit faster then previously. When it comes to battery life I think they improved because the wast of battery while watching a video is lower. That was my first day with the update, by the way I am talking about my product which is S6 Edge.

Have a good day!
What carrier?

Upvote 0
If Samsung has an available firmware for the update why not just use Odin to flash it versus waiting? And even if Samsung has not posted the firmware does not mean a number of sites dedicated to their devices has not gotten a firmware available. My J3 has an available firmware but none of the carriers share it nor does Sammy. I had to get it from an indy site. But point being....its probably out there. And on another unrelated thing for me...cant wait to ditch Dimdung altogether. They thwart at every turn concerning development by communities like ours. That is a major negative for me. Everything from changing png to qmg to trip wired kernels and recoveries. Glad HTC at least loosened their stance on the matter.

Upvote 0
If Samsung has an available firmware for the update why not just use Odin to flash it versus waiting? And even if Samsung has not posted the firmware does not mean a number of sites dedicated to their devices has not gotten a firmware available. My J3 has an available firmware but none of the carriers share it nor does Sammy. I had to get it from an indy site. But point being....its probably out there. And on another unrelated thing for me...cant wait to ditch Dimdung altogether. They thwart at every turn concerning development by communities like ours. That is a major negative for me. Everything from changing png to qmg to trip wired kernels and recoveries. Glad HTC at least loosened their stance on the matter.

Because not all phones being created equal, with regional differences. Flashing an update to your phone via Odin that is not made for it exactly could cause problems, even bricking it. Take for example the fact that the North American S3 was updated to Kitkat, but the international one left at Jellybean. Flashing the NAS3 update would brick the intS3. Although yes you could do research on it to make sure you are installing a compatible firmware and do it, remember that this would void your warranty. Not many people would like voiding warranties. One look at the OS version would have the technician know you flashed and would blame everything on it an report warranty voiding.

I fail to see however how you say Samsung thwarts communities. Their phones have often the most lively development, with the S3 and at XDA still alive with continuous development, much more than other brands.

Upvote 0
I fail to see however how you say Samsung thwarts communities. Their phones have often the most lively development, with the S3 and at XDA still alive with continuous development, much more than other brands.

The S3 is an older device and I'd say it's more down to to the communities themselves than Samsung.

The US version of the S7 & S7 Edge are uncrackable (apparently) and Samsung are probably the only major OEM not to offer any form of official bootloader unlock.

As far as I know, they're pretty poor at releasing source and documentation for their SoC's too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curtis1973
Upvote 0
The S3 is an older device and I'd say it's more down to to the communities themselves than Samsung.

The US version of the S7 & S7 Edge are uncrackable (apparently) and Samsung are probably the only major OEM not to offer any form of official bootloader unlock.

As far as I know, they're pretty poor at releasing source and documentation for their SoC's too.

Yeah and their themes store is awful considering it's supposed to be geared for an international audience including the U.S.

The themes appear to be made by children. Fluffy critter themes galore. A literal cornucopia of candy canes and lollipops. Has an "we are trying to be artists" feel to it and their not doing it right. At least for this region....unless you are a 12 year old little girl.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
This was posted in a reader aggregation site, sounds like the exact reason:

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-its-high-time-you-flexed-your-muscles-american-carriers

It is right on track. I've been with TMO for over 8 years. I've used non-American phones that met most of the criteria for use. I don't have wifi talk, but have had phones with it and never used it.
TMO knows I root to get rid of bloat, and they know I experiment with other GSM phones. They have never said a word.
The last was the Oppo, and if Oppo gets the bands straight, I'll buy another. I liked Color OS.

I looked at the other carriers and they mostly had a "we know best" attitude about your phone. I remember Verizon getting upset about ringtones I had put on a flip phone years ago via BitPim. I just assigned tones to who I wanted to talk to, and ignored everyone else. 3 reps managed to tell me I was supposed to answer the phone! Regardless! I also discovered missed calls, and never bothered to check VM. They were sarcastic about that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones