Save emails to SDCard, along with attachmentsSupport

Last Updated:

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Active Member This Topic's Starter

Like I did on my Blackberry Curve, I want to save some emails, as well as their attachments, to a folder in the SDCard. I've learned to save email attachments, but not the email itself. I have OI File Manager.

There must be a way I've yet to discover.

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

woodbutcher likes this.
  3. woodbutcher

Saving an attachment is easy. For instance, I open a .pdf attachment, open the menu, click on "File," then "Save As," then name the attachment, and Save. To open it, I goto OI File Manager and open the file.

But I also want to save the email itself, and I want to do these things with both incoming mail as well as sent items.

If this isn't possible now or when V 2.1 comes out then this problem and the non-handsfree calling problem will certainly cause me to return the Android and go back to another new Blackberry.

4. nstallion

Is this webmail or pop3/imap? If it's web mail you might be able to configure it to be downloaded as pop3 and use a proper email client. I'm sure you could find one on the marketplace that saves to the SD card.

5. woodbutcher

This is business email from my Exchange server that is, in effect, from Outlook Online. So it's like pop3 mil.

I've spent hours searching for an app that'd let me easily save it. If I could do this on my Blackberry Curve 9330 a week ago, then tell me, if you can, why in h*ll can't Google do it on the Android OS? Why must I buy an app for this and then another app for that, when this and that is done for free and comes on every other OS.

6. nstallion

That's a tough one to give a straight answer for. RIM has honed in on the needs of business people. Android is more a consumer cell phone OS. It comes pretty bare bones but it's open source and that's the way they want it.

I do agree that it should be a simple built in function to back up email onto your SD card. I think google has an alterior motive in the case of GMail though because they want you to keep all your emails on their server in their giant consumer data mine.

I never use any exchange server stuff with my Droid. I hope someone else can give you a more helpful answer.

Also you don't necessarily need to buy anything. Tons of good apps for Android are free. In fact I'd say most are free.