• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root saved data question

I've been running a 2.1 rom and was wondering if i could somehow save particular app data, like per say what i want, which is savegame data. how would i go about backing up just that? so when i wipe/flash i can just put the game with its savedata without having to back up my whole /data folder.

Klandenstein, I needed to install Ultimate Droid v5 on my phone and then I saw your post so I figured I could do two things at once. I too was seeking the same kind of backup capability as I have been using MyBackup Pro to back up my apps.

Titanium backup allows you to backup individual apps and data.

I had heard this but had yet to try it...so here's what I found from a little testing...

***Set up***
- Installed Ultimate Droid v5 ROM (stock)
- Installed all of my applications (Pandora, SetCPU, etc.)
- Set up my applications (signed into Pandora, configured profiles in SetCPU, etc.)
- Configured my POP email accounts
- Set my screen icons and widgets up the way I like to have them for 7 screen configuration (got everything situated like my color of the battery life widget, etc.)
- Renamed and moved the facebook app so I could skin it in metamorph
- I played a game of Home Run Battle so I had a "high score" listed
- Set Ringtones, volume levels, etc.
-I'm sure there was more but bottom line...I was all configured and set-up with my new ROM and it took about 1 hour.

***Testing***
- Downloaded the free version of Titanium Backup from the market
- Made a backup with Titanium (selected Batch backup of "all user apps + system data")
- Powered down my phone and then entered recovery
- Made a nandroid backup (in case Titanium failed to restore everything
- Reflashed the stock version of Ultimate Droid v5
- Once flashed, I rebooted the phone (no icons, widgets, etc. were showing and none of my apps were loaded)
- Downloaded the free version of Titanium Backup again
- Performed a restore of all user apps + data with Titanium Backup (had to step though the installation of all user apps but all settings restored automatically through this process)
- I was not prompted to reboot and as no icons or widgets were populated...I rebooted the phone

***Findings***
- When phone rebooted, I had all shortcuts where I had placed them before my initial backup.
- Widgets were all in correct places but all of them were mere placeholders. They all had to be deleted and then I had to set up all widgets manually.
- When some widgets were added, like the Battery Life widget, The red color of the battery widget returned as a red widget
- POP email accounts were configured correctly! :D
- Most if not all apps that required root, asked for root again upon first use.
- I was not signed into Pandora after the restore...not a big deal, just noteworthy
- Ringtones and volume (media volume for example) were corrected to my presets that I had specified previously
- Opened 'Home Run Battle' and verified that my high score was showing...it was :)

***Issues***
-Only issue I had was with Facebook. I'm sure this is due to the fact that I changed/moved the original Facebook app. I could not re-install facebook from the market cause it said it was already installed. I performed a search but I could not find the .apk file anywhere. I have not explored this any further but I'm sure it can be resolved easily.

Total time to restore to this point - approx 15 min

Hope that helps! :)

-

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones