• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Saving a Map in Google Maps

How do you save a map in Google Maps on a S5
Thanks
Hi Ralph, welcome to Android forums.

When you have the map area you want to save displayed, either tap the three bar menu button top left or slide the menu in from the left side and tap 'Your places'.

On the next page scroll to the bottom and tap 'Save a new off line map', you then get the option to zoom in or out to adjust the area to be saved before tapping 'Save'.

Name your saved map then to view it go into 'Your places' again and you will see your saved map/s listed at the bottom of the page. Tap on the map name you want to view or tap 'View all and manage' for options to rename, renew or delete .

(This is on my HTC M9 - carrier EE, I'm assuming it will be the same for you but there has been at least one case where a carrier seems to have 'meddled' with Google Maps settings/options - specifically volume level in 'Navigation settings'.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you mean by 'alternative route'.

If you mean the one or two alternative routes that Maps automatically calculate and display, if appropriate, when you ask for directions, then as far as I know, it is not possible to save any of the routes directly within Maps.

One workaround is when you have the routes displayed 'share' them with yourself, eg by email. You can then open the email, click on the link and Maps opens with the routes displayed.

Having said that I'm at a loss to see any real point in doing that. o_O

If you mean something else, perhaps you could be more specific.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It wanted me to take the fastest route, but I picked the one with No Tolls but could not save that route. Hope that help what I am trying to say. When you go to save it, it only wants to save the fastest route. It reverts back.
Thanks

I've just done the same thing, asked for directions and it's given me the fastest route, l've then opted for a route without tolls and it's given me two alternative routes.

Now I'm not sure whether you've checked this, and it's possibly not an ideal solution, but if you go into Settings-Maps history, the toll-free route is there and will remain in history, for future use, until such time that you decide to delete it.

I tend to clear out my 'Maps history' on a regular basis and find it isn't a problem to keep track of a particular route/location - if necessary I keep any item at the top of the list by selecting it from time to time.

Hope this helps.

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones