• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Save my photos and videos to external SD card?

lotus49

Android Expert
May 9, 2011
Yorkshire
How do I save my photos and videos (ie the ones I have taken) to external SD card by default?

There is an option to save to internal memory or SD card but this refers to the (stupidly and confusingly named) internal SD card (that isn't an SD card) not the real one.

I thought I had seen this question asked before but a search failed to turn up anything relevant.

oops, I jumped the gun and did not read you want it for the ones you've already taken.
Perhaps I didn't word it very well.

When I said "the ones I have taken" I meant to distinguish between photos I take myself and ones I download.

What I should have asked is how to change the default storage location for photographs and videos.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I didn't word it very well.

When I said "the ones I have taken" I meant to distinguish between photos I take myself and ones I download.

What I should have asked is how to change the default storage location for photographs and videos.

Not possible with stock apps. If I'm not wrong, ES File Explorer allows to change the default download folder. But I'm not 100% sure whether it requires root.

Upvote 0
Open camera.

Hit the menu key.

Click on settings.
Click on the tools tab (far right).
Change storage to memory card.

For photos you download, you can also specify the memory card, at least in the browser (not sure about chrome).

Open browser.

Hit menu.
Click on settings.
Click on "content settings"
Click on "Default storage"

Upvote 0
Sure you can have them save automatically to the external memory card. Camera>settings>Save to> and you will get a screen letting you know that pictures will be autosaved to external memory card. Here is a video. How to Save Photographs to Micro SD Card on Samsung Galaxy S4 IV - YouTube

Thanks for the link, m3incorp!
Tho he was asking about changing default location of "downloaded" content.
It's just that his phrasing wasn't very clear :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones