• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Saved Drowning Boy, Killed my Phone

Same thing almost happened too me this weekend. I was at a friends house, kids were swimming, I was nervous all day cause of my 3 yo.so I was mentally prepared to empty my pockets and jump in
Well my kids were out of the pool. Me and the guys are hanging in the deck and I looked down and my friends kid is on her tippy toes spitting and spattering. I run down, dump my pockets am about to jump in and her dad was already in there and grabbed her. Close call but she was fine

I know I keep replaying it in my head and asking myself, "Why couldn't I have just thought about what was in my pockets first?" It sucks, but the alternative would have been worse.

If he was at the edge of the pool it wouldn't have been a problem, I could have just reached down and plucked him up, but he was in the center of the pool. Maybe I should have grabbed the pool net (just kidding).

- Darin

Upvote 0
Same thing almost happened too me this weekend. I was at a friends house, kids were swimming, I was nervous all day cause of my 3 yo.so I was mentally prepared to empty my pockets and jump in
Well my kids were out of the pool. Me and the guys are hanging in the deck and I looked down and my friends kid is on her tippy toes spitting and spattering. I run down, dump my pockets am about to jump in and her dad was already in there and grabbed her. Close call but she was fine
Wow, you mean you would have lost your Incredible? ;)

Upvote 0
has the phone been active for more then a month? if not, you can try adding the insurance now then try a claim in a few days.

Yeah, the Verizon rep. informed me that if this had happened within the first 30 days, then I'd actually have a leg to stand on, but being that it's been 39 days that there's nothing really that they can do to replace the Incredible... I guess 9 days is 9 days.

Thanks to those who sent some moola' this way, up to $20 so far. I might actually learn two or three lessons from this whole experience.

- Darin

Upvote 0
Darin,

You are to be commended and what you have done far outweighs any material things lost.

When I was a young kid in Michigan, I fell off of a navigational pier into a shipping channel which emptied out into Lake Michigan. I was drowning, and a total stranger dove in and saved me. Had he not done this I am sure I would have died.

I remember this selfless act like it was yesterday, just as I sure the child you saved will remember you.

Dave

Upvote 0
About thirty years ago I was living next door to a Veterinarian who owned a Vet hospital. Our yards were only separated by a chain link fence. He was partially disabled and used a walker, one day I heard him yelling "get her, get her" So I ran to the fence and saw his toddler daughter had fallen into the pool. So I hopped the fence, dove in with my clothes on and pulled her out. She was fine and he was very grateful.

The next week I brought my Cat in to him to be spayed and he charged me $80, which was almost four times the regular fee because he said she had "complications". That was a lot of money for me back then.

I was pretty pissed, but of course didn't regret saving his kid, but I learned the hard way that good deeds aren't necessarily rewarded! LOL

Upvote 0
I'm really confused, he's set up paypal accounts because he didn't want for it to be about the money, then started it back up again, then took it down, then posted it back up.

Does anyone realize that these are the only posts he has on this forum? IE he's had this phone for 39 days, but decided not to post until he broke it and needed money.

THEN, the parents told him they'd replace it, paying the full amount, and now you guys are still giving him money, even though someone else is already paying for his phone???

I'm really confused as to what's going on here.

if I go on a car site and say that I crashed mine into a tree to avoid a kid, would you guys donate thousands of dollars to me, even if it was my first post in the forum???

Upvote 0
wow...my ass is worn out after reading this entire thread. thanks for your good dead darin...you will definitely be repaid sometime in the future...

one other piece of advice...take the eris from verizon for 50 bucks and ebay it.i'm sure it will bring well over 50 bucks....i would also tell the parents how much the phone costs and tell them to pay whatever they think they could pay.i would hate to strong arm them...but that's just me

Upvote 0
In my professsion I encounter mendacity daily. Darin's post rings true to me and I have a very sensitive BS meter.

I therefore forwarded this link to 2 news organizations requesting that VZ provide Darin with a new phone free of charge. I hope VZ follows through because I can imagine that the replacement cost of the phone is a burden on the child's family in this economy. I'm sure Darin has no desire to become a celebrity, but hope VZ does the right thing and quietly replaces his phone.

Upvote 0
Darin you did a damn good thing and its something you can be proud of for the rest of your life. Surely its a story that kids parents and probably the kid are going to tell for the rest of their lives. Personally if I were you I would ask the parents for whatever they were willing to contribute and pay for the rest on my own. What goes around really does come around so you have something real good coming your way. It may not be a cool a** phone but I am sure your good deed will be repaid.

If that was my kid I would be buying you a new phone, a new computer and anything else you wanted.

Upvote 0
I'm really confused, he's set up paypal accounts because he didn't want for it to be about the money, then started it back up again, then took it down, then posted it back up.

Does anyone realize that these are the only posts he has on this forum? IE he's had this phone for 39 days, but decided not to post until he broke it and needed money.

THEN, the parents told him they'd replace it, paying the full amount, and now you guys are still giving him money, even though someone else is already paying for his phone???

I'm really confused as to what's going on here.

if I go on a car site and say that I crashed mine into a tree to avoid a kid, would you guys donate thousands of dollars to me, even if it was my first post in the forum???

It wasn't his idea to setup a paypal or post a paypal link. The members requested he set one up for donations. He then took it down because of some members saying the same thing you are now. Then it was requested again that he posted it. If you don't want to donate then don't. If anyone does want to donate then so be it.

Upvote 0
Alright, so new developments, you all ready for this...

So anyway, about 2 hours ago my wife called Verizon and ordered me a new Incredible. Her reasoning was, "Darin this is your graduation present and you're not getting screwed out of it because you saved some kid's life."

So my wife calls the parents to let them know that it's going to be the $576.33 (or whatever the amount was), and the father says something to the affect of "Gee, that's more than we expected, but it is what it is. Where do I send the check to?"

Then low and behold, 15 minutes ago he calls back to say something to the affect, "You know we really didn't plan on spending $600 for a new phone, and really three people are at fault here, us, Darin, and the homeowners."

He went on some speel about how he can get one on Craig's list for $350 and that pretty much he's not willing to pay more than that.

Do I just let it go, take the $350, and forget about it?

- Darin

Upvote 0

So anyway, about 2 hours ago my wife called Verizon and ordered me a new Incredible. Her reasoning was, "Darin this is your graduation present and you're not getting screwed out of it because you saved some kid's life."

So my wife calls the parents to let them know that it's going to be the $576.33 (or whatever the amount was), and the father says something to the affect of "Gee, that's more than we expected, but it is what it is. Where do I send the check to?"

Then low and behold, 15 minutes ago he calls back to say something to the affect, "You know we really didn't plan on spending $600 for a new phone, and really three people are at fault here, us, Darin, and the homeowners."

He went on some speel about how he can get one on Craig's list for $350 and that pretty much he's not willing to pay more than that.

- Darin

Take the $350 and know you are a better person than he is. $225 isnt worth the fight

Upvote 0

- Darin

EDIT:

I am appalled at what transpired here (on the father's part), but I take back my initial reaction, which was typed in the heat of the moment. Clearly this guy is selfish and has a poor character, unless we don't know the whole story. That said, I'd do what I've done in the past in similar (not facts, just principle) situations. I'd take his $350, tell him you hope his son is doing alright, hang up, and cut my losses. Some things in life just aren't worth it and this guy is not worth it. What comes around goes around -- good and bad.

Upvote 0
Not trying to sound rude or heartless, but 600 bucks is a lot of money. You dove in after the kid (no doubt that was the right thing to do) and lost a material possession. BUT, you also saved someone's kid!!!

Look at the big picture, if you get a new phone, great. If you don't, well it was only a phone. Things happen. Brand new cars get wrecked everyday.

The kid's dad is getting you a phone. IMO, you have no room to complain.

My .02

Reactions: Android_Goat
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones