Saving Contacts To Google or Phone?

Last Updated:

1. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do people prefer to save their contacts? To Google or to their phone?

At the moment mine are on my phone, but I have been told there are several benefits to saving them to Google.

Is there a way of transferring them from my phone to Google? Or do I have to re-enter them on either the phone or a PC?

Also, if I add a person's birthday in my phonebook, will it automatically appear on the calendar?

Cheers.

Advertisement
  2. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

Not sure about birthdays, maybe I have missed something?

But with regards to changing the type go to people, press menu then import/export. Export all to SD card.

Then Import from SD in same manner, import under google account.

Now once you are happy with this go to menu > view and select google only (or what you wish if anything else)

You can also view phone only then delete all these as you have copied them as google

3. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

there may be an easier way; but, if you export all your phone contacts to sdcard, then import but save to gmail account, they all appear there. I used phone but now google as it's backed up, and in view you can select to only view those with a phone number.
    Dont know about bdays

4. JohnnyBravo1000

Thanks, mate.

I think I have sorted it now. I now have no numbers under phone, but all my contacts under Google!

5. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

Awesome,

Another way to check is login to gmail on your PC, under contacts all your contacts should appear! Magic!

6. JohnnyBravo1000

It works! I will no longer need to worry about backing up my numbers again! As an added bonus, the numbers seem to keep their format, and are not displayed with hyphens/dashes like when you back up to the SD card.

With regards to the birthdays, you can add a contact's birthday under extra or additional information on either the phone or PC. I think this will also be displayed on the calendar if you use the calendar.

7. JohnnyBravo1000

Just tried the above and it doesn't work. It's no big deal, but could have been a handy addition and would be easy enough to implement with an update.

8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

No the birthdays don't add to calendar. Fbcal is an app that works for some, but not for me until it was too late. It exports facebook calendar into a format that can be used to create a second calendar in gmail. Search here or Google it.

9. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I downloaded an free app on the market called "EboBirthday".l It takes all the birthdays from your contacts on your phone and facebook (plus some others), adds them to its internal database and then updates your phone calendar, which in turn - uploads to the google calendar.

Just what ive been looking for.