Sat Nav

Last Updated:

1. casarosa

casarosa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone please tell me why my GPS does not seem to work am sure I did not need a WiFi connection a small sat symbol used to appear and it picked up the satellites then was able to view my location on Google maps now it does not seem to work am I missing something have the latest software 2.2 etc
    Regards

Advertisement
  2. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

menu>settings>Location> tick on Use GPS sattelites

3. casarosa

I tried that stood outside but it still does not pick up any sats

4. Hippotech

Hippotech Well-Known Member

Could be that you don't have enough satellites visible to get a fix - you need at least 4 or 5.

Try installing 'GPS Test' it will give you more detail.

Hippo

5. casarosa

Thank you for your help don't use the satnav that much only sometimes when walking the dogs not tried it since downloading 2.2

6. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

even if it cannot find satalites it should still do a blinking dish when in a program that requires it

7. casarosa

Downloaded GPS test it said you have 9 sats still no flashing icon on the status bar at the top when I click on Google maps (which is installed) it just says downloading and does nothing something a miss somewhere?

8. Rastaman-FB

you might need to hard reset that, something seems wrong there mate

9. casarosa

I discovered that Google maps must have had a bug somewhere so uninstalled then reinstalled seems OK now but do you need a WiFi connection at the same time to use the satnav am sure you don't the sat should pick up your location auto am I write
    Thanks to everyone for your assistance somethings just drive you nuts at times

10. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

You need a data connection - either wifi or 2/3G. When you run it after installing/updating you have to have a data connection before it will do anything. After that it'll use the last cached map at startup (I think).

11. Rastaman-FB

no you dont, although it can take a little longer to get a lock on if "use wireless networks" is not chacked

12. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

Where does it get the maps from then ?

13. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

That's correct, for part of it.

For Google Maps, it will cache a few pages and reload them if you're in the same location. But if you're moving or in a different area, then you MUST have a data connection to load fresh maps of the area.

For Google Navigation, you MUST have some sort of data connection in order to download the initial routing from Googles servers. The map data is stored on the SD card for Navigation, so it loads the maps from there once it has found the routing. But without data when it first tries to map a route, it will fail to load and a small popup informs you that there is no data connection. It will retry until you exit the app. If you go off-route for a gas stop or similar, it will try to re-route your trip and again it MUST have a data connection for the new routing.