• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Saving pics and files to SD card

CJUphoria

Lurker
Jul 7, 2013
I'm having a struggle trying to save my pics to SD card. I noticed all my pics were being saved to device storage, and not my 16g SD card. So I went to My Files and selected a folder from my gallery to move to my SD card. I moved it and it seemed to work, but when I went to my Gallery all the pics were gone, just empty grey boxes.
Not sure what to do or what I did wrong. I tried moving them back to device storage, but the pics were not there.

-CJ:thinking:

What about pictures that I save from the internet? How do I make sure those are also saved on SD card?

The free file manager 'ES File Explorer' has a build-in download manager which let you choose the SD card for the download folder.
When you start a download your browser will ask you which download manager you want to use :)

Harry

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your guys help. I tried moving a folder of pics from my device storage to sd card..it seemed to move, but when I go to my pictures gallery, all the pics in that folder are gone..just grey boxes of where the picture were.
Spent like 30 mins trying to fix it, moving folder back, looking at all folders in MyFiles. but pics don't show up there either.
They couldn't have been deleted, they got to be somewhere on phone. How do I restore the pics again? Frustrating.

Upvote 0
I'm having a struggle trying to save my pics to SD card. I noticed all my pics were being saved to device storage, and not my 16g SD card. So I went to My Files and selected a folder from my gallery to move to my SD card. I moved it and it seemed to work, but when I went to my Gallery all the pics were gone, just empty grey boxes.
Not sure what to do or what I did wrong. I tried moving them back to device storage, but the pics were not there.

-CJ:thinking:

I always do mine through my PC...when you go into the phone you will see the card and the phone storage...go into one DCIM folder, copy them and paste them in the other...:D

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your guys help. I tried moving a folder of pics from my device storage to sd card..it seemed to move, but when I go to my pictures gallery, all the pics in that folder are gone..just grey boxes of where the picture were.
Spent like 30 mins trying to fix it, moving folder back, looking at all folders in MyFiles. but pics don't show up there either.
They couldn't have been deleted, they got to be somewhere on phone. How do I restore the pics again? Frustrating.

How did you move the files over to sd card? Can you verify that the files are on your SD card? (not using the gallery, but using whatever file explorer you are using)?
If you are using the stock Samsung "Myfiles", go to All Files, SD Memory card, and try to find your pictures in the folders there (assuming that is where you moved it to). Once you find the photos, next step would be to get them to your gallery.

Too late to do so if you haven't already done this, but do you have your photos auto-upload to google plus (instant upload) or to dropbox (camera upload)? If not, it may be something to consider - in case you lose your phone, or it crashes, or you accidentally delete your pictures.

If you already had one of these enabled, you can just download your pictures from there to your phone.

Upvote 0
How did you move the files over to sd card? Can you verify that the files are on your SD card? (not using the gallery, but using whatever file explorer you are using)?
If you are using the stock Samsung "Myfiles", go to All Files, SD Memory card, and try to find your pictures in the folders there (assuming that is where you moved it to). Once you find the photos, next step would be to get them to your gallery.

Too late to do so if you haven't already done this, but do you have your photos auto-upload to google plus (instant upload) or to dropbox (camera upload)? If not, it may be something to consider - in case you lose your phone, or it crashes, or you accidentally delete your pictures.

If you already had one of these enabled, you can just download your pictures from there to your phone.

I used the stock Samsung MyFiles. I selected the folder with pics and long pressed it and selected MOVE and selected the SD card.
I found the folder of my pics that I moved on SD card. I attached a screen shot of it but as you can see no thumbnails and when I click on pic it says LOAD FAIL.
I do have my pics backed up in my PC, but I do have already organized around 1000 pics into categories on my phone. Those I haven't tried moving. I just tried moving a big picture folder of random pics I haven't yet organized yet..around 2000 pics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-11-09-00-38~02.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-11-09-00-38~02.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones