save txt messages

Last Updated:

1. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know in Handcent you can Lock a message but is there any way to file them so they aren't in my inbox?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

There are apps for rooted phones to save all of your data, but I have yet to confirm that they work. Did you look in the Market for backup apps?

3. SinfulDragon

Yeah I was looking at some of the backup items but I wasn't really wanting a full backup, just wanted to kinda run it like email, you know just log funny or heaven forbit important txts away in a folder, just something to keep me from scrolling through them due to being lazy ;)

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Gotcha. That would be cool, to have subfolders where you could store txts in a folder for each contact.

5. SinfulDragon

Well I see there are a couple apps in the market that can do a backup of your txts and save them on your SD Card, that just seems a little out of the way. For now I'll just keep certain ones locked so I don't delete on accident and hope that as the OS Grows they throw me personally a bone by adding the saved messages folder.

Don't worry, I'll make sure they give you guys this option too ;)

6. laider11

laider11 Member

May not be exactly what you want but I long press the message and copy and paste it into my note pad.

7. SinfulDragon

I just tried that and added to Astrid, pretty good idea!!!! Now if only it could copy and paste all the good pictures my friends send me......

Anyway, thanks for the idea, my inbox is about to be much cleaner!!

8. laider11

laider11 Member

Again, maybe not perfect but if you long press on the pic in a mms you get an option to save it to your sd card. I use this too until I find a better solution.

9. SinfulDragon

I actually do use that for the MMS, but it never clicked in my head to just make a memo of the important txts and ya know what, my wife will love you because I set a timer on it for 2 minutes after I get off work so that I will actually remember to go to the store for her LOL.

10. laider11

laider11 Member

Great idea...maybe I can get some points with my wife if I do the same

11. billtvshow

billtvshow Member

I have an app called G Backup Full (Full Version = $) that can backup SMS, MMS, Call Log, Images, and Videos as archived gmails with custom labels, i.e. Droid SMS, Droid MMS, etc. I have it set to backup SMS, MMS, and Call Log automatically and it usually is pretty quick (within a minute or so). This way I know everything is backed up all the time and can clear out my messaging inbox with confidence when I need to. I also have an app doing (redundant) nightly backups of the same stuff to the SD card (Although it does back up some different things, i.e. general settings, home screen layout, etc). That one is MyBackup Pro (again Pro version = $). Anyways, G Backup has quickly become one of my favorite apps and I have yet to have any trouble with it aside from it freezing occasionally when doing the first backup of my messages, but to be fair there were several thousand, lol.

12. laider11

laider11 Member

I'll check it out but for me, I dont want to back up all my messages, just some. I guess you could lock the ones you want to keep, delete rest of the thread then back up to save those. Would that work?

13. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

I use SMS Backup & Restore by Ritesh Sahu. I've used it to back up all my text messages (5000+) to my SD card and then restore them after doing a full wipe. I've backed up and restored 3 times it's worked every time. I'm not sure if you can actually access the backup file and read through it, I've never tried. But you can back it up then wipe your text messages I guess. Though I'm not sure if restoring the backup would delete your current messages. I have not tested this.

14. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

Do you have a Google Voice account?

I believe Google Voice stores all your text messages.

I use wave secure to backup all my data. I really wish I could set it to backup everyday though and not have to do it manually.

15. itsaddison

itsaddison Active Member

Yes, Google Voice will save your messages. But I prefer to use my Verizon texting through Handcent because the interface is so much nicer. The Google Voice inbox looks so cluttered to me, and it's definitely not as fun to use. Unless there's some way to have GV operate through handcent, I don't think it's a very good solution yet.

16. mmiller2002

mmiller2002 Well-Known Member

It just seems like such a simple, basic thing (that every other phone type has) to be able to save text messages into a "saved" folder. How could this not be a basic android messaging option?

17. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

everyone message the DEV of handcent, this idea it may just get added in..

18. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Well-Known Member

I got SMS Backup the day I got my phone. It backs up your text messages to your GMail account with a label. You can have it automatically backup every time you get a text or you can manually do it. It has come in handy numerous times when I need to refer back to a message when I am at work. All I need to do is log in to my mail account and pull up that label.