• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Saved Drowning Boy, Killed my Phone

I have a pool in my backyard and I make sure when I have ppl with kids over I know who can/cannot swim and who is allowed to swim. Parents sometimes get wrapped up in mingling and forget all about their kids. There should have been a designated adult present with the children who were swimming to supervise everyone. Just think if you had not have noticed the child sink to the bottom when you did. Hope Karma pays you back!

Upvote 0
Wow, thats cool man! Good deeds always get rewarded by karma. Perhaps a local news site or paper can run the story. VZW might be more willing to chip in if they know they will be getting good advertising. It wouldn't hurt to try. GM just did something similar with a lady who gave birth while driving one of their cars, and they gave a corvete to that pitcher that lost his entry to the hall of fame by a bad call. Its cheaper getting publicity that way than plain ol advertising.

Upvote 0
Anyway, I informed the family of the boy who almost drown, and they are willing to cover the cost of a new phone (though I don't believe they know how much it's going to cost them - that's the next call).

- Darin
Nice! Psst, it's an expensive phone, but if it was my kid, I would have no problem putting down that money. I hope you get the phone, good luck!

Reactions: Darin
Upvote 0
So anyway, at the recommendation of several users, I decided to set up a donate button on paypal. I'm not sure if it will pay for a new phone, but any little bit will help.

I figure any bit that I get I'll just subtract from the retail price of the incredible and the parents will only be liable for the balance.

Verizon just informed me that the Incredible is on backorder until late this month.

Anywho... here it is. I've never done this before (a donate button through paypal), so if anyone sees something wrong with it, let me know.

Thanks,
- Darin

EDIT: Nevermind, I can't get the form to post on the forum. I guess I won't worry about it.

Upvote 0
Well I'm not lying. I can take a picture, though I'm not sure how that proves anything, let alone the incident.

- Darin

Ignore the troll or this person's failed attempt at humor.

Having a BS in Computer Science you should have a few tools laying around to pry that bad boy apart.

What you did was awesome, and it would certainly be ++awesome if the parents replaced said phone. However, if in the midst of realizing how costly it is and they say "Sorry.." rip that bastard apart ( the phone ) and take some alcohol swabs to it..

Honestly though, if you've ran power through it several times and it seems to just be the display not working.. could be SOL and have already shorted the screen out.

Buddy of mine spilled a corona on his laptop and gave it to me to fix.. I tore it apart, cleaned & dried every nook and cranny of the board and some how it came back to life.. but I made sure not to try to turn it on until I was positive I did everything possible to get rid of the moisture..

Hell the screen could just have some moisture stuck in it cause it to short, but as long as it isn't fried you may still get in there to take care of it.. and awesome thought on the rice but sealed compartments can make it difficult..

I've got $5 for ya if it comes down to it..

Reactions: benso87 and Darin
Upvote 0
Another option would be to contact the Vzw PR dept. I have a contact. In fact, she turned out to be the person who wrote the press release regarding the reality and debut of the Inc. Please let me know if you want to try that route.

Steven

EDIT: I took it upon myself to write her a letter and send her the link.

Reactions: Darin
Upvote 0
Lol. Kind of true if you think about it because i would not be giving my money to a person who I don't have any proof if he really ruined his phone for saving a little boy. No offence.

Agreed. I'm happy to contribute if you provide some evidence this actually all went down as you claim. Hard to prove, indeed, but if you can find a way, I'm all eyes.

Upvote 0
Lol. Kind of true if you think about it because i would not be giving my money to a person who I don't have any proof if he really ruined his phone for saving a little boy. No offence.

Yep... I don't know what to say. I just setup the paypal link at the request of a couple of people... it wasn't my idea.

If I get anything great, that will help the parents and myself out (being that I still have to pay Verizon for the month or so that I won't have a phone). If I don't get anything, that's not a big deal either... the parents will just have to front all the money.

Oh well, we'll see.

- Darin

Upvote 0
Let me know what type of evidence you want? Like I said, I can take a picture, but what does that prove. Unfortunately no one had a video camera rolling at the party, that would have been the best evidence.

The rep. that I'm dealing with at Verizon is Rochelle, and her super is Kristen.

Should I just remove the paypal links... I don't want this to be about money. Geez.

- Darin

Upvote 0
I think the biggest concern is that are new and that all of your posts are in this thread. Do you have a picture of your water-logged phone or anything?

You've got to understand that there are a LOT of spammers that will try anything for a quick buck.

I'm not saying you didn't save a kid or anything, but I'm sure you can understand the concern.

Upvote 0
I think the biggest concern is that are new and that all of your posts are in this thread. Do you have a picture of your water-logged phone or anything?

You've got to understand that there are a LOT of spammers that will try anything for a quick buck.

I'm not saying you didn't save a kid or anything, but I'm sure you can understand the concern.

Exactly what he said!

Could we see a picture of the water damage indicator?

Upvote 0
Let me know what type of evidence you want? Like I said, I can take a picture, but what does that prove. Unfortunately no one had a video camera rolling at the party, that would have been the best evidence.

The rep. that I'm dealing with at Verizon is Rochelle, and her super is Kristen.

Should I just remove the paypal links... I don't want this to be about money. Geez.

- Darin

Yeah, it's a bit unfair to you since you did not in fact suggest the donation idea. That said, it's not hard to imagine the responses you'd get with a story like yours. It is touching, if true.

Do you perhaps have a picture of the invitation to the party with the water-logged phone?

Any email(s) with the parents (blocking out private info)?

Not sure what else really, but I also don't think people should have to contribute to lessen the financial obligation of the parents of the kid you allegedly saved. I'm happy to help reduce your financial stress if in fact this is a true story, but I see no reason why I should help lessen the financial responsibility of parents who had someone jump in a pool to save their child.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones