Save maps for use out of 3g area.

Last Updated:

1. kbaxreno

kbaxreno Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to save or cache maps and sat pics of an area that is out of network coverage while I am getting coverage so that when I get to the far away place I have map data?
    Yesterday I was exploring a dirt road that I had previewed with the map application. When I got near my destination, I turned on the phone to see where I was and there was no image. Thanks.

Ken

Advertisement
  2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Hmm.. I like this idea. Anyone know?

3. DarkTLRrider

DarkTLRrider Well-Known Member

Rmaps claims to do this also use the search function as there are several threads discussing this.

4. IOWA

I'm up and down this forum constantly. and there aren't any obvious postings... so chill out.

5. kbaxreno

I searched and found similar posts, and one that was almost identical that was not answered. I will check on the suggested program.
    Thanks

6. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

You'd really need to find a GPS nav app that stores maps locally on the device.

I think I recently saw someone mention an app (on another site) that seemed to cache map data if you hit specific areas at the zoom levels you needed. I don't recall the name and will need to do some digging.

Results from a quick search. I haven't really checked these threads thoroughly and there are certainly plenty more threads to look at:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/77195-navigation-without-internet.html
    http://androidforums.com/android-applications/72867-navigation-android.html
    http://androidforums.com/android-applications/2149-caching-google-maps-use-offline.html
    http://androidforums.com/android-applications/68140-any-off-line-maps.html

Most seem to offer the same suggestions. I seem to recall MapDroyd and OruxMaps after some additional pondering. No experience with either. I'm not off the network enough to make pre-loading (what some solutions require) worth the hassle IMO.

I don't recall when this thread was last updated but I was going to suggest it as a starting point. Locally stored maps should be a bullet point for any app that offers such a feature:
    http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ps-thread-all-gps-available-android-here.html

Looks like it hasn't been touched for a couple of months now.

kbaxreno likes this.
  7. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting article that says that Google downloads the entire route at the beginning of the trip.

kbaxreno likes this.
  8. IOWA

But no real positive reviews eh? It would also help if threads were properly titled. A "help with maps" thread would earn my disregard if I was looking for the solution to this problem.

9. kbaxreno

Thanks for the input. I am still checking this out. I downloaded a program called MapDroyd True offline maps for your Android - unplugged ! | MapDroyd that uses the open street map maps. OpenStreetMap
    no sat pics, but maps like on standard gps. you can download any area of the world you want. I grabbed California, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado and the size was about 20MB to the SD card. I haven't really put it to the test yet, but I did check if it works and it seemed ok.
    kbaxreno

10. teddyearp

teddyearp Well-Known Member

Hi all, first post at this site. I do go off network a bit and am planning to do alot of it here in a couple weeks in the forests of Idaho.

I have OruxMaps and it seems to work really good for me for now, but I'm glad to see some interest in this topic so I can look to other solutions as well. The dev of Orux is really nice and helpful, especially for a free app. He's even done some great updates to it lately, adding plenty of online maps and other features as well.

I've got a write up at my site below for how to set it up and use it.

11. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

12. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post and link. This is what I was looking for and the program works great. Download about 6 states for a total of 176MB on the SD card. As you mentioned, only a street map nothing more but it's free and does not require a connection. Very nice program.

13. fabler

fabler Well-Known Member

I've used mapDroyd. It has no drive to / navigation option.