Saving multiple SMS drafts?Support

Last Updated:

1. HippoMan

HippoMan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to do something on my G1 that I used to do often on my Blackberry: write and save a number of SMS drafts before sending some or all of them out. The standard Messaging app on the G1 doesn't seem to support this, but do any of you know of another way I can accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.
    .​

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

the native SMS saves draft ... just stop typing and dont hit the send but use the hardware back-key (draft created ) and is visible in the message thread of the person you were going to txt ... if you have added multiple contacts to the send to: all of those contacts are saved in the draft msg in the thread of one of the contacts that you selected to send the msg to ... so you could make any number of drafts to as many contacts as you like ...

3. HippoMan

Thanks.

Yes, I know that the native SMS saves one draft per recipient. But what I'm looking for is the ability to save multiple drafts for the same recipient. This is currently not possible, as far as I can tell.

The reason I want this is due to a personal idiosyncracy. If I want to type a long SMS to someone (more than 160 characters), what I like to do is split the message at logical places such as after commas, sentence endings, etc. I do this by getting close to the end of a given SMS message and then stopping it at the point that I choose, saving it as a draft, and then continuing my text in a new SMS starting at the beginning of the next sentence, phrase, etc. Then, once the set of drafts is completed, I first proofread and make corrections in the entire group of drafts, and only then will I manually send them off, one after the other.

Yes, I know I can type a long message and the SMS app will automatically split it into pieces after 160 characters, but that often splits words or breaks sentences and phrases in places that I don't want them broken. I know I'm unusual in not liking this, and that's why I refer to this as a personal idiosyncracy.

Nonetheless, I was able to do this easily on the Blackberry, and also just as easily when running under Symbian on a Nokia phone. I'm looking for some way to approximate this functionality under Android ... if it's even possible.
    .​

4. justjimjpc

but you have any number of drafts started for the same person just as you described ...
    New Msg ... type .... use backkey (saves as Draft)
    as infinitum ....

easy concept and exactly as i read you description of what you like to do

5. HippoMan

I'm confused. When I do that, the second draft overwrites the first draft for the same recipient, and then the third draft overwrites the second draft for the same recipient, etc. In other words, I only get to save one draft per recipient.

I must be doing something different from what you are doing. Here are the exact steps I'm following:

• Invoke the Messaging app.
    • Select the Menu key.
    • Select Compose.
    • Select recipient.
    • Compose first SMS.
    • Select the Back key (draft 1 gets saved).
    • Select the Menu key.
    • Select Compose.
    • Select same recipient as before.
    • Compose second SMS.
    • Select the Back key (draft 2 gets saved).

But at this point, only the text for draft 2 remains. Draft 1 has been overwritten.

What am i doing wrong?

PS: I'm running RC33, if that makes a difference.
    .​

6. HippoMan

Also, the same thing happens if I just select New Message in the Messaging app instead of Menu->Compose. In other words, I can save drafts, but draft 2 overwrites draft 1 for the same recipient, draft 3 overwrites draft 2 for the same recipient, etc.

Is there perhaps some sort of option that I have to set which will tell the Messaging app to save more than one draft per recipient?
    .​

7. justjimjpc

I apologize I have tested it on both RC33 1.1 & rooted 1.5 and it is working as you desscribe... i would have sworn that I had multiple drafts before :eek:

8. justjimjpc

I dont think that the current native messaging system will do separate drafts in the configuration (like a thread) for each contact or messageID ...

soory ... I dont know if there is a 3rd party replacement ???

9. HippoMan

No problem. It might be that the Messaging app worked differently in an older version of the OS.

I just appreciate that you've been taking the time to try to help me. :)
    .​

10. HippoMan

I've been looking through the Market, and I couldn't find anything.

One app that almost does what I like is AK Notepad. It lets me create multiple notes and then send them off via SMS. The only drawback to this method is that I don't know the character count of the notes, so it's hard to tell how close to 160 characters I've gotten to. But perhaps over time I can learn to estimate that by sight.

Maybe it's time for me to get the SDK and create an app myself.
    .​

11. justjimjpc

You are most welcome but i have but the Current TMO legit version on one phone and the Cupcake 1.5 on a 2nd phone and they both are doing the same thing ... since the app lumps nornal message in a thread ..( i like that over single msgs from each contact just scrambled all over ... it makes for coherent msging ) this lumping probably carries over into the drafts and is not working as i would expect ... it is work a visit to google and post the problem

12. HippoMan

OK. I'll do that. Maybe this is an "unintended feature" (i.e., a bug).

Thanks again.
    .​

13. HippoMan

It's been a few months since my last posting to this thread, and I'm bumping this question in case anyone knows of any new apps or features which might address my issue.

To repeat, I'm looking for the ability to keep multiple SMS drafts per recipient before sending any of them off. Currently, Android (Cupcake) only allows a single SMS draft to be kept per recipient.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for apps or ways in which I can do this under Cupcake.
    .​